1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support So how does android email work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by swamprat96, Aug 26, 2010.

1. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Mine works fine but I'm curious. Coming from Blackberry I'm scratching my head. BB works by using a BB server as a proxy

I have a pop3 account set up. Now I understand how it sends when I am at home as the wifi is feeding my isp's broadband which is where my Pop3 account resides. But when I leave wifi it still sends

If I do the same thing with a laptop and go to another wifi spot provided by a different ISP my email will recieve but not send- unless I change the outgoing server to that wifi provider's.

I would have presumed that over 3G that I'd have the same issue - as the phone companies outgoing sever is handling my email? Or am I missing something

Advertisement

2. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    You don't have to keep on changing your outgoing server if that server has a public address/IP. Most (if not all) mail servers have public SMTP server IPs. What mail service are you using ? Is it an internet based service like Gmail, Yahoo, hotmail or a private ISP account ?

3. swamprat96

swamprat96 Active Member

Aug 11, 2010
    its a private ISP. I've had the problem in the past on the laptop when I travel and I get "relaying not allowed" as I'm not connected to my isp and sending email through another isp gets bounced

4. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Try calling your ISP and asking them for the correct set up.

5. PhoenixFx

PhoenixFx Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Yes, try to find out if they have a public IP or an address to their outgoing mail server. They should..