• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So, how is the OTA treating you?

To highlight what I said before - during the reboots, the boot animation had no sound. When I physically shut the phone down and then turn it back on an hour later, the sound was back for the boot animation. I wonder what that has to do with?

I have noticed this on my phone as well. I don't have it on vibrate or silent, it just doesn't make the thunderbolt sound when it auto reboots but does if i manually reboot it.

I did a battery pull today. So far, no random reboots but it's only been a couple of hours. Strangely, i've noticed that it reboots when battery reaches 30% and 60% when it's draining and charging. i haven't kept real accurate data on this, so it might be complete confirmation bias, but happens often enough that i can guess how much battery will be there when it comes back on.

Reactions: HookEmHorns*UT*
Upvote 0
Here's the response I received from Tech Support today.

Verizon Wireless and HTC are aware of the issue rebooting issues with the HTC Thunderbolt and are working to provide a resolution as quickly as possible. Regrettably, I am unable to provide an approximate release date, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

I’m glad that I was able to bring resolution to your inquiry.

Resolution? WHAT A JOKE

Upvote 0
After the update (totally stock phone), my Bluetooth is no longer is reliable. It will sync with the car one time, and after that it never works again without a reboot. Interestingly, the bluetooth icon in the status bar then shows the connected icon (with the two little triangles), even when I've left the car.

I've done the battery pull, and a factory reset, but Bluetooth is still useless.

Also, the UI is horribly slow and choppy/laggy now too. Basically this update made my phone unusable.

Upvote 0
I received my replacement in the mail on Wed, but ended up having to send it back as the light for the buttons at the bottom didn't work. Received the replacement for my replacement yesterday, and all has been well after the update. Gps locks fast, battery seems a bit better, no reboot, pages load faster and I've noticed that my keyboard doesn't lag anymore either. So all in all its treating me well. I know some of you have said that a new phone wouldnt matter, but for me it really did. No amount of factory reset cured my problem. Tried tips and tricks enough to attract the police (ok maybe not that many lol) and nothing worked. While I cant say that a replacement will definitely work for you, your going to reset anyway so to me it was worth it. And I also am fine with a refurb as I have had the phone for 2 months, and dont see why they should be required to give me a brand new phone for my 2 month old one. Anyway, guess im just tryig to say that if they offer to send a new one, take it.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Really dont know but there is a version 1 and a version 2. About all I know :thinking:

Interesting. I wonder what the difference is and what version I have...

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss my OG Droid. That thing never failed me. I was happy with my TB for a while, but this is pissing me off now. Battery life is WAY worse after the update. Also, I don't know when the phone reboots, because the reboot sound is gone. No more thunder.

How do I know if it's been rebooting, without having to sit there and stare at it for hours?

Haven't tried the GPS post-update, never tried the video pre-update so I don't know if its better now, but the battery life SUCKS now. And it is not my imagination.

Don't know what to do. This is the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a smartphone.

Upvote 0
Ok...so I haven't received the ota and I'm guessing I won't since everyone is having issues with it. The data connection issues really blow. Did the ota fix that for you guys? I live in a area that teeters back and forth between 3 and 4G. Everytime it switches, my data connection freezes and and I have to refresh. It really sucks for streaming video. I was told the ota was supposed to address this. Also...does anyone know when or if the ota will start up again? Or am I just relegated to wait for gingerbread?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones