• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So is this baby getting honeycomb as well?

If it does come it will have to a cut-and-push job as Honeycomb is not designed for single core hardware devices such as the Tab.

Personally I would be a little concerned running a cut-job version of Honeycomb as basically you are then saying goodbye to any further official updates and you will have also thrown your warranty straight out of the window.

The problem is not down to Samsung..... No, this time it's a constraint of both the hardware and Google Android.

Have a read of this if it helps.

Upvote 0
If it does come it will have to a cut-and-push job as Honeycomb is not designed for single core hardware devices such as the Tab.

Personally I would be a little concerned running a cut-job version of Honeycomb as basically you are then saying goodbye to any further official updates and you will have also thrown your warranty straight out of the window.

The problem is not down to Samsung..... No, this time it's a constraint of both the hardware and Google Android.

Have a read of this if it helps.

Nah, cut and push job? Thats what samsung would want you to believe!

Upvote 0
Samsung don't have much say in it, not with the processor that's in the current Tab.
Honeycomb is simply not designsd for single core devices. That's why if anyone does make a Honeycomb ROM for the Tab it will have to be a 'cut-&-push'.

Surely the quote from Android 3.0 Preview Platform Highlights (Android 3.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers) would suggest otherwise??

"Support for multicore processor architectures
Android 3.0 is the first version of the platform designed to run on either single or multicore processor architectures. A variety of changes in the Dalvik VM, Bionic library, and elsewhere add support for symmetric multiprocessing in multicore environments. These optimizations can benefit all applications, even those that are single-threaded. For example, with two active cores, a single-threaded application might still see a performance boost if the Dalvik garbage collector runs on the second core. The system will arrange for this automatically."

-OG.

Upvote 0
Surely the quote from Android 3.0 Preview Platform Highlights (Android 3.0 Platform Highlights | Android Developers) would suggest otherwise??

"Support for multicore processor architectures
Android 3.0 is the first version of the platform designed to run on either single or multicore processor architectures. A variety of changes in the Dalvik VM, Bionic library, and elsewhere add support for symmetric multiprocessing in multicore environments. These optimizations can benefit all applications, even those that are single-threaded. For example, with two active cores, a single-threaded application might still see a performance boost if the Dalvik garbage collector runs on the second core. The system will arrange for this automatically."

-OG.
That's all well and good saying it supports single-core but only where the speed is greater.
The 1Ghz processor on the Tab is simply not fast enough to be included as a single core supported thread.
Have another read of the link I referred to where it explains the Galaxy Tab will not run Honeycomb in a true and full ROM package.

Upvote 0
That's all well and good saying it supports single-core but only where the speed is greater.The 1Ghz processor on the Tab is simply not fast enough to be included as a single core supported thread.Have another read of the link I referred to where it explains the Galaxy Tab will not run Honeycomb in a true and full ROM package.
How do you know that? If it really couldn't run it then the google dev would have said so. I think you're just letting samsung get away with it..

Upvote 0
How do you know that? If it really couldn't run it then the google dev would have said so. I think you're just letting samsung get away with it..
There's a big difference between single-threaded application's that will run on dual core and single core processors that can't run multi-threaded applications.

Even the Dev said in his example he made:-
" For example, with two active cores, a single-threaded application might still see a performance boost if the Dalvik garbage collector runs on the second core."

Also what about the minimum resolution of Honeycomb which runs at a screen resolution of 1280-by-720 or greater.
As we know, the Tab only provides a resolution of 1024-by-600 which is under the minimum requirement.

Upvote 0
There's a big difference between single-threaded application's that will run on dual core and single core processors that can't run multi-threaded applications.

Even the Dev said in his example he made:-
" For example, with two active cores, a single-threaded application might still see a performance boost if the Dalvik garbage collector runs on the second core."

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Google have developed honeycomb to run on both. That means no apps will require multiple cores. They are innately developed to work on both. We aren't talking about performance boosts on dual core.

Also what about the minimum resolution of Honeycomb which runs at a screen resolution of 1280-by-720 or greater..

I don't think that's true? Wheres the source of that info?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Google have developed honeycomb to run on both. That means no apps will require multiple cores. They are innately developed to work on both. We aren't talking about performance boosts on dual core.
It's probably best if we both agree to disagree on this.
We are both well educated and sound in our reasonings.... We've simply hit a block.

I don't think that's true? Wheres the source of that info?
Have a read at that link I gave earlier on, it mentions in there about the screen resolution.

Upvote 0
Well you might be right Beards, but I'm gonna wait until it comes from the mouth of google, not an app dev or samsung.

I strongly believe they would have mentioned a thing like that if it were true, until then, everything else is just rumour.

Have a read at that link I gave earlier on, it mentions in there about the screen resolution.

PC World article? It also mentions dual core as a minimum spec..

Upvote 0
Well you might be right Beards, but I'm gonna wait until it comes from the mouth of google, not an app dev or samsung.

I strongly believe they would have mentioned a thing like that if it were true, until then, everything else is just rumour.

PC World article? It also mentions dual core as a minimum spec..
My regards to Manchester....
I was up there last month at the Central University Hospital listening to the latest Biomedical Research which the Hospital & University is well loved for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones