• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So glad verizon isnt doing this with the droid

That's not absolutely the case....

If you upgrade your phone they can require you to change your plan. Specifically they can make certain phone require a specific plan at a minimum... they simply would make the specific plan be the non unlimited.'

However they can't make you change your plan while you're under contract if you keep the same phone and want to keep the same plan ... otherwise you'd be able to get out of your contract free.

This.
It's gonna be epic fail when I decide to get a new phone :/

Upvote 0
So if this 1gb and 2 is normal can anyone explain that I use at least 10gb!! A month!!! I am not rooted and have NEVER tethered AND have turned emaail update to never to conserve! I also use only wifi at home. This plan will screw me. Any help on what the heck uses so much?
If your wondering how you used so much data look at your acct. online then look at the detailed data usage. Some people reported that they got hammered by the 2.1 update...

Upvote 0
So if this 1gb and 2 is normal can anyone explain that I use at least 10gb!! A month!!! I am not rooted and have NEVER tethered AND have turned emaail update to never to conserve! I also use only wifi at home. This plan will screw me. Any help on what the heck uses so much?

Damn dude. You sure you're reading your bill correctly?

Upvote 0
You can find out your data usage by dialing #3282 (#DATA). Verizon will send you a text with the info.

Once upon a time I had a standard phone with some data (the phone had a non HTML browser). When I got an LG Env Touch I had to change my plan. Meanwhile my roommate went from a normal phone (albeit with some data as well) to a Blackberry, and had to change his plan to something else.

With the Env Touch I had 450 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited data. Now with the Droid I have 450 minutes, unlimited SMS/MMS and unlimited data. I had to change my plan when I got the Droid. The only difference is that the minutes, text, and data was all one package before and now they're separate. That and it costs more now.

I'd guess that if you went from say a Droid to an Incredible you could keep your current plan, but if you went to a phone with a fundamental difference (like 4G) you would have to change at minimum your data plan. I've had to change mine too many times to think otherwise.

Upvote 0
I'm only hitting 177mb, but I suppose I've only had my Droid for two weeks. Still, I can't imagine that's going to skyrocket into the gigs, even if I keep up the same level of usage each day (which seems like a lot to me since I just got the phone and can't put it down).

Considering this, a 2GB cap seems alright to me, but I'd rather have Unlimited. The best part about it is not having to worry if I'm going over any limits, so a 2GB cap would just make me paranoid, even if I never come anywhere near that much data usage.

Say this plan goes into effect (I'm on Verzion). Would I get charged astronomical fees for going over my 2GB cap, or would it simply cut my internet capabilities for the rest of the month? I'd prefer the latter, but I'm sure it won't work that way. D:

Upvote 0
all i hear is that verizon is the only carrier that is going to follow in ATT's footsteps with eliminating the unlimited data :( makes me sad since sprint and t-mobile say they are staying away from this. if this happens then how will it effect tethering -- does anyone know what an 'average' person uses in data from web browsing when tethering? (just curious)

Upvote 0
all i hear is that verizon is the only carrier that is going to follow in ATT's footsteps with eliminating the unlimited data :( makes me sad since sprint and t-mobile say they are staying away from this. if this happens then how will it effect tethering -- does anyone know what an 'average' person uses in data from web browsing when tethering? (just curious)
meh, basically the only two carriers w good smartphones and now this bs :/ eventually, people will opt for other carriers that provide unlimited data, and they will be forced to remove the limit or lose all of their customers. just hope some of the other carriers get some legitimate smartphones if i have to end up switching when my vz contract ends.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
i use my web browser on my droid a lot, and i download a lot of apps but im only at 200 megs and my cycle is up on the 18th. so i think im safe. i just wanted to make sure i could tether and if the average person will be safe on 2gigs then i guess im fine with that. but getting rid of unlimited data seems such a shame :( especially when only 2 carriers are planning on doing so and not the others.

Upvote 0
This is scary. If verizon is smart, they could keep their unlimited plans and use this as a tatic to gain AT&T customers. This is scary for me--If this was the case I may switch to sprint if they continued to offer unlimited. 9.8GB last month and 3.7 so far this month (billing cycle on the 22nd). Rooted--have wifi tether but dont use it. I do stream security cameras from where I work to my phone, internet radio, update roms (download directly via 3G), youtube, pandora, and just general web browsing, but thats about it...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones