1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root So I finally rooted and have a question...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by paintisnthere, Jan 10, 2011.

1. paintisnthere

paintisnthere Member
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    New Jersey
    So I rooted it all went smoothly, far as I can tell atleast, and then I flashed Myn's warm twopointtwo from the XDA post cause it had the Radio/WiMax update it said I needed. I want to try a different ROM or two, so I was wondering if/when I switch to a new one do i need to do anything different regarding the radio update(s)? Also any suggestions on a good ROM to try out are appreciated :p.

double ps haha also what about kernals, I wasnt sure about them so I just went with the ROM

Advertisement

2. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Congratulations on the successful root :). So, you actually flashed the new radios along with the ROM, correct (they are separate downloads)? Assuming you did, you can now flash any 3.70-based ROM without having to worry about your radios. You only have to update once (until we get a new update, obviously).

As for other ROMs, here's the whole list:

HTC Supersonic/ROMs - XDA-Developers

You can flash any 3.70 ROM you want (as I said before). If you want anything older than that (3.30 and under), you must downgrade both the radio and PRI (or just the PRI, and flash a different kernel, but let's not make this difficult since you're new to it). Just stick with a 3.70 ROM. Most of them are getting updated or already are.

Here's a thread from here with some good suggestions and opinions:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/250161-poll-vote-your-favorite-rom.html

As for kernels, if you go back to the myn's warm xda page, you can see that he has some recommended kernels in the OP (or first couple of posts). Basically, netarchy, ziggy's, kings, etc. are some of the popular ones. Read about what they offer before flashing anything. Of course, ask questions if you need. What specifically do you want to do with a custom kernel? Do you understand what they offer and how they differ from HTC stock kernels?

3. paintisnthere

paintisnthere Member
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the congrats :D

yeah they were two seperate downloads, so ill check that rom list im not 100% sure on kernals i just been hearing about them, i saw the one with the trickle charging/battery life, im not sure what i want out of one, i was considering going with the battery one cause i wouldnt mind a bit of extra batt life haha unless you have a suggestion on one that would be the best to go with cause if not ill probably just read up on them and see what i would like to achieve, and thank you for the reply and the links i think ill check out another rom or two although now that i found the 'optionals' folder from myns i might use this alot i was really only upset that sprint nav was removed, then i found it was there :)

edit: im also going to check myns post on the kernals see whats floating around there

double edit: on doing backups, is backing up from the recovery menu the right way to go? i backed up through there before putting on the twopointtwo, i saw theres a backup option in ROM manager, and when i back up for some roms it says preform a wipe do i do that through recovery menu also? i was going to do it last night but i didnt for fear of losing my contacts

4. paintisnthere

paintisnthere Member
    None

Dec 22, 2010
    New Jersey
    eh im flashing vaelpack 3.0 atm gonna try it out see how it goes haha

5. akazabam

akazabam Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Near Los Angeles
    Right, so as long as you're using clockwork, the backup option in ROM manager will just reboot into recovery, and do the exact same thing, but automated. It's the same thing. Personally, I do everything from recovery. I don't like ROM manager. It's buggy.

As for wiping, you should always wipe data from recovery before flashing a new ROM. Your contacts are tied to your google account. You will not lose them. In any case, if you feel you've lost something, just restore a nandroid backup from recovery. Everything will be exactly as it was when you made the backup.

Tags: