• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I got an Archos 70 for Christmas. Now What?

Hi, I bought an Archos 70 for my wife as a Xmas gift. :p Now what? :thinking:

Let's start the thread that shows us newbies what to do.

should I root it? How?
What should I install?
What should I delete?
How do I optimize it?

Give me your answers! Send me stuff to read! Get me up to speed!
Thanks, in advance!

Hi, I bought an Archos 70 for my wife as a Xmas gift. :p Now what? :thinking:

Let's start the thread that shows us newbies what to do.

should I root it? How?
What should I install?
What should I delete?
How do I optimize it?

Give me your answers! Send me stuff to read! Get me up to speed!
Thanks, in advance!

Rooting is up to you. I believe only temp root is available currently for Archos and the new update breaks it. So if you prefer to just use stock then I suggest just downloading the update from Archos and leave it alone.

As far as deleting...I don't believe there is much to delete. It asks you when you boot it up if you want to install their stuff. Just say no and you shouldn't rly need to remove anything.

As for installing/optimizing, personally I would use Launcher Pro. But there is also ADW launcher which I believe is a little more true to the stock Android experience. Check them both out and see what she likes more.

Forum.ArchosFans.com - View forum - Archos 70 Internet Tablet

^ is a good forum to read and get info from. You can also get the Android Marketplace from the forum. Likely the first thing I will be installing on Christmas morning. :)

My opinion on rooting is it seems unnecessary. I like it for tether and screenshots but I believe both are features that work on the Archos out of the box.(Depending on your phone)

I don't know the process of rooting but this device so check out Archos fan site above for info on it.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

PS...Merry Christmas :)

Upvote 0
I was showing it to my 16-year-old nephew and we were trying to figure out how to get past the first christmas level of Angry Bird Seasons, when his six-year-old cousin came by said, is that Angry Bird Seasons? "Can I try, I'm good." He proceeded to clear about 8 levels in a row. I hadn't even heard of Angry Bird Seasons until this morning.

Upvote 0
My wife hooked me up with an archos 70 As well. I too am loving it. The first thing you are going to want to do is put the official market on it! App Lib is horrible!

http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Archos_70_Internet_Tablet_with_Android

Go to the "Getting Started" section at the bottom of the page for easy step-by-step directions.

No serious need to root now IMO. That may change but now there is no great benefit.

Upvote 0
Market, LauncherPro, My Paper Plane2.... that is all :)

I would suggest going with at least a class4 micro sdhc's. I have 2 16GB class4 cards and they run video and audio just fine. Sometimes takes a couple seconds to buffer up but after that no problems. Look around on the web though as you can usually find some great deals. I got these for $20 each and I heard that you can find 16GB class 10's for around $30. Don't bother with the 32GB's yet as they are overpriced for now at around $100. Also watch were you get them from, there are a bunch of fake ones floating around on ebay right now, stick to a more reliable place to purchase them.

Wifi problems? Reboot router first. This has worked everytime since the 0.71 firmware update. (for me anyway, YMMV)

Upvote 0
I have an Archos 7 home tablet and trying to download apps on it and need help. Any one that can give me step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Check out my post HERE

Hopefully that will help. You will not be able to run all the apps that a Archos 70 can run because of the hardware and Android 1.5 running on the Home Tablet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones