• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help so anyone got SWYPE installed?

I experimented with the other tracing keyboards. I tested various sentences at both slow and and fast speeds. I quickly narrowed it down to SlideIT. SlideIT wasn't that great in the previous versions, because it wasn't terribly accurate at a higher tracing speed. Also, the dictionary was quite small, so a lot of words were not recognized. Well, version 3.2 has recently been released, and I got to say, I'm highly impressed. They have a new sexy website with tutorials, and a new keyboard layout and design. Version 3.2 came out a few days after I was experimenting with other tracer keyboards.

After narrowing down my choice to SlideIT, and becoming used to it's functions and calibration, I quickly adapted to it and I was soon not even thinking about Swype anymore. With the new Swype beta release, however, I wondered what was improved? So out of curiosity, I loaded the new Swype beta onto the device. I quickly felt right at home, comfortable and delighted being back with the long lost Swype app (After coming from an Samsung Captivate.)

It wasn't but a few minutes later after using it did I realize the differences between the two. So below are just some of the things that I've noticed which separate both.

SlideIT and Swype: Both tracer keyboards that function exactly alike in terms of tracing with your finger from letter to letter.

SlideIT and Swype: Both have very large dictionaries and pick up most, if not all spelling errors and does a great job interpreting what you were trying to type (trace) even if you missed a letter or two in the process.

SlideIT and Swype: Both have a great keyboard layout, however, with SlideIT you can now adjust the keyboard size (larger or smaller keys) on the fly <--Big deal for some, and not for others. Both have a basic keyboard layout that is simple looking, easy to type on and trace with.

SlideIT and Swype: Both have an on the fly spelling correction, however, they do it in different ways. On both, if you miss a couple letters while tracing, the program will try its best to figure out what you were trying to say, and both do a good job predicting that word. If both can't correct the word, they both offer a window with suggestions. If you skip the suggestions and trace on, and later go back to correct, they both do "spell checking" in different ways. SlideIT has a full-time window that shows suggestions/predictions (like the stock default HTC keyboard), also when you later go back to correct the word you simply click on the word and suggestions appear in the window below the type field. Swype essentially does the same thing, however there is no full-time suggestions window (which some may or may not prefer) instead you double tap the word (which sometimes brings up the default Android copy/paste/cut window OVER the Swype corrections window) and select the correct spelling/word. That was the downfall when going back and trying to correct your spelling mistakes with Swype - the double window overlap. SlideIT is super quick when correcting words, in that particular regard.

SlideIT and Swype: Both have great accuracy, and are always updating their dictionaries. One major difference here that I absolutely love about SlideIT is the fact that you can enter in words to the pre-installed dictionary! Genius (Swype, if you're reading this, allow people to enter in words to the dictionary to prevent from future mistakes). As you can imagine, this saves a great deal of time when entering in even your screen names, email addresses, etc., as you can can add anything to the dictionary (even if the word is not a real word) I have noticed, however, that SlideIT doesn't recognize simple words like "Hi" when you are tracing very fast. Like, when you trace "Hi" and your finger sort of hits the "J" key instead of the "H" key and then to the "I", it doesn't always interpret that mistake. Swype is a little more error tolerant when it comes to very fast tracing, and not always hitting the exact keys on simple words. But again, with the full-time correction window on SlideIT, you can quickly correct it and move on.

SlideIT and Swype: Tracing - both do a great job, and of course you can adjust the length of the line tracer on both. Another key difference between the two are the double letters while tracing. On Swpe, you do a squigly line around the letter, such as "t" in the previous word.... In Slideit, you just keep going. So for the letter "keep" you just need to trace "kep" and it will automatically insert the double letter. And if speed is your thing, then this makes a difference.

Both have pro's and con's. Ultimately it depends on the aesthetic appeal of the keyboard layout/design, and how you like to view the apps auto-correction window. Both are accurate, both correct spelling errors, both predict words, but again you can continue adding words on the fly and at anytime with SlideIT. For me, I missed the prediction window on SlideIT, and realized the advantages of SlideIT over Swype. Ultimately I went back to using SlideIT, and look forward to the keyboard skins they are going to be releasing soon! Because, damn....Swype sure looks sexy as hell. I hope my review on both help other trying to find a Swype replacement, or just another option.

Upvote 0
After my Swype beta expired I thought I'd try SlideIt, and after trying both I'm surprised what the reviews don't mention. Swype has two features that greatly spead up entering words that SlideIt doesn't: swyping through the space key is used to add punctuations, and "dragging" a letter up the screen capitalizes it. I liked SlideIt - until it became clear it could do neither of the above which really irked me. It forces you to have to manually spell words a surprising number of times throughout a post. If I have to manually spell words I'll stick to the stock keyboard.

Reactions: 2manyPHONES
Upvote 0
After my Swype beta expired I thought I'd try SlideIt, and after trying both I'm surprised what the reviews don't mention. Swype has two features that greatly spead up entering words that SlideIt doesn't: swyping through the space key is used to add punctuations, and "dragging" a letter up the screen capitalizes it. I liked SlideIt - until it became clear it could do neither of the above which really irked me. It forces you to have to manually spell words a surprising number of times throughout a post. If I have to manually spell words I'll stick to the stock keyboard.

Well I learned something new today, I didnt know about the space bar and punctuation. Thank you for making my life that much easier

Upvote 0

Agreed. SlideIT just didn't seem as polished and those "little" things you mention make for big aggravation.

Upvote 0

That's a nice feature for sure. Both should, and from what I've been able to tell, auto capitalize the necessary beginning letters to the words. The punctuation thing is a nice feature, though I don't use them enough to really call that a deciding factor to using Swype. I liked the ability of changing the keyboard size, and clicking on a single word to correct later on saved a lot of time for me.

What I like here is, the fact there are two great keyboard options for everyone's particular taste of typing. And as someone else earlier mentioned, Shapewriter, I will vouch and say that is amazingly accurate. 3.0.9 was their last release, and to me the keyboard is as ugly as sin, but it trumps both SlideIT and Swype in terms of accuracy when tracing as fast as your brain can possibly go. I believe Shapewriter were the first to implement the tracing algorithm back in the late 90's. SlideIT (whom I believe is based in Israel?) came out with similar tech earlier 2000, and then Swype later followed. I'm happy that there are at least two tracer keyboards in the Market, and two off market (Swype) that are all actively competing against each other. This competition will continuously bring about more accurate and superb updates to each keyboard that we use. I have all three installed on my phone (Shapewriter, SlideIT and Swype) and with each update they do, I try them out, and I've noticed I change keyboards after each update because someone always brings something new to the table.

@Dan1942 - When you refer to Flex 9, what do you mean by that? What is Flex 9?

Has anyone else tried Shapewriter? If not, give it a shot, just for fun. Side load the latest apk, v. 3.0.9. It really is awesome, but again, the design, IMHO, really lacks.

Upvote 0
That's a nice feature for sure. Both should, and from what I've been able to tell, auto capitalize the necessary beginning letters to the words...
Both do, but what I was referring to is how with Swype, it's trival to capitalize any letter at any time. From what I could tell with SlideIt, to spell for example, oh, "SlideIt", would require typing it manually in order to get the "i" capitalized. With Swype you just loop your finger up the screen right after moving over the letter "i". Between that and being able to seamlessly insert punctuation made all the difference with me.

That said, I agree with you that having more than one product on the market is great for us.

Upvote 0
When I did a search for Shapewriter, it led me to the Nuance page, which claims that Shapewriter is now part of their "family" of products. They say "FlexT9 for Android is a four-in-one keyboard experience that enables you to Speak, Trace, Write or Tap input based on your needs at any given moment in time." The "Trace" part of it sounds like it was (or was based on?) Shapewriter.

Upvote 0
When I did a search for Shapewriter, it led me to the Nuance page, which claims that Shapewriter is now part of their "family" of products. They say "FlexT9 for Android is a four-in-one keyboard experience that enables you to Speak, Trace, Write or Tap input based on your needs at any given moment in time." The "Trace" part of it sounds like it was (or was based on?) Shapewriter.

Oh, I see what you're saying now. Looks and sounds as though Nuance purchased Shapewriter. I never heard of Nuance, and I don't quite understand what they do. They just may be a company that houses certain profitable/patented technologies and markets them for corporate purchases. I think Shapewriter, now owned by Nuance, is going down the same road Swype is. Meaning, Swype offers their apps to companies for purchase to include in their phones portfolio, or select devices. Swype says on their website, the reason why they are not going to put an keyboard app in the market, is because there are far too many phones with different screen sizes and performance changes that calibration may be off, and thus their product could turn out to be not as accurate as they intend for it to be. Each release, and download are for specific phones, to match their screen dimensions and performance.

Honestly, I doubt that. If other companies such as the two current trace keyboards for sale in the market can work on multiple devices, universally, then Swype should be able to as well. And, from everyone using beta's year after year on multiple devices, I think it proves that theory wrong. What I think Swype does, and what it looks Shapewriter is doing, is offering their keyboards to phone manufactures to include in their software bundle. Samsung Galaxy S phones all include the Swype keyboard. Maybe some other phone manufacturers do as well, but I'm not aware of any. They also market to Symbian and Windows Mobile devices. This way, signing a contract with a major cell phone company, they make big dollars. I admire both routes these companies market their keyboards are going. Both offer customers various tools that help the individuals trace/type faster. Some people prefer one over the other, and that is great because these keyboard companies need competition to continue advancing the technology. Swype and SlideIT can't include all of the cool little functions into the keyboard, it would be just way too much on the screen for it all to make sense. Swype offers certain functions over SlideIT, and visa versa. I for one hope Shapewriter continues to put out updates, because its been a long time since their last one. But it still is amazing how accurate it is. You can miss a few keys, and it still predicts the word. It's nice.

Upvote 0
Just out of curousity, has anyone tried the FlexT9 keyboard that is in the market? It has that Dragon Dictation technology, as well as Shapewriters trace technology incorporated. I'm really interested in trying this out, however I'm not sure if I want to pay another 4.99 for a keyboard application as I've already purchased SlideIT. I'd like to see what FlexT9 can do though.

If anyone downloads it, please give it a good test and if you don't mind reporting back here to give your thoughts on it, that would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Ok, I took the plunge and purchased FlexT9. FlexT9 is owned by Nuance, the same company that invented Dragon dictation (Speech to text). You've probably seen those commercials. Anyway, before FlexT9, it was Shapewriter, and after the take-over, Nuance re-named it FlexT9. It's good technology, but there are hardly any features included that are on both Swype and SlideIT. I'll get to those in a minute.

I gave myself 10 min to give it as good as a test as I could, and if I wasn't satisfied with it, then I would have enough time to return it. So I gave it a shot. First impression was the keyboard design and layout. Nice design, though the bright white keys overtime look like blinding white neon lights with a bright neon turquoise blue tracing line. That started to hurt my eyes a bit, and that color scheme seemed aimed at pre-teens/teens. The keyboard layout is very similar to an iphone keyboard, and also functions fairly the same. In fact, when you click on a letter to type, a shadow of that key pops up above your finger as a confirmation. I believe stock Android keyboards do that as well. Swype and SlideIT doesnt, and that is a nice feature if you don't mind an extra thing popping up in an already limited screen space.

I also traced some rather difficult sentences, starting with basic English, and working my way to a more advanced vocabulary. I even tried inputting punctuations, and there are no short cuts as Swype offers. So to those that like that punctuation shortcut, you may not like this app.

The accuracy is very similar to how Shapewriter originally was. Hence the same tracing technology. However, (because I do have shapewriter installed on my phone, as well) it isn't as accurate, especially at a higher tracing speed. The only reason I can think of, on why that would be, is because of a different calibration they did to accommodate the newly designed keyboard. Bigger words that have 3, 4+ syllables, FlexT9 doesn't have a problem at all getting right, even if you miss a few keys in the tracing process, however it is the words like "Hi" and "Yes" that it has a problem getting right (if your tracing very fast). Especially words where the letters are all on the same line.

It does have a pop-up dictionary above the keyboard (similar to SlideIT's) and acts the same way if you are correcting words on the fly. But unlike SlideIT and Swype where you can later go back and click on a word (double click with Swype) and suggested words appear to correct the spelling mistake, you can't do that with FlexT9. There was no spell checker mode or anything similar to what the later two offer. That was a huge downfall for me, because going back to correct misspelled words without a suggestion window is a pain and slows time down drastically. The whole point of these tracer keyboards is SPEED.

Lastly, there was no customizable dictionary like SlideIT (Does Swype have a customizable dictionary?). I can add to SlideIT even slang words, and later when I trace that word, it will predict it.

So, that was my short 10 minute app review. I tried to put it through the ringer, and I tried my best to figure out all that it offered. It really tries to be an all-in-one app and make it easy for the person. A hassle free app is a good app, but it offered no customization to how you like to trace (length of tracer trail, seconds to hold a key down before the secondary option is available etc.,). While I admire that they are trying to simplify the options and keyboard, having some customization within the preferences are nice options, especially if they are going to be charging about 5.00USD for it. Maybe future releases will bring this app to the top, but for now, it's not on the same level as Swype and SlideIT.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
I just downloaded the free trial version of SlideIt, and so far am loving it. Having 15 days to play with it takes the pressure off, and I suspect will get me comfortable enough with its features to make me stick with it instead of trying something new. Good marketing on their part!

Awesome. I'd be curious to know how you like it after 15 days. If you don't mind reporting back here and sharing your thoughts, that would be great.

Upvote 0
Huh, good input. I guess for me it's a big deal on not having to lift my finger once I start painting a word, and only Swype handles that. My reasoning is that if these products promise to allow painting words instead of typing, as soon as you have to type something (capital letter or punctuation), to me it means the product has failed, but that's just me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones