1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support So... I dropped my phone.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by linuxuser21629, Feb 13, 2014.

  1. linuxuser21629

    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    19
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2013

    Nov 11, 2013
    19
    4
    16
    Male
    wally world lacky
    Anyone have any luck putting new glass in these things?
     

    Advertisement

  2. Rukbat

    Rukbat Android Expert
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    843
    Posts:
    10,392
    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2012

    Jan 16, 2012
    10,392
    2,894
    843
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    I'd say it's about 20%. The other 80% end up paying to have the parts they broke fixed - and end up paying more than if they had just paid to have the glass replaced. It's a simple job - if you've done it 200 times. The first time you do it? Crack! Crunch. Oops. I always had my guys practice on "so dead a miracle couldn't fix it" phones first. If you're going to throw it out it doesn't matter if the glass is more broken. After a few times of breaking the same thing you learn to NOT do that.
     
  3. linuxuser21629

    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    19
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2013

    Nov 11, 2013
    19
    4
    16
    Male
    wally world lacky
    I found a replacement glass panel on ebay for $15. as long as my phone doesn't have any hidden issues, I may go ahead and try my hand at replacing the screen.
     
  4. linuxuser21629

    Thread Starter
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    19
    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2013

    Nov 11, 2013
    19
    4
    16
    Male
    wally world lacky
    The screen I ordered arrived today. Installation wasn't to bad, however the mach is a bit more difficult to disassemble than most phones. Lg hides the slider screws under a lot of stickers, padding, and even one under the imei info sticker.
     
  5. powerkane

    powerkane Android Enthusiast
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    53
    Posts:
    284
    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011

    Oct 18, 2011
    284
    70
    53
    To try and be as much help as possible
    MI
    ouch LOL
     
  6. mtstew

    mtstew Member
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    16
    Posts:
    30
    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012

    Apr 22, 2012
    30
    4
    16
    PC/mobile device technician
    Arkansas
    LOL-G Mach.

    Good thing the one I ordered is already pretty banged up.
     
  7. dishe

    dishe Well-Known Member
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    38
    Posts:
    205
    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010

    Nov 22, 2010
    205
    11
    38
    I picked one of these up on ebay to replace my wife's older phone- but yesterday her glass got some hairline cracks, and its driving her bananas! We *just* got it! I'd like to try a repair (since the digitizer is only $15 or so on ebay), but the fact that this is a slider worries me. I have a friend who might be able to help, (he's done plenty of iPhones and other similar device repairs), but the fact that this is a slider worries me.

    This phone has no documentation I can find. So, I'm super-duper worried it will be a nightmare and I'll regret trying, and should just buy another one on ebay. Then again, if my next step is to buy another one anyway, what do I have to lose for $15?

    Linuxuser21629, it sounds like you don't regret trying it! Got any helpful tips or anything you wish you had known before attempting this?
     
    #7 dishe, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. dishe

    dishe Well-Known Member
    Rank:
    None
    Points:
    38
    Posts:
    205
    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2010

    Nov 22, 2010
    205
    11
    38
    ...just checked in, I see Linuxuser21629 hasn't signed into the forum in about a year. Sigh.

    Anyone else have some success stories with this?
     
Tags:

Share This Page

Loading...