• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So I Rooted - Now What?

BlueIce5249

Android Expert
Mar 31, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
I rooted and installed the newest leaked version of Froyo. But now I don't know what I can do now that I rooted. Before people ask why did I root without knowing what I can do with it, it's because I wanted Froyo and some of the features it carries.

The biggest thing I want to do is the wifi hotspot for up to 5 devices. That and I'd like to remove the annoying Amazon apps that can't be uninstalled normally and maybe some themes. I'm assuming the different themes are obtained by switching to something like Bugless Beast v3??

Mainly - I really just want to know where to go from here? Everything I've been reading keeps throwing roms and kernels and scripts and now I'm just confused :thinking:. Help please?!

Oh. Sorry. At work and i like half answered you. My bad.

Roms change the entire interface of your device. A kernal gives you the option to overclock your processor.

Example: I am running JRummy Kangarade Froyo-NexTheme with P3's 1.25ghz kernal. Check out this forum. read as many of them as you can and look at the screenshots

Jrummy - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Okay, so you have rooted. Download "Rom Manager" from the market.

Do clockwork recovery.

Then download a rom (a few are free) i have the premium version. I would do that b/c it gives you more rom options.

Again, i would seriously read some detailed forums or watch youtube videos to ensure you do everything properly.

Reactions: BlueIce5249
Upvote 0
Ok so do the roms give me the ability to uninstall the system apps and give access to features normally blocked (like mifi) then?

mifi? Who the hell is mifi? :D J/K, I know what you meant ;)

ROMs are the operating system. Before you rooted...you had one choice. You were running the release that Motorola and Verizon gave you. Now, you can load a number of different choices. That's where the confusion comes in...there are so damn many!

2.1 or 2.2? That is the first question you need to ask yourself. 2.2 is still working through some glitchiness issues but they are much faster ROMs than the 2.1 ROMs. I personally would go with 2.2 (it's not that glitchy...don't worry) ...and then you have another question...

Source build or not? I'm sure you've heard of Cyanogen. That is a ROM that is built directly from the same source that your "stock" 2.1 ROM came from (you know...before you were rooted). The devs who build from source (there is a list stickied to the top of this forum ;)) can alter the design much more than other devs like Pete (Bugless Beast). BB is not a source build...it is based on a leaked version of the next "stock" ROM (for those non-rooted folks). Remember...a built from source 2.2 ROM is not necessarily "better" than a 2.2 ROM based off of Motorola's leaked builds...there are just some minor differences that you will discover as you flash different ROMs.

I like the following ROMs:

Built from Source:
- Cyanogen (doesn't have a 2.2 ROM out yet)
- Sapphire (0.6.2 is stable and very nice).

"Modified ROMs:
- Bugless Beast (or the versions modified by Fabolous) - V0.3 is the latest 2.2 release and I've heard mixed opinions.
- JRummy makes a ROM called Kangerade (v1.1 is the latest) and it is really nice. (Now JRummy also makes a ROM compiled from source...but it's not stable...I just didn't want you to think that all JRummy ROMs are the same).

Kernels? This is just a piece of software that is a "go-between" for your software and the ROM. You don't see it, and you really don't know it's there. This software has the ability to change the frequency of your phone's processor. Increasing the frequency means your phone goes faster. All phones are different but faster always means hotter, and decreased battery life. I think that every Droid phone can run 1.0GHz and be 100% stable. Some can go above that. I would start at 800MHz or 1.0GHz. If you want to load up a 1.25 kernel...you can, but your phone may not boot up and then you will have to pull the battery, reinsert it, boot into recovery, locate a different kernel, flash it and then reboot. It starts to get confusing right now...so don't go above 1.0GHz until you get the hang of it ;)

Bottom line...

- Pick a ROM
- Pick a kernel (usually have recommended ones listed where you got the ROM)
- Pick a Recovery (just use Clockwork Recovery...most ROMs are compatible with it and it has a nice little app...ROM Manager...that goes along with it.

Hopefully that helps ;)

Upvote 0
mifi? Who the hell is mifi? :D J/K, I know what you meant ;)

ROMs are the operating system. Before you rooted...you had one choice. You were running the release that Motorola and Verizon gave you. Now, you can load a number of different choices. That's where the confusion comes in...there are so damn many!

2.1 or 2.2? That is the first question you need to ask yourself. 2.2 is still working through some glitchiness issues but they are much faster ROMs than the 2.1 ROMs. I personally would go with 2.2 (it's not that glitchy...don't worry) ...and then you have another question...

Source build or not? I'm sure you've heard of Cyanogen. That is a ROM that is built directly from the same source that your "stock" 2.1 ROM came from (you know...before you were rooted). The devs who build from source (there is a list stickied to the top of this forum ;)) can alter the design much more than other devs like Pete (Bugless Beast). BB is not a source build...it is based on a leaked version of the next "stock" ROM (for those non-rooted folks). Remember...a built from source 2.2 ROM is not necessarily "better" than a 2.2 ROM based off of Motorola's leaked builds...there are just some minor differences that you will discover as you flash different ROMs.

I like the following ROMs:

Built from Source:
- Cyanogen (doesn't have a 2.2 ROM out yet)
- Sapphire (0.6.2 is stable and very nice).

"Modified ROMs:
- Bugless Beast (or the versions modified by Fabolous) - V0.3 is the latest 2.2 release and I've heard mixed opinions.
- JRummy makes a ROM called Kangerade (v1.1 is the latest) and it is really nice. (Now JRummy also makes a ROM compiled from source...but it's not stable...I just didn't want you to think that all JRummy ROMs are the same).

Kernels? This is just a piece of software that is a "go-between" for your software and the ROM. You don't see it, and you really don't know it's there. This software has the ability to change the frequency of your phone's processor. Increasing the frequency means your phone goes faster. All phones are different but faster always means hotter, and decreased battery life. I think that every Droid phone can run 1.0GHz and be 100% stable. Some can go above that. I would start at 800MHz or 1.0GHz. If you want to load up a 1.25 kernel...you can, but your phone may not boot up and then you will have to pull the battery, reinsert it, boot into recovery, locate a different kernel, flash it and then reboot. It starts to get confusing right now...so don't go above 1.0GHz until you get the hang of it ;)

Bottom line...

- Pick a ROM
- Pick a kernel (usually have recommended ones listed where you got the ROM)
- Pick a Recovery (just use Clockwork Recovery...most ROMs are compatible with it and it has a nice little app...ROM Manager...that goes along with it.

Hopefully that helps ;)

UBRocked, it's always cool as hell to read your answers to questions like these... I've learned just enough about rooting, switching roms and kernels to work through most of the obstacles I encounter independently, but your knack for speaking in layman's terms is very educational for people like me who aren't real technical. I'm very glad there are people here like you who take time to help others. You do that very thoroughly and effectively. Thank you!

On a side note, I just installed Pete's BB .03 and this thing is running flawlessly. Not as flashy per se' as some of the others I've tried, but it makes my Droid run so effortlessly and fast. I'm running it with the Smoked Glass theme (I'll switch between that and NexTheme) to dress it up some. But I would definitely say this is a very polished version performance-wise.

Reactions: UBRocked
Upvote 0
UBRocked, it's always cool as hell to read your answers to questions like these... I've learned just enough about rooting, switching roms and kernels to work through most of the obstacles I encounter independently, but your knack for speaking in layman's terms is very educational for people like me who aren't real technical. I'm very glad there are people here like you who take time to help others. You do that very thoroughly and effectively. Thank you!

On a side note, I just installed Pete's BB .03 and this thing is running flawlessly. Not as flashy per se' as some of the others I've tried, but it makes my Droid run so effortlessly and fast. I'm running it with the Smoked Glass theme (I'll switch between that and NexTheme) to dress it up some. But I would definitely say this is a very polished version performance-wise.

I appreciate the kind words. This is just a fun hobby for me and I've always been into the "techie" things. Having said that, I have to read a lot of information to keep up with some of the people here. There are some very intelligent people here and believe me, when I speak in "laymen" terms...that is how I have to process information internally for it to make sense to me.

I'm on here everyday and if I wasn't...I'd probably get lost rather quickly :p

Upvote 0
I was about to make a new thread, but I think this one will suit my question just fine.

I'm tired of having root access and being stock 2.1 and only being overclocked. I thought that's what I wanted, but as of late I've had terrible problems with my device being incredibly slow and having multiple apps FC'ing constantly. I've tried Home++, PandaHome, ADW.Launcher, among others, and they are all incredibly slow and glitchy. It's beyond frustrating.

So I think it's time I flash a Froyo ROM. What I want to know is, REGARDLESS OF FEATURES, SCRIPTS, THEMES, ETC., what is the MOST STABLE ROM out there?

Upvote 0
Whew...I don't know that I can give you a "most stable" ROM...but there have been two that have been good for me as of recently.

Kangerade 1.1 (based off one of the leaks)
Sapphire 0.6.2 (source build)

I had pretty good success with Succulent Desire as well.

Once you start tinkering with themes and what not, it is hard to say what could be causing instability issues. I've flashed pretty much all of em at some point and these are the ones I would say are the most stable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones