1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

So, any news on the Rooting front?

Discussion in 'Rogers' started by nicracine, Feb 18, 2010.

1. nicracine

nicracine Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Hi guys,

It seems the uproar bout Rogers' up/downgrade fiasco has died down.

I used to love my Magic, running a CM Android 1.6 ROM, but not anymore. I feel I am stuck with an inferior phone, and I can't wait to get an upgrade, one way or another.

Soooo, does anyone has news about a possible rooting method for those of us stuck with the new 1.5 up/downgrade from Rogers? I can't afford a Milestone right now, unfortunately, so I can't wait to root my phone again. I wish I could help in any way, but I just don,t have the technical expertise to do it.

Nicolas Racine

Advertisement

2. TriC

TriC Well-Known Member

nope... no fix yet.. if you did the update.

3. mjschmidt

mjschmidt Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Male
    In my house.
    What if you haven't done the update yet, and have never rooted your Magic?

Is there a way to root the Magic to fix the 911 bug which also gets your data back without having to sign the waiver?

4. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Toronto
    Yup, there is a way.

5. nicracine

nicracine Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I don't think it is possible. From what I have read, those who have rooted their phone, and did not do the update, got away with it by requesting a network refresh (NR). Nowadays, Rogers' CSR systematically refuse to do NR., So no luck.

The only solution left, i think, is to find a time-travelling machine. :)

When I got my Magic, I hesitated between cancelling my Rogers account for a Samsung Omnia 2 and getting the Magic. Guess what mistake I would correct?

Nicolas Racine

6. damnmad

damnmad Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Toronto
    You can tell them you have some other phone. Alternatively, leaving the phone off for 20-30 minutes gets you a network refresh.

7. zortoflaven

zortoflaven Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Student
    Halifax, NS
    Set your phone to use 2G only. When the Edge indicator comes on, untick it and you should get 3G back. I have done this several times and it worked every time :)

8. XBrav

XBrav Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Student
    Calgary
    Actually... I think I know how to get Rogers off of your back...

Anybody called in with a different IMEI and had it changed on the account? I came across this while dealing with Fido, finding out that I could only get a certain value pack if I had a Fido IMEI on the account. So I got an OLD phone off of my friend, called up Fido, activated that IMEI, and continued to use my Dream. No problems yet!

-NOTE- I am post 911, however, my value pack hasn't been taken away. I figure Rogers is identifying users based on the IMEI on the account. So the solution is to call in and have it changed.