• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So how good are your eyes?

Hadron

Spacecorp test pilot
Aug 9, 2010
Dimension Jumping
So it's official: Sony have announced a 5.5" 4K phone. 806 dpi anyone?

Apart from "marketing by big numbets", if someone can see the point can they explain it to me? Does even cardboard VR need this?

(There are also a regular Z5 and a Compact for those with more modest tastes - I'll probably take a look at the last of those when it hits the shops).

Reactions: electricpete
What's the pixel count again, 801 ppi? Driven by the same SD810 SOC as the 423 ppi Z3+/Z4? Yup. seems legit. :rolleyes:

I loved the rationale expressed by Sony's Takao Yagi:

"There are 76 display resolution variations but only 9 content resolution ones, none of which include 2K, so if you're going to go higher than 1080p, 4K is the answer."

As you say, why go higher? Is there any point in such a high resolution on such a small display, other than bragging rights?

The Z5 is arguably worse, in that it's essentially nothing more than a Z3+ with the addition of a fingerprint scanner (!) and the 23MP Hybrid AF sensor that's been available for months in other Sony cameras. IOW they've (yet again) screwed over customers by releasing an incremental update to an update within three months. No wonder Sony's mobile division is losing money. :(

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Sony just recently announced their new Xperia Z5 lineup and the flagship Z5 premium has a 5.5inch screen with a resulotiom of 3840 x 2160. That's a whopping 806ppi! It's going to be powered by the Snapdragon 810 with a very nice 3430 battery capacity. Here's a link to it's official spec sheet:http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z5_premium-7536.php . I'm genuinely surprised that Sony would be pushing 4k screened mobile devices so soon. So what are your thoughts? Too much too soon? Overkill? Or the natural progression of mobile technology?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones