• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SNS stopping unexpectedly on every startup

cziffra

Lurker
Jan 3, 2011
Hi

I have a Samsung Galaxy S and it has a problem starting up: every single time I ever turn it on, it freezes momentarily and comes up with this message:

The application SNS (process com.sec.android.app.sns) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I have to force close it and sometimes its fine, other times it does it again, and once I sat there for forty minutes watching it crash over and over again.

I searched the forum but couldn't find any reference to it.

Please help!

I'm having the exact same problem. My phone is an expensive paperweight right now. If it gets through start-up (usually after crashing rebooting 3 or 4 times), half the time any application I use (including phone calls and text messaging) causes force close and the reboot process to start over again.

What is the SNS process and how can I fix this, preferably without losing all my data.

I have a LG Vortex.

Upvote 0
The only way (I have found) to fix this is to delete the application setting and start over. Restarting the phone does not work, nor does removing and re-adding the account.

To completely remove the setting and database, go to

menu>settings>Applications> Manage Applications

From there

menu> Filter>All

Scroll down and select email

Choose "Clear Data"

This will wipe out all your accounts, and the underlying data and give you a fresh start.

Upvote 0
SNS is your social network services. It is also part of you account syncing. When you first start up your phone, your phone attempts to sync your accounts, if one fails to sync, you will get the error message. And throughout the day, through phone use, everytime you access that account, make a change, and then your phone tries to sync those changes, the same error message will appear again.
You need to go to your Accounts and Sync section in your settings and find out which of your accounts is failing to sync properly. For example, mine was Facebook. The simple solution, you would think, is to uninstall facebook, but that won't fix the error. The sync function will still fail on startup even if facebook is gone from your third party applications list. You will need to reinstall Facebook, log in to it, then go back to Settings, Accounts and Sync, you should see two identical accounts, but one with a red error message about syncing...delete that account, and leave the other (new install) alone. I rebooted, and problem was gone for good.
Now, maybe your problem was not Facebook, could be Twitter, could be gmail, etc. just make sure you clear data and uninstall the app account and clear data in the sns file found in the Manage Applications, All, SNS.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
SNS is your social network services. It is also part of you account syncing. When you first start up your phone, your phone attempts to sync your accounts, if one fails to sync, you will get the error message. And throughout the day, through phone use, everytime you access that account, make a change, and then your phone tries to sync those changes, the same error message will appear again.
You need to go to your Accounts and Sync section in your settings and find out which of your accounts is failing to sync properly. For example, mine was Facebook. The simple solution, you would think, is to uninstall facebook, but that won't fix the error. The sync function will still fail on startup even if facebook is gone from your third party applications list. You will need to reinstall Facebook, log in to it, then go back to Settings, Accounts and Sync, you should see two identical accounts, but one with a red error message about syncing...delete that account, and leave the other (new install) alone. I rebooted, and problem was gone for good.
Now, maybe your problem was not Facebook, could be Twitter, could be gmail, etc. just make sure you clear data and uninstall the app account and clear data in the sns file found in the Manage Applications, All, SNS.
Good luck!

Hello. I appreciate your answer. Apparently I'm facing a problem that cannot be solved that easy, and the reason is "sns has stopped" message pop up when I choose the option Accounts in the settings. So I can't really see which account has te problem. Any solution? Thank you

Upvote 0
Did you notice this thread is 3 years old.
The original posters most likely have moved on to other pastures by now.

I personally own the Samsung Galaxy S and it is still in service and working perfectly.
It has never once popped up the message spoken of in this thread.

The solution is simple, perform a Factory Reset and start from scratch. Something has mangled one of the operating system files, and you cannot access that file to repair/replace it.
Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen on, turns WiFi & Data ON

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones