• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I returned my Captivate today...

baddress

Jul 23, 2010
...and exchanged it for another one first thing this morning. I was having abysmal battery life, 6-8 hours tops with all the tweaks. The GPS didn't work, of course, and I was having flaky problems with the "back" soft button not working right and the wifi constantly disconnecting at home. I signed in and when my name came up, I told them how I was on hold for 4 hours with Samsung and couldn't get anything resolved. I told em, find me a new one in the back, whatever is the newest ones you just got in, I don't want anything from the initial shipment. They found one with a shipment date of 7/29 and a battery date of 7/15. (They've started putting a HUGE $35 restock fee sticker on all of them now, covering the whole front of the box.. maybe too many are coming back, lol!)

Well the new one:
-GPS worked at the AT&T store, the first time, got an instant 30ft lock. Of course it didn't work at all when I got home. Why does it work at the store always? Oh well. Hope they fix it soon. Samsung's stonewalling concerns me, however.
-Back button works perfectly 90% of the time (there's still that little lag thing of course but the button lights up and registers).
-Battery came charged 47%. I didn't tweak anything, left on live wallpaper, the whole deal. Guess what? After 5 hours the battery is at 39%. After 9 hours the battery is 33% and that's with browsing the web and re-downloading all my apps and stuff. Impressive.
-Phones been on wifi for the past 3-4 hours. Hasn't dropped once.
-Also got the body glove case, to try it out. It's nice! Fits right, doesn't stretch.
-PS - I love you Android, I can't quit you.

So this is the fifth one. I think it might be the good one. I've got ~14 days to find out. Maybe the Samsung quality control monkey was full of bananas and paying close attention on this one. Let's hope!

Backstory:

#1 Captivate, got on release morning, first one from the store (aside: of course I had to ask for it specifically because they were hidden in a back corner and the sales guy assumed I wanted an iPhone :rolleyes:). Well the first one, I should never have left the store with no signal on it but the guy said it would need time for the sim to register and the data plan to kick in. Whatever. Still no signal, or wifi, or gps - the internal antenna was missing or broken or whatever. Brought it back that night. So then...

#2 Captivate, did an even exchange. Guy puts the sim and battery in, phone won't turn on, won't boot. No power. So we move to

#3 Captivate, sales guy is frustrated by now, we get the this one set up and turn it on, guy says hey lets test it first. Well he can't figure out the soft buttons on the bottom. He hands the phone to me. Turns out the soft buttons won't press. At all. We reboot it, and when it comes up, says the media card is corrupt. Well it ate my 8gb SD card (the one from my previous motorola) with all my photos and media. Nice.

#4 Captivate, finally got one that works! They weren't happy about giving me a free 8GB microSD though. This is the one I've had for two weeks until I returned it today.

Moral of the story? If your captivate sucks, maybe you should exchange it for a new one not from the original shipment. You might get a good one!

-Battery came charged 47%. I didn't tweak anything, left on live wallpaper, the whole deal. Guess what? After 5 hours the battery is at 39%. After 9 hours the battery is 33% and that's with browsing the web and re-downloading all my apps and stuff. Impressive.

I'm also having a serious battery problem, after surfing the web for two hours it's down to 20%.

Above you say after 5 hrs.... my question is what were you doing for five hours? Mine lasts fine if I don't surf the web.

Have you surfed for a few hours, and if so, what was battery life at that point?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm also having a serious battery problem, after surfing the web for two hours it's down to 20%.

Above you say after 5 hrs.... my question is what were you doing for five hours? Mine lasts fine if I don't surf the web.

Have you surfed for a few hours, and if so, what was battery life at that point?

Thanks

Yeah it was in my pocket doing nothing in the stock config for 5 hours, then I spent about 4 hours adding all my web bookmarks back, downloading apps, etc (over wifi). But before my phone would die after 8 hours while it was in airplane mode only. So this is quite improved.

For the record I just finished charging it 30 mins ago, I have iheartradio going on max volume through headphones (some really nice Grado SR80's - look that up!) and after 29 minutes of iheartradio the battery is 99%. YAY!!

Upvote 0
Wow, I'm having a lot of those issues too. Strangely, today my battery life has lasted twice as long as it ever has. I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 bars of signal in my house, usually it switches between the 0 and 1 (even though calls still go in and out just fine), so the battery always lasted longer out of the house in areas bathed in bars, but today it's been 12 to 15 hours at home (I was asleep when it notified me that the battery was full, so I'm not sure when I unplugged it), and it's at 10%. Only thing I can think of was that last evening I ran the battery to 3% before charging it, and I hadn't pushed it that low before. I am considering exchanging mine because of the number of times I repeat-press the back button, and a small scratch I ended up with on my screen, and your ultimate success sounds like it might be a good move to make.

Upvote 0
Yeah my battery life has gotten much better since I got it on release date. I've been using mine on and off all day and it's still at about 90% (no calling - just light gameplay and web).

The GPS is still locking - albeit a bit slow. Much better than before I did a factory reset when it wasn't locking at all.

Upvote 0
I agree that a good amount of the first batch phones need to be taken back..

My #2 phone was manufactured 10 days after my first one and I am now completely happy with the phone.

First phone battery issue - with the phone on standby, the phone wouldn't last more than 36 hours.

Phone #2 - Bought the phone lunch time friday, charged it until about 7pm.. phone is now at 34% with a good amount of use on it (Wi-fi on 75% time/navigation/web browsing/market use)

I am also noticing on the #2 phone that when you click on the battery status (to show what is eating the batter life) the thing that is NOW eating the phone is Cell standby- where as the first phone would be the Display (even though the phone WAS on standby)..

So maybe it is an issue with the phone ACTUALLY going to "sleep"?

Another issue I noticed on #1 cappy was that the phone would get hot (on my ear) after a 15min phone call - This should not happen..

So to those of you seeing crappy battery life (and are actually not using the phone that much) and having GPS issues swap it out ASAP

Upvote 0
I have a question about returning the phone. If we completely return it, not exchange or anything, are we still locked into a 2 year contract with at&t or are we free to switch carriers with no termination fees?

My captivate will be delivered next week. If there isn't a gps fix by the 28th day, I'll be returning it. I'm not really sure what phone I would get...I would get the verizon fascinate but there's no telling when that'll be released. i guess I could just go back to the droid inc but I really like the form factor of the 4" screen. The droid x and htc evo are too big for me. They would have to either be 4" and lcd, or 4.3" and amoled for me to consider them.

Upvote 0
Well I still have to repeat press the back button, I'm not sure but I think it's a problem to some extent with all of them.

How do you find out the actual phone manufacture date? I only know the battery date and the date the store got it delivered to them but not when the actual phone came out of the factory.

Upvote 0
I have a question about returning the phone. If we completely return it, not exchange or anything, are we still locked into a 2 year contract with at&t or are we free to switch carriers with no termination fees?

My captivate will be delivered next week. If there isn't a gps fix by the 28th day, I'll be returning it. I'm not really sure what phone I would get...I would get the verizon fascinate but there's no telling when that'll be released. i guess I could just go back to the droid inc but I really like the form factor of the 4" screen. The droid x and htc evo are too big for me. They would have to either be 4" and lcd, or 4.3" and amoled for me to consider them.

No you are not still locked into the agreement, but make sure to call customer care after you return it and tell them you did return it at the store and location and ask them to terminate service to the line.

If you want to port your number to another carrier do that first before calling in and canceling your current line of service with ATT or else you could lose your number.

Upvote 0
Update: After pulling my phone off the charger ~17 hours ago, the battery is down to 75%. This includes idling on wifi overnight, and light usage so far today. The wifi hasn't flaked out yet either. This % is not great but it's so much better than before. After it finally runs down and I get a chance to cycle charge it I'm hoping it will be normal or good.

If you think your phone is eating too much battery I encourage you to get up your resolve and go with your gut and demand a replacement.

Upvote 0
I have to wonder:

How many people who report improvements after exchanging also tried doing a factory-reset first?

A lot of the reported issues could be the subtle result of stuff that had been installed.

Been thinking about it since reading on a thread here that someone mentioned his was flying (no lag) after factory wipe.

My one thing is, that is suuuuuuuuuuch a pain :(

I might do it next week, as I'm on vacation...

T

Upvote 0
wouldn't the MAJOR issue be possible software differences between "first batch" phones and one's made thereafter? if that was the case, wouldn't there be some sort of update? i doubt that a phone made 10 days after first batch is really any different....as far as batteries they do take a bit to become "conditioned"...and part of that is conditioning yourself to not be using the phone 24/7 :)

Upvote 0
Unless there was a hardware difference.

Both are checkable under Settings>About Phone
Maybe we should list up versions/builds and compare with those who have swapped?

I doubt there's a software difference.
Hardware, I dunno, MAYBE...

I'll Start:
IMEI (minus last 4): 35186304025xxxx
Manuf Date (from Samsung Registration): July 4, 2010
Purchase Date: July 19, 2010 AT&T Corporate Store, So Florida
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I897UCJF6
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2

T

Upvote 0
Well I've had my cappy since thursday and not satisfied with battery life. I let battery drain completly last night and fully charged it last night. Its been unplugged since 730am. Now only light internet use (30 min), checked a few apps, and I'm down to 63% now at 120 pm. :( I have fancy widget, task killer, battery indicator running. I've done all the basics, wifi to never, brightness all the way down, only sync my gmail, etc. Not sure what else to try? Ill try a few more battery cycles. If it doesn't improve its gonna have to be swapped :( thoughts?

Upvote 0
Well I've had my cappy since thursday and not satisfied with battery life. I let battery drain completly last night and fully charged it last night. Its been unplugged since 730am. Now only light internet use (30 min), checked a few apps, and I'm down to 63% now at 120 pm. :( I have fancy widget, task killer, battery indicator running. I've done all the basics, wifi to never, brightness all the way down, only sync my gmail, etc. Not sure what else to try? Ill try a few more battery cycles. If it doesn't improve its gonna have to be swapped :( thoughts?

FWIW I usually unplug at around 7:30AM and by 1:20 PM I'm also usually around 63%. I have mostly the same usage patterns as you except I use it a little more intensively (I have gchat running all the time and I check it every 10 minutes or so).

My battery usually hits critical (<15%) sometime in the evening at home ... so I can make it through a full work day but not through a full day.

I haven't really minded because it's easy to charge at home but I'm always wondering how people are getting like two-day uptimes haha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones