• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Snapdragon Glance (contextual notification-oriented lockscreen)

codesplice

Elite Recognized Moderator
Oct 29, 2013
Huntsville, AL
It looks like Qualcomm is throwing their collective hat into the "intelligent contextual lockscreen" ring, competing with the likes of Cover (which I totally recommend if you haven't tried it out yet).

Snapdragon™ Glance is an intelligent lock screen application, which makes it easy for you to quickly access the information you need.

At a glance you can quickly see what is new since you last looked at your device: view important notifications, see when your next appointment is, check the weather, launch relevant apps and contact people more quickly.

Glance works in conjunction with Qualcomm's Battery Guru application, which attempts to learn when and where you use certain applications and adjust their sync schedules accordingly. Glance uses the information learned by Battery Guru to suggest apps that you are likely to use.

8hN3Nzs32bKBdHeN0iA0iPcSPTzSoeLbsQ7m8f0jB4IowLnXppTmxGOh1-Zf4JkoxRDR=h900-rw

I've been using Cover for quite a while, but I'm definitely going to give Glance a try. Check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.glance

Reactions: funkylogik
So far, I think I prefer Cover. It looks better, and introduces new functionality without breaking my slide-to-unlock muscle memory. Cover also recently added music controls, which was the primary thing that made me give it up in the first place.

If Glance can find a way to work with a swiping gesture (maybe swipe up to unlock, swipe sideways to dismiss notifications) and add in music control or at least widget support, I think it has a serious chance of winning me over. I love being able to view and dismiss notifications without unlocking my phone.

Upvote 0
I might give that a go later.

Do you absolutely need the battery guru app for it to work or does it just work better when you have the app installed?

I haven't checked to be sure, but it seems like Battery Guru is actually required - which I suppose limits the usefulness of Glance to only phones with a Qualcomm SOC. It would be nice to be able to just get the notification access without the "intelligent" app suggestions, but SlideLock is probably a better option if that's what you're into.

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones