• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So any way to dim the media center clock and turn off the button lights yet?

I just got the update a little while ago, and just put the phone on a desk dock. The four buttons are not lit at all, in daytime or nighttime mode.

The dock I have now is connected to USB. I have a dock at home connected to a power jack. I will check to see if the behavior is different depending on the power source.

I have noticed before that while docked when connected to USB, the screen will time out and turn off... but not if the dock is connected to a power adapter. I hope this has changed.

Upvote 0
The 2.1 clock gets much dimmer than the droid clock. Not sure why it wasn't included in the update, maybe its an HTC app, afaik it came from the N1. Should be able to find it pretty easily. You do not need to be rooted to use it.

As far as the LEDs, I have only found the LED Hack app to turn them off. You need to be rooted to use it, its on the market. Of course if you are on stock 2.1 that means going back to 2.0.1 to get root.

Upvote 0
I rebooted my phone and now the lights are staying off.
I rebooted phone while docked, lights stayed off
took phone out of the doc, made a call, surfed the net and put it back in the dock, lights stayed off.

So it looks like a simple reboot got the results I was looking for.

Upvote 0
Not mine. As soon as the sensor is covered, the lights come on, in or out of the dock. Between this and the brightness level, it is completely unusable as a bedside clock. I still need to charge it and I still need to answer it at night, so I use another modern marvel called a wash cloth to cover it at night. It's not rocket science. It shouldn't take more than 1 minute to program the background to be black.
Also, I'm surprised no one complains about the fact that the dock comes with a 3 foot cord that doesn't come close to reaching an A/C outlet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones