• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So Best Buy called me earlier today and said....

Casey with Bestbuy called me yesterday and scheduled my appointment at 4:30pm on 6/4. I have to work that day and I thought about taking it off to get the phone but then I realized I can find better uses for my vacation time.

there is no better use for vacation time :D but of course I have 80 hours so I have plenty lol

Upvote 0
Actually, I preordered at a BB Mobile store.....as the BB in my area does not carry Sprint phones.

So that could be one reason why I have an appointment time....being as it is a small store and probably couldnt handle the the line of alot of people.

Crap...I just thought of the fact that the BB Mobile is inside a mall, dont think it can open up earlier :(

I think they will call you on the 3rd and tell you what time to come in and get your phone. If they do not, I suppose that you can go at anytime

Upvote 0
I went into Best Buy again today to preorder my fiancee's EVO.

When I originally preordered, I was the first one to do so at the store and I didn't have to schedule anything today.

When I went in today to put in the second preorder, I asked if they would be scheduling times to come in. They said yes they were and that they would be calling everyone in order of when they preordered to make the "appointment." In my case, he said that since I was the first one to order, I'd get called first.

So don't worry too much if you haven't been scheduled.

Upvote 0
I was surprised walked into the Metcalf store the day of pre-orders around noon and turns out I was the 1st pre-order. She did say she has about 70 now though. She also said she was trying to do about 1 an hour starting at 7am. I dont know how well that will actually workout for her though...

I was number 4 at quivera at 11:30 the 1st day... I'm fairly surprised that the Metcalf store had so few... What I really wonder now is how many the sprint campus store will get on the day of launch.

Upvote 0
I think they will call you on the 3rd and tell you what time to come in and get your phone. If they do not, I suppose that you can go at anytime

Well I do have an appointment for 11:30 am...and they did tell me I could come in early, but if any one else with an earlier appointment is there I have to wait.

I just know that they probably wont be open at 7, because it is in the mall, and I dont think it opens that early for customers.

Thats why I might try RS instead, there is one right behind my house, and I could be first one there no matter how early they opened.....unless they are doing times too.

Upvote 0
Well I do have an appointment for 11:30 am...and they did tell me I could come in early, but if any one else with an earlier appointment is there I have to wait.

I just know that they probably wont be open at 7, because it is in the mall, and I dont think it opens that early for customers.

Thats why I might try RS instead, there is one right behind my house, and I could be first one there no matter how early they opened.....unless they are doing times too.

Well technically (I dunno about your Best Buy), my Best Buy has doors into the mall and doors from the outside. They could just open the outside doors and leave the door to the mall closed.

Upvote 0
Pre-ordered mine today at my local BB store. I was number 24. He told me if I didn't pre-order today that is may be possible that I wouldn't receive it by the 4th. They were suppose to be sending in the orders to corporate today. He also went on to say that they would probably be getting them a few days early (don't know if I believe that one) but it would be great.

Upvote 0
I'd love it if I got offered a 7am pickup time! Only thing I'd like better is a pick-up the night before. 7am would be perfect timing. I could be at BB by 7am, get in and out by 730am/745am and be at work by 815am (through traffic).

I guess I'll just have to wait until BB I pre-ordered from gets their entire inventory in and gives me a call to set up an appointment.

Upvote 0
Sorry drex...wow..I'm going into Sprint to set up an account before I hit BB the next day

Heard a tidbit from a co workers wife who works for Sprint..and it's that Sprint wants this phone to sell out..for maximum PR effect...I dont know what that could mean regarding existing inventory numbers..or preorders. Sprint wants to make a splash, it seems.

Upvote 0
Best Buy called and said that they're going to be opening at 7:00 am to allow Evo pre-order customers to pick up their phones on the morning of the 4th and they wanted to know if I would like to come in that morning instead of waiting until 6:00 pm. Hell yes I want my phone early! but alas Sprint has decided to release the phone on the one day that my attendance at work is MANDATORY due to a company luncheon that everyone has to attend. The good news is that I'll probably be off work early that day, but all the morning's festivities are required.

So, I guess I'll just have to be content to sit here at my desk and read all about how badass the phone is from everyone that's going to be able to get theirs before work that morning.

That seems odd, since the Droid and Inc both have bigger customer bases and higher launch expectations, but neither had a special opening- early, just for the phone. Sounds like somebody that works with you is playing you ;)

Upvote 0
Sorry drex...wow..I'm going into Sprint to set up an account before I hit BB the next day

Heard a tidbit from a co workers wife who works for Sprint..and it's that Sprint wants this phone to sell out..for maximum PR effect...I dont know what that could mean regarding existing inventory numbers..or preorders. Sprint wants to make a splash, it seems.

Why are you apologizing? I was given a "guarantee" from Best Buy. Verbal commitment is binding...LOL. So, if they try to tell me they only got a handful and I don't get mine on the day of release, you better believe I'm going to be negotiating for a better deal once they DO have more in stock.

Upvote 0
Torrance BB told me today that tomorrow is the last preorder day....at least for Torrance...then they will start contacting preorderees. They have 30 pre orders so far....the information was they would get 50 units at Torrance.

7am June 4th Torrance BB cranks up....the guy told me that all BB's are acutely aware of this phones prospective customers zeal..and that BB isnt going to drop the ball on them.

Upvote 0
Torrance BB told me today that tomorrow is the last preorder day....at least for Torrance...then they will start contacting preorderees. They have 30 pre orders so far....the information was they would get 50 at Torrance.

7am June 4th Torrance BB cranks up....the guy told me that all BB's are acutely aware of this phones prospective customers zeal..and that BB isnt going to drop the ball on them.

Oh, were you apologizing just cuz I'm hoping I'm offered an opportunity to go in at 7am, but then have to get through Hollywood traffic, just to get to my office (also in hollywood) in 30 minutes?...LOL. Yeah, that part of it sucks. But getting my EVO at 7am would definitely make me feel better about it. I'm up early during business days anyway, so shouldn't be a problem for me.

Hmmm...if Torrance BB is going to start contacting people to set appointments tomorrow, I hope the same goes for the Hollywood store! That'd be perfect!

Upvote 0
Drex

Actually, I WAS feeling for you at the prospect of a Friday morning guantlet run through the mob. Hope you get the early call...I'm working Friday night and taking the Evo with me..wonder how it'll work at 25,000 ft. 328kts.+...Let ya know..

Yup, that's what I thought...The prospect of Friday morning traffic, going through Hollywood...well, I could do without it for sure, but at least I know the back streets to take in order to avoid a lot of the rush-hour crap.

You know, I never thought about it. I'm in an elevated building too. I'm just hoping/wishing that WiMax is live in L.A. in a couple weeks (yeah, wishful thinking, but stranger things have happened).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones