1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support So I am pretty sure I need to factory reset, but...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MarkLiebs, Jul 9, 2011.

1. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Sorry for the upcoming wall of text but here goes...

Ever since I got the 2.3 update I have been having a lot of issues. But let me start from the beginning.

I checked for the update and it started doing its thing. After awhile it seemed to be done so I began to mess around with the new stuff. What I got was a phone that froze completely after just a few seconds use. I could do nothing but pull the battery and restart. I tried to leave it alone for a while but basically I spent a good couple hours waiting, phone freezing, pulling battery.

I thought my phone was bricked. Then after 2 hours or so it seemed to be ok.

However, in the weeks after that I have been having more and more and more problems. Most of the time I cannot type because the keyboard shows up but no letters appear when I type. (I have read a few threads on this issue and I think it would help but this is not my only problem.) The phone is beyond sluggish. When I try and upload things to the web in any form, such as uploading pics to facebook, it does nothing. Or in the case of today, it did nothing and then a few hours later the pic in question appeared online. When I try and download apps or app updates from the market, they first take about an hour to even start, and sometimes it downloads multiple copies of the updates at once. For example the other night I was trying to update the Comcast Xfinity app and it was downloading up to 23 copies of the update at once. This continued through several restarts, both through the power button and pulling the battery, and even through 3 restarts after I uninstalled the app completely.

I am thinking something may be wrong with my memory card too as I am attempting to copy it to my PC in preparation to restore the phone but when I drag and drop the folders nothing is happening. I was able to copy some of the folders in smaller chunks but now not even that is working.

So as you see I am getting pretty frustrated. I see no other course other than a reset.

I have read up on some threads here as to what happens when you reset.

So here are my questions.
    I am copying my memory card (or trying to). Is it safe to reformat the card before I reset? Providing I get everything copied.

I know my apps will need to be redownloaded. And I have read that the free ones are not automatically saved on the market. So, how do I restore all my saved games and other data once I get everything again?

How do I backup my browser bookmarks?

I am sure I will think of more but I have already gone on long enough.

Any help is appreciated.

edit: The Evernote folder is the only one that refuses to be copied to my PC. I am thinking this is no big deal?
    edit 2: I forgot to add that when people text me I get many multiple copies of them. I had thought it was a google voice issue but I get this problem from gvoice texts as well as texts to my normal number.

Advertisement

2. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    1. Are you rooted? If so, you can use a program called Titanium Backup that can not only backup ALL your apps, but it also back up the data INSIDE of them (like what level you were lat on within a game). If you don't have root, things get more uncomfortable as you are correct about the Market not really bothering to keep track of your free apps. There apps that will list what you have currently on your phone (listables was the name of one...I think). The web version of hte Market keeps track of a LOT of what you have for freeware, and I've found it even lists apps that I've deleted, so that's an option you can use as well.

MarkLiebs likes this.
  3. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    really wouldn't sweat EverNote, as the data is saved on EverNote's end, so whatever you're seeing is downloaded and temporarily stored on the device.

MarkLiebs likes this.
  4. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Yeah I am not too worried about the free apps, except for unblock me (which has no paid version) that I am on level 500+.

And no I am not rooted.

At this point I think I just want to wipe and be done.

But at what point in the process can I wipe the SD card, and how do I backup my browser bookmarks? Besides with pen and paper.

5. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    I have no idea how to back up the bookmarks. As for the SD card, you can just reformat it from your X. That'll wipe everything off of it.

MarkLiebs likes this.
  6. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Before or after I wipe the phone?

7. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Doesn't matter, wiping the card is a completely separate process than wiping the phone. Do whichever you want first.

MarkLiebs likes this.
  8. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Thank you very much for all your help. I can see no way to backup the bookmarks. And my browser crashed 9 times out of 10 as soon as I open it.

So here I go...

9. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Ok one last question, how do I erase the card from the phone? The option to format SD card in storage settings is greyed out.

edit: got it!

10. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Ok so I took the plunge, reset the phone.

Now I am trying to get back into it but it is telling me that my username and password are wrong...they are not...

I changed my password on the google.com/accounts page, same result.

Out of the frying pan into the fire I guess.

edit: stupid 2 step verification!

11. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    MarkLiebs likes this.
  12. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Problem was I needed to get a temp password from the 2 step thing, solved!

13. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Sadly not much changed after the reset. I am thinking about just taking it in to a Verizon store and rolling the dice on getting a replacement. But I really don't want a refurbished one.

14. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    I'm rocking a refurb with no complaints, so I wouldn't worry about that

15. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    That is good to hear. Post-reset my phone seems barely different than before. In fact even though I deleted the whole memory card (twice) I still had a couple apps still on my phone that shouldn't have been. Then it was still downloading 25 copies of an app at the same time....sigh...

16. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    If you know that out will continue to misbehave, leave it be and show it to Big Red like it is

17. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Took it to the Verizon store today and had them do a factory reset with their magic machine. It seems to be all good now. However the girl that helped didn't seem to be exactly up on her information.

I told her that when I reset my phone myself not all the apps got erased. She told me that was because "they are tied to your gmail".

Now, I may not be an expert on all things Android. But it doesn't take a genius to know that apps don't just magically appear on your phone when you first turn it on and haven't downloaded anything. I tried to explain to her that things are tied to your google account but you still have to go get them, but it didn't seem to sink in.

Oh well, phone is better now and that is all that counts.

18. Metfanant

Metfanant Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010

Glad its working now....BUT fr future reference...she was actually right...your free apps should also automatically download themselves as well...though it doesn't always work for me...im probably 50/50 on times it works as its supposed to (they download automatically) and when it doesn't work...

19. RyanB

RyanB Guest
    None
    Yeah, the apps may have started their automatic downloading after you signed back in after booting up the device again.

20. MarkLiebs

MarkLiebs Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Automatic download I can see. But there was no downloading, I turned on my phone and they were there already. I had to open the market and then all my other stuff started to download.

Since the full reset though everything has been pretty good. I still get the apps downloading multiple times bug sometimes, but I think that is due to losing and reconnecting to WiFi that is throwing it off. I also get pretty bad 3G in a few rooms at home so it tends to bounce between poor 3G and poor WiFi a lot.