• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, how is the OTA treating you?

I have had my TB for about a week and a half now. When in put on the update last week it ran just fine for 2 days. Then the reboots started. It happened twice in a span of about 12 hours. The next day it happened about 3 times so I tweeted @VZWSupport for help. They suggested a factory reset....

VZWSupport VZW Support
@
@ryanschmaltz 4/4 Touch Menu >Touch Settings>Touch SD & phone storage> Touch Factory data reset> Tap Reset phone> Tap Erase everything. *CM
14 May

VZWSupport VZW Support
@
@ryanschmaltz 3/4 Make sure to back up important data you have on the phone before you reset your device. Follow the steps in my next tweet.
14 May

VZWSupport VZW Support
@
@ryanschmaltz 2/4 Resetting the phone deletes all data, including downloaded applications and resets the phone back to its initial state.
14 May

VZWSupport VZW Support
@
@ryanschmaltz 1/4 I would suggest completing a factory reset. There maybe applications that are corrupting the phone after the update.

Did everything they suggested and now the reboots are WORSE! I had 7 yesterday that I for sure know about. I tweeted VZWSupport again yesterday and this is what they responded.....

VZWSupport VZW Support
@
@ryanschmaltz At this time ,we are working on a solution to resolve the re-boot issue. Thank you for your patience. *CM

This is getting ridiculous. Since my phone isn't very old I would think it's from the "newer" batch. I saw some posts about it maybe being a problem if you had one of the first TB's.

Anyone have any other suggestions short of rooting and throwing on a ROM? I'm wondering if I should even do another factory reset?

What I have started doing is tweeting @VZWSupport and @HTC when I get the reboots. That should make HTC aware???

Upvote 0
6.5 hours later and still no reboots. I swear, some magic worked its way into the phone after I turned it off for an hour.

Going on 20 hours since I manually restarted my phone and not a single reboot. Very strange. Yesterday morning, the phone was rebooting nearly every 15 mins until I manually turned it off...

The reboots must be caused by something in the cache (system related, I don't buy this whole 3rd party app excuse causing the reboots) and it doesn't clear properly on a quick reboot... But when I powered down the phone and let the power drain out for an hour, the caches must have cleared.... any validity to this statement? Can someone with more knowledge back that up.

Upvote 0
Lot of validity. Known cure for any number of glitches with any smartphone is to pull the battery for 60 seconds. Don't recall that for reboots per se, but the idea is that some RAM can stuck in a single state.

The only difference is I didn't pull the battery. Just turned it off for an hour and then turned it back on... probably the same effect?

Upvote 0
Going out on a limb... Could it be possible that CityID is causing or has something to do with the reboot problems? When I first got the phone, I did the uninstall that you can do through the app itself. This doesn't actually remove it from the phone. The OTA could possibly have caused an issue with this app - even though it still shows as uninstalled...

Anyone else who is having reboot issues - did you also "uninstall" CityID prior to the OTA?

Upvote 0
Well I thought I would try to troubleshoot the random reboot problem. So I thought about disabling the power saver option under the power in the settings.

Well after about 10 hrs up my phone just rebooted. So that thought is out the window lol. Better to try than to not try at all huh?

Seems like my phone just reboots about every 10 to 12 hrs if its not plugged in charging. Guess I can consider myself lucky. Back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0
Everyone complaining, have you tried a factory reset?

Like I and many ohters have said, wiping the phone and starting fresh has fixed all issues including reboots.

I know a small group of people claim that a factory reset has not fixed their issues, but I suspect that for a majority of people, a factory reset will fix your issues.

You have nothing to lose except a bit of time setting everything up again. If you are going to demand a replacement phone from VzW, fine but you will still have to re-set up the new phone anyways, so why not try on yours first?

Upvote 0

Like I and many ohters have said, wiping the phone and starting fresh has fixed all issues including reboots.

I know a small group of people claim that a factory reset has not fixed their issues, but I suspect that for a majority of people, a factory reset will fix your issues.

You have nothing to lose except a bit of time setting everything up again. If you are going to demand a replacement phone from VzW, fine but you will still have to re-set up the new phone anyways, so why not try on yours first?
I am sure more people tried the factory reset than you think has.

Upvote 0

I honestly don't think a factory reset is required to fix the reboot issue. It's now been a day without a reboot for me and I'm feeling confident the issue is under control... for now. If it's caused by something wrong with the OTA... it WILL come back, no matter what you do - factory reset or not. The bug in the software is still there, you just need to invoke it... and who knows how that happens.

My advice to anyone having random reboots: Turn your phone off - I mean power it down yourself - and forget about it for at least an hour. Then turn it back on and see what happens. No battery pull either... I did that and the reboots stopped.

Upvote 0
My advice to anyone having random reboots: Turn your phone off - I mean power it down yourself - and forget about it for at least an hour.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may give that a whirl.

I'm have a theory.....some people have mentioned something about the radio and the towers. I am starting to believe this may be true....?

My phone worked good for a day or two, then the reboots started. I was at work all morning with no reboots. I then went home for lunch which is about 3 miles away and possibly a different tower, and I got a reboot after being home for 10 minutes.

Thoughts?

And yes, I have factory reset once. It actually seems like that made it happen more often!

Upvote 0
I honestly don't think a factory reset is required to fix the reboot issue. It's now been a day without a reboot for me and I'm feeling confident the issue is under control... for now. If it's caused by something wrong with the OTA... it WILL come back, no matter what you do - factory reset or not. The bug in the software is still there, you just need to invoke it... and who knows how that happens.

My advice to anyone having random reboots: Turn your phone off - I mean power it down yourself - and forget about it for at least an hour. Then turn it back on and see what happens. No battery pull either... I did that and the reboots stopped.

If you did both the reset and then the circuit discharge, in your case, it may have taken both to fix this one.

If it's in the update itself they're going to need to patch this pronto.

If it's in some subtle change of hardware for earlier phone revisions, then a replacement is needed.

If it's due something being borked in the cache/data areas, a reset will clear it.

If it's stuck memory or another stuck circuit, then a battery pull (or an hour off, per your experience) will fix it.

People experiencing it without additional user apps have ruled out the app problem.

That's how this is looking reading through everyone's responses.

There are root roms that require two resets to work right - but in those cases, the rom builders know that, explain that and instruct that process for their installs. I've never remotely heard of such a thing required for an OTA.

They really screwed the pooch on this one! :(

Reactions: mdeblaz
Upvote 0
If you did both the reset and then the circuit discharge, in your case, it may have taken both to fix this one.

If it's in the update itself they're going to need to patch this pronto.

If it's in some subtle change of hardware for earlier phone revisions, then a replacement is needed.

If it's due something being borked in the cache/data areas, a reset will clear it.

If it's stuck memory or another stuck circuit, then a battery pull (or an hour off, per your experience) will fix it.

People experiencing it without additional user apps have ruled out the app problem.

That's how this is looking reading through everyone's responses.

There are root roms that require two resets to work right - but in those cases, the rom builders know that, explain that and instruct that process for their installs. I've never remotely heard of such a thing required for an OTA.

They really screwed the pooch on this one! :(

Not everyone can be perfect like you :p

Upvote 0

Im not demanding a new phone, yet.. but im sure as hell not doing a factory reset right now unless VZW wants to set everything up to how i had it before.. its the least they could do at this point if they are gonna dick around with getting this fixed.. i just dont have time to redo everything with being a full time college student and working two jobs.. none of this is my fault so why should i have to fix the issue?

Upvote 0
i just dont have time to redo everything with being a full time college student and working two jobs..

How long do you expect a factory reset and app installs to take :thinking: It's pretty much all automated.

As I posted earlier when I did my factory reset, I was done re-setting up my apps and preferences in way under an hour.

It's not that serious :p

Upvote 0
Im not demanding a new phone, yet.. but im sure as hell not doing a factory reset right now unless VZW wants to set everything up to how i had it before.. its the least they could do at this point if they are gonna dick around with getting this fixed.. i just dont have time to redo everything with being a full time college student and working two jobs.. none of this is my fault so why should i have to fix the issue?

My friend, the best advice you'll ever get on a smartphone is to have a good backup/restore strategy.

Phones are not permanent things.

It's not if the day will come when you'll lose your stuff - it's when.

Do what's best in your mind for the whole approach to this lousy problem - but - back it up.

Otherwise, you're heading for a meeting with that famous Mr. Murphy so he can demonstrate his law to you. ;)

Upvote 0
Then I lose all my game progress, set up all my sense stuff, and re do my go launcher and settings for everything.. I shouldn't have to do ANY of it..

Ok so dont do anything. You're right, you dont have to.

Was just trying to help you.

Not sure if this is your first smart phone or not, but wiping it clean every once in a while is part of owning a smart phone. Like it's said above, not if but when.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones