1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

So Gingerbread...?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by npro1464, Feb 9, 2011.

1. npro1464

npro1464 Member

I was wondering why no phones had the Android Gingerbread update yet. I read this article, I know it's a month old, but it says that 0.4% of Android owners have Gingerbread:

0.4% of Android owners have Gingerbread 2.3 | TG Daily

To boot, new phones being released like the Moto Atrix and HTC Thunderbolt are being released with Froyo. What gives? Why are manufacturers not releasing phones with the latest updates? Why are we not getting the update unless we own a Nexus S?

I know many phones have been ruled out of the update, like my original Droid, but it seems like the manufacturers could care less about what system updates Google releases and shelters their phones from them. I guess the chances of ever seeing Ice Cream Sandwich is out of the question..

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

This is only a guess, but I would say that Gingerbread was tweaked specifically for the Nexus S to get it out the door and that it really wasn't (isn't) ready for prime time. Other than the improved cut & paste and a few optimizations, I don't see the demand other than bragging rights to have the latest.

I'm perfectly happy with 2.2.2, although I'd like to see an official FroYo release for U.S. Galaxy S phones.

3. Roxors

Roxors Android Enthusiast

+1 to FroYo, a couple of weeks ago i just got ADW and i love it personally and made me feel like i got an update already :) I'm just happy that there is a possiblity of another update before they say no more.

but we shall see

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42

I think this article sheds some light on that.

Apparently, as soon as April, android 2.4 will become the fully fledged Gingerbread, which would explain why most manufacturers wouldn't bother with 2.3.

dan330, lunatic59 and andygu3 like this.
  5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

hhhmmm... that means evo will not get any updates .. till after april. :(

6. alextop30

alextop30 Android Expert

I would not think phone developers and service providers are indifferent to updates it is just that much of the software needs to be weekend to accommodate gingerbread. Don't forget that android is not just vanilla on most phones. It has since HTC, Samsung and Motorola have also layers of software that needs to be reprogrammed. I would rather wait than get some super crappy buggy gingerbread which would make me want to throw my phone from the top of the highest building in Chicago.

7. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Android Expert

I won't be surprised if none of the phones that came preinstalled with Eclair at the beginning get updates for gingerbread.

8. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert

Plainly speaking, Gingerbread still has some quirks. The real stable update is still Froyo. If the release is really stable then it will be sent out to upgrade all the other phones. At the moment you're not missing much but some hair raising bugs.

And there is the question of converting the YAFFS on Android 2.2 to ext4 file system on Android 2.3. Incurring the file system upgrade means this not going to be an easy change and would require a wipe out and reformatting of the phone file system. Unless for some reason you can make Android 2.3 run on YAFFS, but some speed sacrifice will happen.

9. Spykez

Spykez Member

meh, I'm running gingerbread right now and it's nothing much different than some apps not working on gingerbread and some texting stuff, wifi calling etc.

What's going to be really annoying is application compatibility. Back breaker football for instance doesn't work on gingerbread and I already emailed the dev's about it. Now do they bother fixing it for 2.3 for it to break in 2.4 again or do they wait for 2.4 period.

Wonder how many other apps will have this issue.