• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So i rooted my phone today....

Well first of all, this is my first post. Ive had an evo for about 4 months, and these forums have answered quite a few questions that ive had. Im pretty good with computers, im not technologically illiterate but this is all new to me.
Anyway, i rooted my phone today, and i moved all the apps i could to my sd card, then backed everything up off my sd card to my computer while rooting it.

Here come the questions.

One thing i noticed is, in my download folder there are 3 "Download.apk" files, i only had one of these on the card before i backed everything up. I read somewhere you can open these with a file manager but i couldnt get it to open, i didnt try very hard honestly.
What is this file and/or whats in it?

Where can i find the apps i moved to my sd card?
I would assume they would automatically appear, and since they didnt am i just going to have to delete them and redownload them?

Well first of all, this is my first post. Ive had an evo for about 4 months, and these forums have answered quite a few questions that ive had. Im pretty good with computers, im not technologically illiterate but this is all new to me.
Anyway, i rooted my phone today, and i moved all the apps i could to my sd card, then backed everything up off my sd card to my computer while rooting it.

Here come the questions.

One thing i noticed is, in my download folder there are 3 "Download.apk" files, i only had one of these on the card before i backed everything up. I read somewhere you can open these with a file manager but i couldnt get it to open, i didnt try very hard honestly.
What is this file and/or whats in it?

Where can i find the apps i moved to my sd card?
I would assume they would automatically appear, and since they didnt am i just going to have to delete them and redownload them?

In the "download" folder you'll find apps you downloaded from the market, photo's you downloaded from MMS messages, downloaded mp3 files. That's what I have in mine anyways :D.

When you moved the apps, did you just place them in the root of your sd card?

Upvote 0
How did you root
Did you wipe afterwards
Moving apps to sd is not a form of back up though you can use the list to download them
When you move an app in froyo it is moved to android secure on your sd card. You can not reinstall these...

Need more info. Typically rooting doesn't wipe out your apps

Oh...and those download.apk files are just random possibly incomplete downloads. Anything you dload like pics files etc go there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones