1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General So how is the Epic Touch

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by you2, Sep 25, 2011.

?

Samsung Epic Touch is

Poll closed Oct 23, 2011.
  1. Best Phone Ever.

83.0%
  2. Best Phone Ever but the poor reception is driving me batty.

5.7%
  3. Wish I had kept my old phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wish I had waited for the Nexus Prime.

1.9%
  5. Its ok - not the best but good enough.

3.8%
  6. Too glitchy for me I'm returning it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. It is a great phone but sprint service is drivng me batty.

5.7%
  1. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Now that the phone been out for a week+ I figured it was time for a poll for folks to express their view of the phone:

Advertisement

2. Kori_Tamashii

Kori_Tamashii Android Enthusiast
    None

May 4, 2010
    Being insane is a full time job.
    La Vista, NE
    I'm loving it. I wish the battery lasted a bit longer, but since when I tried to use JuiceDefender, it jacked everything up, I can just live with it until the support for JD gets more personalized to this particular device.

I'm still getting used to the size, but it's a little easier every day. So much win to be had.

3. BOSSY_TX_CHICK

None

Jun 2, 2011
    Hey y'all!

I came from an HTC EVO (loved that phone but a dim memory now : ) on Sprint (horrid data coverage on that, but nowI am wondering if the rooting I did somehow jacked it with wrong kernal, cause I was reading about some of the issues root was having on ET4G with them not having the right kernal or something) Anyhow, before that had the Samsung Vibrant for a year. (hangs head low) My name is BTC, and I am a recovering flashaholic.

There is no better phone out there to help you "kick an addiction", phone is so awesome, in my opinion (sinceI really didn't know what I was doing everytime I flashed a ROM id say a "hail Mary") I honestly doubt I will even try to root it. The thought of screwing anything up on this amazingly capable powerhouse ofa device makes me cringe... Oh my point (wayyyyy back at beginning) was data coverage is approx 3 timesr faster, which I know can't be all the phone, and why I think my custom kernal was to caine. In. speedtests, I used to repeatedly have 800+ ping results and around 0.15 to 0.25 mps downloads (if I could even completea test without data failure msg) now I consistently geta ping in under 200 ping & 1.25 to 1.75 mbps....i can easily live with that...and to think I almost went to At&t...(shudder) This phone almost feels, "sinful", its that good, ur like, "alright, wheres the catch"?!

BTC (sorry for all the words missinga space, Swype keeps erasing the entire word whenI am trying to adda space, never acted like this, not sure whats up.....

p.s. just read little more....seems itsa swype issue. maybe an update will help..only downfall to this entire phone thatI can see...shame, I used to live swype but its now virtually unusable

4. campbell53

campbell53 Lurker
    None

May 8, 2010
    I was a first day Evo guy. Liked the phone but wifi and batteery life were terrible. I was forced to put in a larger battery making the phone even thicker and heavier. Last week i went to the Sprint store fully expecting to walk out with a Photon. But when i handled the Epic Touch i truly felt like i was handling a revolutionary phone. The Photon quickly faded to the background. A few things I dont like (placement of the power button is just stupid) but overall the phone is phenominal. Makes the Evo look severely dated and i think will embarress the iphone 5.

5. BenChase7

BenChase7 Android Expert
    None

Jun 16, 2010
    Male
    RN
    Phoenix
    I couldn't be happier with the Epic Touch. I would Highly recommend this phone.

6. mcbtrain929

mcbtrain929 Android Expert
    None

Nov 5, 2009
    ChiTown
    with the phone being so huge, i think its a huge plus for the power button to be on the side as supposed to it being all the way on the top. that's just me tho...

7. ren857

ren857 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 22, 2010
    Female
    I agree. I actually like the placement of the power button.

8. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    I still love it.

9. M5Rahul

M5Rahul Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    DFW TX
    I like everything else, but can't deal with the dim blue tint on white/grey backgrounds!! It drives me crazy looking at the screen ( even at full brightness and auto-brightness disabled ) with white background...

Its the ONE thing that keeps me from getting this phone!

10. BOSSY_TX_CHICK

None

Jun 2, 2011
    Hey M5!

I can't say you're like me, but i ALSO went to the store the day it was released and played with it. i was like, "eh...I'll wait to see AT&T's version"... Up till that point i had read every written review and seen every video, and for whatever reason, AT THE STORE it just didn't do it for me.... Back home again i watched a new video (http://www.youtube.com/user/booredatwork#p/u/18/GlWToTvKuLk) and for some reason it convinced me of what all others AND seeing it in person had failed to do... I went back next day, got TWO of them, and i have to say, (5 days later) there isn't ONE thing about this phone that fails to impress me on a minute to minute basis of using it...

So maybe at first blush it might not "wow" you, but "using it"... OMG!

I think that "blueish tint might EASILY be erased from the forefront of your thinking" when you start to see what this powerhouse can do...

Just the video alone...wowza!

Hope this helps : )

BTC

11. Sammael

Sammael Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    Type of person saying they wish they waited for the nexus prime are the types that will never be happy with anything in life. Sad.

BOSSY_TX_CHICK likes this.
  12. BOSSY_TX_CHICK

None

Jun 2, 2011
    yes u nailed it.... if your expectations are NOT met with this device, you need "new expectations, NOT a new phone" lol

BTC

13. treven21

treven21 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Coming from an EVO 3D which was absolutely amazing the EPIC 4G Touch trumps it in every category. Very happy that I made the switch.

14. LxMxFxD

LxMxFxD Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 28, 2010
    This is pretty short sighted. The biggest downfall of E4GT is its geriatric sized icons because of its 4.5" 800x480 resolution. The nexus prime hype all points to a 720p (1280x720) display which is a complete and total game changer. Nexus prime may also solve 4g battery issues, etc.

For sprint contractual reasons I ordered the E4GT last night from amazon wireless, so it'll be in my hands by wednesday. After playing with the E4GT in store and comparing it to my rooted evo, it was clearly superior but it did not wow me. I'm 100% certain that i'll love my new phone but im also certain that IF/when the nexus prime releases with 720p the grass will most certainly be greener. AT this point I had NO choice however. Damn sprint and their deletion of premiere gold!

15. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Great to hear.

I am very impressed with this phone, having played with it at the Sprint store. I wish I could swap my Evo 3D with this phone...but...the only thing that holds me back is the lower resolution compared to the Evo 3D.

But this is truly an awesome EPIC phone!! :)

16. treven21

None

Mar 9, 2011

Hey man heres the trade off. Sure the "resolution" may not be the same in terms of size of the screen and how it looks. My thing is the display and how the screen looks totally makes the switch worth it. I mean the EVO3D isn't far behind the S2 but you can have the best phone on the market right now. Or you can have Sprints 3rd best phone. Also I will give the nod to EVO3D as far as sense vs touchwiz but there is ways around it.

The thing I hated them most about the EVO3D was not being able to see the screen in the sunlight when I was outdoors. Pissed me off in fact. That is not an issue with the S2. Also the camera on the S2 is much better and its not even close. Sure it doesn't do 3D but for me I didn't care about it all that much anyway.

Once I get the S2 rooted I'm going to be golden. BTW you can't go wrong with either phone. It comes down to preference. The size, weight, and screen display is what made me love the S2 more. Though I sacrifice the sense and battery. Battery is fine on the S2 its just not what the EVO3D is.

Hope that helps.

AndroidSPCS likes this.
  17. Jore

Jore Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    California
    How long were getting on the evo3d battery? I came from an evo and battery life was horrible. Phone was great but had to have it plugged in. occasional emails, web, and checking fantasy scores were okay..but if you watcha movie our stream online radio....you got maybe couple hours.

Love the S2, but acquiring reception for wifi and for the data network could be alot better.

18. treven21

None

Mar 9, 2011
    It was the EVO3D not the EVO4G. The battery was crazy.

Check out my screen shots at the bottom. This is light\moderate usage.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g-touch/415118-battery-input-needed-please.html