1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support SMS: Why do I see so many contacts??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by EdNerd, Apr 26, 2011.

1. EdNerd

EdNerd Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    I'm new to the Android world, so forgive me if I'm overlooking a basic function. I wanted to send a simple text message. Created a new message and tapped Contacts under the TO: field.

Who are all these people??!? It's supposed to just be a list of all my phone contacts, like it's been on every other phone I've used! Instead, it's also everyone I've ever sent gmail to or received gmail from!!

Is there a setting that will trim this back to show only those in my phone contacts? Preferable by the groups (family, work, etc)?

Ed

Advertisement

2. nunyazz

nunyazz Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Contacts/menu button/more/Display options/Choose contacts to display (uncheck google, etc)

3. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    Another option is to use the filter for your contacts, and only show those with phone numbers.

It's mainly because a little known "Feature", is that SMS's are really just emails :)

4. Gibbyson

Gibbyson Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    Chances are you, unknowingly, have an extremely long gmail contact list. best thing to do is to clean up the google contacts on a computer, and leave sync to gmail on. It's really convenient to be able to manage your contacts on a computer instead of manually on your phone. Just IMO.

Gibbyson

5. EdNerd

EdNerd Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    I unchecked Google and even set "only phone numbers". But when I create a new text and hit the contacts button, everything shows.

It looks like it's that pesky setting under Display Options >> Phone >> All Other Contacts. So I'm going to have to create another group or two and assign every phone contact to a group, and then display only those groups.

Okay - I can live with that.
    Ed