• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So am I pretty much screwed?

DoomQuas

Lurker
Feb 1, 2015
I bought a Boost Mobile Moto G off of Craigslist with the MEID being clean. However, I see there's still the previous owner's number shown on the settings, but I shrugged it off thinking I can easily just transfer my old Boost number to this device, but booooyyy was I wrong. I called Boost Care 3-4 times with each of them giving me different solutions, but said one same thing. "The previous owner's service is still active on the phone and you will need his PIN code in order to remove the phone from the account". Such bull. I can't use the "Forgot my pin number" method either because it won't send the number to this phone. What am I to do? Is the phone pretty much useless now? It's my first time buying something off of Craigslist. It's going to be my last too.

Have you tried contacting the seller to have them remove their number?

Tried a number wipe (AKA carrier reset)? Go to the dial pad and enter ##72786#

You might have to enter your MSL number, not sure if the Moto G requires it.
Thing is, it's not the seller's original phone.

His response was: "Don't know the original owner. It was donated to a non-profit and they gave it to me because they didn't need it."

And carrier reset didn't work either. Went to the website again to enter the MEID number and it's giving me errors.

Upvote 0
I bought a Boost Mobile Moto G off of Craigslist with the MEID being clean. However, I see there's still the previous owner's number shown on the settings, but I shrugged it off thinking I can easily just transfer my old Boost number to this device, but booooyyy was I wrong. I called Boost Care 3-4 times with each of them giving me different solutions, but said one same thing. "The previous owner's service is still active on the phone and you will need his PIN code in order to remove the phone from the account". Such bull. I can't use the "Forgot my pin number" method either because it won't send the number to this phone. What am I to do? Is the phone pretty much useless now? It's my first time buying something off of Craigslist. It's going to be my last too.

If the phone is still active, why wouldn't it send the pin Text'd to your phone? Is the BoostZone app still on the phone?
Forgot Your Account Pin is on the page under - View Account Information.

Try online switching your account to this phone, using the MEID/ESN, "Update Handset" non human interaction. Or call the phone prompts, non human version.

Worst case, wait 30/60/90 days? How long does an inactive account stay in Boost's system

Upvote 0
If the phone is still active, why wouldn't it send the pin Text'd to your phone? Is the BoostZone app still on the phone?
Forgot Your Account Pin is on the page under - View Account Information.

Try online switching your account to this phone, using the MEID/ESN, "Update Handset" non human interaction. Or call the phone prompts, non human version.

Worst case, wait 30/60/90 days? How long does an inactive account stay in Boost's system
I've tried that as well. It tells me Activation Error. Guess I have to wait 72 hours for the higher ups to take a look into the case.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones