• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help So I want to buy an unlocked Nexus 4.

So where do I get these Sim cards? Do I buy them at AT&T stores? Do I buy them through T-Mobile?

I am new to the Sim card world. Will the un-locked Nexus 4 get HSPA+?
I have been using a CDMA carrier for a decade.

Is there a reliable way to check the coverage in your area beforehand?

Lastly, can I take my unlocked Nexus 4 directly to T-Mobile & sign up with them contract-free?

Is this a truthful article about my options?
Google's Nexus 4: Understanding your carrier options | Computerworld Blogs

~ ArmyX

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
HSPA+ is plenty fast enough for me :)

So with this method I can buy an unlocked Nexus 4 directly from Google and take it to T-Mobile?

Thank you!

~ ArmyX

the nexus 4 is my first GSM device as well. i ordered a t-mobile microsim card from the t-mo website for $0.99 (with free overnight delivery :)), activated and ported my old number and chose a plan right on the website. never went to the store. i have the $30 a month plan, and yes, hotspot works without root.

edit: the other link above is for a regular sim card, this is the one you want
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/T-Mobile-Micro-SIM-Card-Activation-Kit

Reactions: ArmageddonX
Upvote 0
Both AT&T and T-Mobile have coverage maps on their websites. I'd look there and see how it is for your area. If you have good T-Mobile coverage where you live i'd go with them as they have much faster data speeds. If you don't have good T-Mobile coverage you can still go with AT&T.

T-Mobile has a $30 a month pre-paid plan with unlimited data, unlimited texting, and 100 minutes. If you need unlimited minutes you can go through Straight Talk, which offers unlimited everything for $45 a month off contract. You can choose to run through either AT&T or T-Mobile with straight talk so you can still get T-Mobile's speeds with unlimited minutes.

No matter what you choose you should order the Micro SIM (this is important, Micro SIM) card online.

Reactions: ArmageddonX
Upvote 0
The sim world can be a bit confusing to old-timer CDMA folks like ourselves, but it's not hard to get the hang of it. I went with T-Mobile's prepaid, as I have good T-Mo coverage where I go and you can't beat the price. Note that the $30/month plan mentioned above is only available online or by calling T-Mobile to activate your sim. Activation is pretty painless, the website does a good job of walking you through no matter what plan you choose.

Good luck and welcome to the awesome world of unlocked no-contract mobile!

Upvote 0
For the Nexus 4 you want the one in the middle.

compare-sim-card-sizes_1332801203.jpg

You can cut a full size sim down to fit and use adapters to make the smaller sims fit in phones that require larger ones, but it's best to get the right size.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones