1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root So is it not possible to boot into CM7 from SD anymore with the new update?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FyrFytr998, Dec 21, 2011.

1. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Member
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    So I was reading Engadget, and it had a story that the NT and NC both had loopholes closed that allowed sideloading non-B&N content.

So does this mean that booting from a mSD into CM7 is no longer an option? Me thinks that be a bad move on B&N's part. Most people usually ask a friend with some electronics know how before a purchase. And most people with electronics know how are usually people that like to tweak out their "toys".

I understand trying to imitate Apple's walled garden approach to content, but the ability of B&N's NC and NT to be tweaked is what helped spur the word of mouth sales for them. Even the Fire is suffering. I mean keep your exclusive content approach for those not electronically inclined, but dammit man, let people make their own minds how they set up their tablets if they have the ability to do so.

The suits that run the show at B&N better wake up! The price points on regular Android tabs are starting to drop to competitive levels to the Nooks and Fire's. The reason why Apple's approach works for Apple is their ecosystem is way better and more vast than B&N's App selection. B&N "HAS TO" allow content from the market if it wants to survive.

I had considered purchasing the Nook Tab or the Fire, but as of now, no. And what I want out of a tablet is making me lean more towards the iPad2 everyday. The spec and models of Android tablets I would consider are priced exactly the same as the fruit pad.

Can B&N do the right thing and swing me back in that direction? We'll see. But they better hurry. I am already halfway in my tablet fund to the iPad. Which Ironically is enough to get the NT or Fire.

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Blocking sideloading of apps is not the same as disabling booting off the sdcard.

AFAIK, that still works. They could decide to only allow signed bootloaders on the sdcard... that would be a good time to get pi$$ed.

FyrFytr998 likes this.
  3. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Member
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    So CM7 works......just not the market now?? :thinking:

Sorry for so many questions, but I was ready to do the whole CM7 SD Card thing. No real reason to do it if the market doesn't work.

4. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Nothing really wrong with CM7.1.

Market has always been a little flaky on devices where CM was added (not from the mfgr) where certain apps will not be found. That WAS a problem a month or two ago tho. (I unstuck that thread.)

There's also Amazon Appstore, which should be able to get the couple apps that don't show in Market.

5. chocophile

chocophile Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 22, 2010
    The Market works fine on CM7. It appears that the Market does not work on the rooted B&N OS, if it's been updated to 1.4.1.

6. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    I'm about as far from and expert as you can get, but does it matter what OS is on the nook if you're booting from the SD card? My understanding was that when you booted from the SD card, it bypassed the nook's OS entirely and ran the native Android from the card. Therefore if you have a working boot from an SD card, what is on the nook should be totall irrelivant.

Or am I way off base.....

7. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Nope, you are correct. :D