1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

SMSC Number Change

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Joe Bottini, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Joe Bottini

Joe Bottini Lurker

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I545 running Android 5.0.1 (Baseband version I545VRSGPL1). My carrier has been Verizon, but I recently switched to AT&T. After switching the SIM card and updating the APN, I can do MMS messages, calls, data, and receive SMS messages. However, I cannot send SMS messages.

From browsing other forum posts, this seems to be an issue from the SMSC number. I've tried the settings within the default Messaging app and the keypad *#*#4636#*#* within the Phone app, but neither give me the ability to see nor edit the SMSC number.

Is there another way to edit the SMSC number? Do I have to root the phone to edit it? Could this be caused by anything else? Would a factory reset restore the Messaging app to a previous state where I could edit the SMSC number?

Thanks, and I appreciate any help or insight that can be provided.

2. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Welcome to Android Forums @Joe Bottini :)

I had a somewhat similar situation with a Galaxy S3 running a custom rooted CWM 12.1 rom. Mine wasn't due to the smsc but to the modifications I had done. I found the only way I could send text messages was to take a screen shot of my text and send via mms.

PS: I eventually got back the ability to send sms messages.

#2 MrJavi, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Xavier Black likes this.
  3. Joe Bottini

Joe Bottini Lurker

That's essentially what I've been doing: attaching a picture to whatever text I want to send. Considering the data used, it's terribly inefficient, but it's only a little inconvenient. It's more the principle of being able to restore this basic and fundamental feature of my phone.

I haven't rooted the phone but am considering doing so. From what I've read, if it is the SMSC number, it should be a basic fix that was once trivial.

To restore SMS, did you have to tweak the modifications you made? Or did it just come back in time? Verizon has told me to pound sand as I'm not their customer anymore, and the AT&T reseller doesn't have an idea of how to fix it. Considering my best guess is the SMSC number, it appears it's on me since it's my device.

Thanks again.

MrJavi likes this.
  4. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Xavier Black likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews