• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I wasn't at first, but now I...

am thinking about returning the Incredible. I have not had any major issues with the phone, but I feel like what we got was an unfinished product, whether it be the phone or the OS (or a combination of the two). A lot of people have mixed opinions on the phone, and whether the phone actually lives up to its name.

This is more or less to see if others have returned theirs, or are thinking about it, and if so why?

So this is what I mean by unfinished:

The Google-based applications aren't entirely synced. This is an Android (Google) phone and you mean to tell me something as simple as updating profile pictures to reflect the actual ones isn't working properly. i.e. Latitude and Talk don't have updated photos, just the first photo that was dumped in.

A lot of applications force close for no apparent reason. The phantom swipe. The phone isn't optimized for efficient power consumption (battery sucks). The phone will sometimes turn off, or reboot for whatever reason.

It's nice having open source development, but when you have no restrictions your basically using a dev phone, hence the unfinished product.

I'm not knocking the phone, just explaining my definition behind 'unfinished'. The phone's specs look legit, so only thing I could assume is the OS is still a work in progress.

I'm sorry, but I would consider both random reboots and FCs major. I would be returning my phone over those.

Upvote 0
If you are not happy with it, you should return it. Based upon some of the issues you are having though, perhaps try to exchange it. The battery life is what it is, but many devices now battery life issues. They are packing a lot power in there, and that eats up the battery. Every phone I have gotten has had worse battery life than the one before it. I guess this is just something I have come to expect, so it does not bother me as much as others.

I switched to this phone after running blackberries for 5 or 6 years. I am happy I made the switch. I am still getting used to not having a physical keyboard, but I get more used to it everyday. I miss that, and also miss the desktop software from BB. BB's bread and butter is supposed to be email, and I have to say my Incredible is better at push email. BIS has been very disappointing the past 6-12 months...

Upvote 0
I switched to this phone after running blackberries for 5 or 6 years. I am happy I made the switch. I am still getting used to not having a physical keyboard, but I get more used to it everyday. I miss that, and also miss the desktop software from BB. BB's bread and butter is supposed to be email, and I have to say my Incredible is better at push email. BIS has been very disappointing the past 6-12 months...

Which email program are you using with such great success? I have tried the stock version and K9 and I am still not seeing anything near the push I was with BIS. This is my major gripe at this point and I would really like to solve this issue. The only reason I am considering returning the Inc is due to my email frustrations.

Not trying to thread jack here, feel free to PM me with advice.

Much Appreciated!

Upvote 0
Two weeks with the Inc now..... and returning has only crossed my mind on a couple of small issues. One issue, which really isn't an issue since it doesn't seem to effect the actual workings of the device... which is that the protuding camera lens on the back is not completely square/plumb/flush with the phone. We are talking a very small bit, but as a former residential home builder I have an eye for when something isn't square or aligned correctly. But we are talking so very little that even looking at it as I type it's such a small gripe that it's not worth pointing out. Everything else about the phone sans battery life (I use the hell out of my phone) is brilliant compared to the blackberry pearl flip I came from. Sure, every once in a while an app force-closes. The onscreen keyboard I would add a couple or more options if it were me, the LED on the front isn't bright enough (blackberry wins here), etc. But I never expected perfection and the speed and capability of the phone still blow me away. It ain't going back unless a bonafide real reason presents.

Upvote 0
Which email program are you using with such great success? I have tried the stock version and K9 and I am still not seeing anything near the push I was with BIS. This is my major gripe at this point and I would really like to solve this issue. The only reason I am considering returning the Inc is due to my email frustrations.

Much Appreciated!
This is the kind of hijack I can live with. :) I use Touchdown for Exchange email, can I assume that's what you have? It's the only thing that got me off of BB successfully. They have a 5 day trial, I suggest you get it.

Upvote 0

The Google-based applications aren't entirely synced. This is an Android (Google) phone and you mean to tell me something as simple as updating profile pictures to reflect the actual ones isn't working properly. i.e. Latitude and Talk don't have updated photos, just the first photo that was dumped in.

A lot of applications force close for no apparent reason. The phantom swipe. The phone isn't optimized for efficient power consumption (battery sucks). The phone will sometimes turn off, or reboot for whatever reason.

It's nice having open source development, but when you have no restrictions your basically using a dev phone, hence the unfinished product.

I'm not knocking the phone, just explaining my definition behind 'unfinished'. The phone's specs look legit, so only thing I could assume is the OS is still a work in progress.

Im sorry but I have not experienced a single thing that you've posted here. I think you are VASTLY over exaggerating. Google Talk uses a chosen profile picture, not an updated facebook one. Talk to your mates if you want to see a different photo.

The only applications ive had forceclose are those that arent market-specific. And Battery is at 6% after 15hrs of use. I cant ask for much more for having GPS/Wifi/Sync on the entire time.

If you arent happy with the phone, take it back. Dont troll for followers...

Upvote 0

Much Appreciated!

I PM'ed you about this, but will post similar since it came up on another reply.

I am just using the stock HTC email client for two work accounts, one a POP3 and the other an IMAP account. My IMAP account in particular is much faster than what I got on BB through BIS.

POP3 is another issue. At times on my BB, I would not get email at all. I spoke with my ISP, VZW, and BB about it, and they all pointed fingers to one another. When I am in front of my computer and have Outlook open, I still do not get all of my email to my phone (maybe 1/3 come through). Still, that is better than what I had with BIS, when none at all would come through. This is also an issue with POP3 email, and I know I can adjust my settings in Outlook to help rectify it. However, our email storage through our ISP is somewhat limited in size, and if messages do not get cleaned up quickly, the box will be full and emails will bounce back to the sender.

My personal Gmail service now is much better as well. I used the Gmail app available for BB (instead of BIS), but the Android Gmail app is faster, more usable, and syncs better.

I cannot speak to other email clients as I have not used any others yet.

Upvote 0
The only thing that bothers me about the phone is the signal reception. (phone/WiFi) When I had my LG Dare, I had no problems using it in my office building. With the Incredible, there are some spots where I totally lose signal. This is my second Incredible and it happens on both.

Also, on both units that I've had, the WiFi range sucks. I have to be within 10 feet of my home router or else it drops connection.

Upvote 0
Also, on both units that I've had, the WiFi range sucks. I have to be within 10 feet of my home router or else it drops connection.
Another hijack, but so be it...
Really? I have two Wifis in my house and I get great signal from both. They are in the basement and 3 floors up they just don't drop off. I accidentally turned off Mobile yesterday and didn't even realize it until I looked at the indicator. I'm using Cisco Aironets, but I think Linksys is now being made by them. Perhaps it's the router? Can you get good signal on your laptop?

Upvote 0
Another hijack, but so be it...
Really? I have two Wifis in my house and I get great signal from both. They are in the basement and 3 floors up they just don't drop off. I accidentally turned off Mobile yesterday and didn't even realize it until I looked at the indicator. I'm using Cisco Aironets, but I think Linksys is now being made by them. Perhaps it's the router? Can you get good signal on your laptop?

Yea, I have no issues with connection on the laptop at home. If I take both phone and laptop to my back porch, the laptop will connect fine while the phone has no bars at all and won't connect. This happens on my current one and happened on my previous unit. While the router isn't the greatest (Verizon FIOS), it does it's job.

And yes, Cisco acquired Linksys a while back.

Upvote 0
Who's gonna upgrade to 2.2 sooner?

We should be able to just install it like installing windows, should not have to wait for a new UI from the manufacturer. Google needs to fix that.
Also with the carriers hamstringing tethering just to suck more money out of us.... Where's my Razor? ;-)
Unfortunately Google has no control over how long HTC or any other manufacturer takes to update their phones. It's up to HTC to take 2.2 and build Sense around it, and there is nothing Google can do to fix it.

Upvote 0

I've had not one app force close
My battery is fine
I don't use latitude as none of my friends do

Phone is perfect for me

Upvote 0
I think your main gripe, rossmathis, is with the Android OS moreso than the phone itself. With that said, you should still probably return the phone if your user experience isn't what you hoped for. Because like it or not, the Android OS is the only one you're gonna get on an Incredible. For that matter, you probably won't be any more pleased with any other Android phone at the moment.

Your best bet is to look at an iPhone until the Android OS satisfies your needs. You'll be more limited with the iPhone OS, but it should work a bit better out of the box due to those limitations. The freedom that comes with an Android OS also brings the occasional hiccup. For most of us, however, that's half the fun!

Upvote 0
Lurking since I received my phone on May 3; this is my first post on this forum.

I completely agree with this statement:

I like mine, nothing is perfect, and if you wait for the perfect product, you'll be waiting forever. (though to be truthful, I waited until something like the Droid came out without a physical keyboard - which I thought would be the Nexus on Verizion, but then the Incredible came out).

I like my phone and plan on keeping it.

I too was waiting for the Nexus to hit verizon. When it didn't and the Inc did, I bit. I like the phone and plan on keeping it. I don't think there is much better on the market at this time.

Upvote 0
Lurking since I received my phone on May 3; this is my first post on this forum.

I completely agree with this statement:

I too was waiting for the Nexus to hit verizon. When it didn't and the Inc did, I bit. I like the phone and plan on keeping it. I don't think there is much better on the market at this time.
Exactly the same situation here.

Upvote 0

What you call unfinished, I call defective since I don't experience those issues. I think your issue might be with HTC quality control, not polish/finish.

Upvote 0
minus having to trick the phone to charge the battery completly i have not had any issues with the phone and I can say that this has been the best phone I have had to date and I have owned a lot of smart phones.

If i did decide to return it it would be for the evo which is going to give me the same experience.

Upvote 0

I have not once had my phone turn off or reboot, not once. This handset has a 1 gig processor its going to suck power if you want speed. Maybe you have something loaded on the phone that is causing these problems? I really have not had one major glitch with mine.

Upvote 0
I have had my phone reboot/shut off on me twice. Both times the signal was fluctuating between 1x and 3g and both times I was downloading an update from the market place. Seems to me that the phone was fighting for a signal. I think I heard of this being a know issue in a certain region but I did not think I was in that region.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones