• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So does the Razr live up to the Hype?

ok sean since you had a Bionic...

data connectivity vs. the Bionic? My Razr has been perfect so far with connectivity vs. my Bionic, but I'm reading threads of people who are having similar problems with the Bionic...

Connectivity has been better with the Razr! When I say better , I mean the phone goes to 3G instead of losing the data connection. For example ....

Say I run downstairs to the basement of my health club...

With the Bionic I'd loose data right away, and when I'd come up it would take a while for the phone to get a data connection again.

With the Razr I come back up and right away it goes to 3G for about a minute, then switches to 4G right away.

Noticed this tonight!

I'll be running around plenty today (Sunday) so I'll really be able to keep an eye on data, and battery usage as well.

Upvote 0
ok sean since you had a Bionic...

data connectivity vs. the Bionic? My Razr has been perfect so far with connectivity vs. my Bionic, but I'm reading threads of people who are having similar problems with the Bionic...

Honestly, the data hand off issues are not the fault of the devices but Verizon. They are using an intermediate network to handle the handoff and thats whats causing the problem. This is why ALL current Verizon LTE devices have the same issue. As far as I can tell the Razr handles the handoff better than other LTE devices including my Xoom. The issue will be better or worse depending on the area you live and how the networks are in your area.

Upvote 0
Connectivity has been better with the Razr! When I say better , I mean the phone goes to 3G instead of losing the data connection. For example ....

Say I run downstairs to the basement of my health club...

With the Bionic I'd loose data right away, and when I'd come up it would take a while for the phone to get a data connection again.

With the Razr I come back up and right away it goes to 3G for about a minute, then switches to 4G right away.

Noticed this tonight!

I'll be running around plenty today (Sunday) so I'll really be able to keep an eye on data, and battery usage as well.

When I first got the phone I ran 2 tests on hand off. Going into an underground parking garage killing 4G and then coming back out Both were flawless. Since friday I've not had one hand off issue.

So far so good. I will continue to monitor this as well.

Upvote 0
When I first got the phone I ran 2 tests on hand off. Going into an underground parking garage killing 4G and then coming back out Both were flawless. Since friday I've not had one hand off issue.

So far so good. I will continue to monitor this as well.

Yes brother ....in regards to saying holding the 4G signal or simply just handling the hand off from 3G to 4G, and vice versa...The Razr is pretty much better in my opinion then say the Bionic, and even the Charge and Thunderbolt.

Upvote 0
Yes brother ....in regards to saying holding the 4G signal or simply just handling the hand off from 3G to 4G, and vice versa...The Razr is pretty much better in my opinion then say the Bionic, and even the Charge and Thunderbolt.

I have zero issue holding 4G. I'm in a great coverage area though. I mean yes its went to 3G a few times but its never for an extended period of time. Put it this way I've never lost 4G for more than a minute.

Upvote 0
Honestly, the data hand off issues are not the fault of the devices but Verizon. They are using an intermediate network to handle the handoff and thats whats causing the problem. This is why ALL current Verizon LTE devices have the same issue. As far as I can tell the Razr handles the handoff better than other LTE devices including my Xoom. The issue will be better or worse depending on the area you live and how the networks are in your area.

unfortunately that seems to be the case... eHRPD ftw... :(

Nice thing about the Bolt was being able to switch back to true evdo...

Upvote 0
Did not get alot of hype in my area...lots of phones released at the same time so the raider,sg2 and razr where all lumped in together at most retailers...although razr is only on rogers...not alot of tv on it as all U.S. programs have their ad spots overwritten with Canadian Tire x-mas and Tim Hortons coffee ads. gave me a chance to go at this unbiased...took 5 minutes of handling these 3 phones and the decision was obvious...after a couple days now-decision is still obvious (for me)...would have had to do my belt up another notch to keep my pants from falling down with the raider...thing is a tank...and the samsung felt like a fragile toy compared to the razr.

VERY HAPPY!

Upvote 0
Really digging the phone, but I think they just moved the data drop problem. 4G the data works perfectly. No drops and a great signal. But if you are on 3g it will drop. Dang it! I just rode in a car for about 200 miles it constantly dropped data on/off while in 3g. While in 4G it was smooth sailing. Anyone else having the dropped data issue. If you are capable try it and see if I am right.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones