• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So Close!

coldfuzion

Dec 18, 2010
This weekend I decided to finally try a cyanogenmod ROM (one of the nightlies) and got my first real taste of Gingerbread. It was delicious.

My problem, however, is that it didn't seem as stable as i've been hearing. I know everyones experience is probably a bit different with these early builds, but it just felt so close to being good enough to use daily... yet so far...
I flashed the ROM twice (the second time was becuase I didn't realize google apps have to be flashed separately so i flashed it again thinking something didn't work right the firs ttime) and for the most part, it worked well, although It seemed to be lacking a voicemail app (should have that been in there?) and i was getting somewhat frequent force closes on apps that were apparently running in the background or soemthing...

The biggest thing I guess is the lack of 4g and front camera support (front camera i can live without, 4g is somewhat abundant here in the twin cities though so I use it often )

but i guess what i'm wondering here, is are these issues i'm describing pretty common, or might it be worth trying to flash the ROM again to see if i have better luck (not considering the limitations of no 4g/front cam) ?

This just makes me want gingerbread official so bad!!!!! that screen-off animation alone is just... ohmygod:D

The 4g isn't present in any cyanogen mods as of yet they do have a kernel where it is wiimax in it tho I haven't tried just yet since they should be integrating 4g in cm 7 soon but the voicemail problem just download Google voice its free and does a great job at voicemail also Idk front cam for me seems fine I think since I dnt use it dat much except for things like videochat

Upvote 0
The 4g isn't present in any cyanogen mods as of yet they do have a kernel where it is wiimax in it tho I haven't tried just yet since they should be integrating 4g in cm 7 soon but the voicemail problem just download Google voice its free and does a great job at voicemail also Idk front cam for me seems fine I think since I dnt use it dat much except for things like videochat

oh, I never actually tried the front camera, that might have been something that's been fixed. I guess was speaking from a video review I saw on youtube (which may have been a few weeks ago for all I know)

one other question...

when they say "nightlies" does that mean that every night there's actually a new ROM available, or is that some sort of programmer speak for a weekly update or something?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones