1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

So is everyone switching to Liberty?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BurnsideAdmiral, Feb 8, 2011.

1. BurnsideAdmiral

I'm still rolling with ApeX as of right now. Anyone want to give me a quick pros and cons of Liberty over ApeX before I make the switch?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

i had soft reboots (not too bad) but somedays it became too much, mine froze ALOT so i had to blackberry battery pull, and it drains the battery somewhat.

but thats just my device, no 2 devices will be the same. its just all on what your device can take

3. dhoffman1421

dhoffman1421 Android Enthusiast

I've been running it since 1.0 with zero issues, before that was running Gummy Jar with zero issues. It does use a lot of battery though.

4. StrifeJester

StrifeJester Android Enthusiast

I have been seeing more and more random reboots running APEX and that alone is almost enough for me to want to try liberty at this point. Think I am going to backup the OS and wipe it this weekend when i have time to image the card as well so I can just restore everything back if I need to. I like the backup solutions but some of them really don't work all that well and its getting to be a pain switching ROMS. I might just go stock rooted too.

5. xliderider

xliderider Android Expert

No reboots whatsoever for me running Liberty 1.0 and 1.5. While running Apex, apps used to just close on me unexpectedly, no error message, just quit to homescreen.

6. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

Outside of a few bugs, its a solid ROM. I like it better than ApeX.

7. colchiro

colchiro Extreme Android User

If you install Liberty, grab the update from here. It'll improve your battery life. No need to follow the rest of the procedure unless you care to participate in the testing.

xliderider, in2uition and darkcyber like this.
  8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

GummyJar for me...It's the best thing to happen to my phone so I may move once Liberty's bugs get worked out better.

9. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

How's that working out for folks? I have not had time to read that thread yet.

10. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

I have and keep 3 roms on my phone right now. Stock, Apex1.3.1 and Darkslide 4.2 Blur.

I tried to like Liberty but way to many bugs on my phone at least and i continue to like "some" blur apps. Not sure why something has to be completely blur less........oh well.

I also ran GummyJar for awhile and really liked that.

As of now, i use Darkslide 4.2 Blur because of the awesome way it is themed and the way they kept some of the blur so the phone will continue to work as a phone......IMO.

When the devs get the bugs worked out of Liberty, i may try it again.

11. Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge Well-Known Member

I tried Liberty 1.0,as did a friend,it had way to many bugs on both our phones,too many battery pulls,and poor batt life. Too many stable roms out there to worry about this one not working on my device...IMO,Rubix is a lot more stable,the slight bit slower it is is well worth the stability and batt. life.....

12. lennydude

lennydude Android Expert

LOL.............

"might be bugs on some of you thugs, there ain't no bugs on me"

Try Apex or Darkslide..................FAR fewer bugs IMO

13. colchiro

Battery life seems to be much better now.

14. bassett

bassett Newbie

Liberty is clearly a solid ROM. Darkslide 4.2 Blur is simply better for me and my Droid X. It is the most balanced ROM for me in terms of stability, speed, battery life, etc. Like others have said, different results for different people.

15. justruss

justruss Lurker

I'm sticking with Apex 1.3.1-- I never get reboots, and I almost never get force closes (I can't remember the last one), and I probably turn my phone off once a month or less.

Battery life is great, works superbly with overclocking/undervolting, and it's stable for me.

I can't help but wonder if many of the reboot problems have less to do with the roms than with software conflicts and/or tinkering done by the user...

16. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

I have run Apex with no problems, I just wanted to try other ROM's. I went to Liberty 1.0 with no problems and then moved to 1.5. The only problem I have had with 1.5 is battery drain issues. Some days my battery last great, other days with about the same usage it's hit hard and drained way down. But hopefully this update will fix that. About to apply this and see. But love the 1.5 ROM, except for battery drain.

17. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert

...until Apex 1.4 comes out.

18. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert

Both ROMs have been stable for me undervolted and overclocked at 1.3 gHz. Liberty feels more snappy but there are a couple of minor bugs that annoy me. The ability to easily tinker with the look of Liberty is very cool. Battery life about the same for both roms for me as well.

19. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

Did you do anything special with this update or just install in and using it to see how your battery lasts. I read through that complete thread and just seems everyone is testing it and I really didn't see anything posted yet about it being that great. I already get as good or better battery life than what most are posting over there and I am on the ext. battery. I am just not getting as good of battery life as I use to get before installing Liberty 1.5.

So, if I just install the patch it should improve my battery life?

20. Xeneize480

Xeneize480 Android Enthusiast

Fission and Liberty are my favorite roms. Both run very good. But for now I am using Liberty.

21. alprazolam

alprazolam Android Expert

That's what is hoped for by the Liberty devs. I don't think it is expected to increase you to phenomenal battery life. Just back to around the same amount of life you were getting out of Liberty 1.0.

darkcyber likes this.
  22. darkcyber

darkcyber Android Expert

Thanks!

I am running the Black,White, Chrome theme. Wonder if it will work with that theme. I know in the thread he states to run the stock Liberty theme, but I assume he is saying that for testing. Anyone know if this will work on a different theme?

23. bouchigo

bouchigo Android Expert

Yes it will work, but you have to modify framework-res.apk to change out the pngs and some .xml files if you want it to match the BWC theme, otherwise some things will look stock Liberty and others won't.

I'm running it just fine, modified of course :D

24. jxker

jxker Android Enthusiast

I havent tried Liberty yet because after the install of apex everything simply just works and after reading the Liberty posts there seem to be a few bugs, I know people like to tinker with their phones but I want mine to simply work when I need it to and Apex gives me that

25. colchiro

I'm on Liberty 1.5 with the above patch and the moto extended battery. I followed the directions to charge to 100%, delete batt stats, then drain the battery, then recharge.

With the exception of a 20 minute call, otherwise very light use (installing updates and deleting emails), I'm currently at 60% after 41 hours. I suspect this is similar to what I get on Apex.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews