1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root So here is where i am ...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zackfknhillis, Aug 29, 2010.

1. zackfknhillis

zackfknhillis Member

Aug 29, 2010
    I have an HTC evo running froyo 2.2

i updated sprints latest ota which has drained my battery life and and caused some problems with stock applications such as the internet browser!!

i have decided that the stock android software has too many "restrictions".

my goal is to build a very smooth running evo from the ground up, uninstalling all the useless crap such as sprint tv and amazon mp3 and the like.

more importantly after i root, i would like to be able to limit what applications open themselves, i dont need qik and fring or whitepages running in the background.

so now that i am ready to take the plunge, i have a better than average understanding of computers and am failure with a command line.

my question is should i wipe my phone to factory default settings before i start the root process? and if i do, where do i find that option in the phone?

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    You really want to begin with decent backups. That info, and how to factory reset is here - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

You won't need to do a factory reset before rooting.

You would find that many of your issues running stock are addressed in that link I've just given - and you WILL want to bookmark it.

Backup / clear data / restore is the common procedure you'll follow when playing with custom kernels or roms, so you might as well get used to the idea. ;)

And - welcome to the forum!

3. zackfknhillis

zackfknhillis Member

Aug 29, 2010
    alrighty, cleared data time to root wish me luck

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
Tags: