• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So I've had Gingerbread for a few days

dijon

Nov 18, 2010
UK
..... and I'm already bored with it. Plus it won't work with my BT keyboard, so I went ahead and put CM 7 on it.

Have to say, despite a few hiccups in the downgrade process, rooting and installing CM7, it is flipping fantastic :D

Really shouldn't have waited this long to root my phone! I might have lost some Sense niceties along the way (Connected Media is the one I really miss - but I have a workaround) but I've got no bloatware on the phone at all.

Will try the BT keyboard again once I get it back (my colleague borrowed it for his Media PC), but can't see myself going back to Stock now.

Any CM7 users got any tips for a newbie?

..... and I'm already bored with it. Plus it won't work with my BT keyboard, so I went ahead and put CM 7 on it.

Have to say, despite a few hiccups in the downgrade process, rooting and installing CM7, it is flipping fantastic :D

Really shouldn't have waited this long to root my phone! I might have lost some Sense niceties along the way (Connected Media is the one I really miss - but I have a workaround) but I've got no bloatware on the phone at all.

Will try the BT keyboard again once I get it back (my colleague borrowed it for his Media PC), but can't see myself going back to Stock now.

Any CM7 users got any tips for a newbie?

Not really got any tips for you, as I've only been rooted for a couple of weeks, but have to say that I'm LOVING CM7... welcome to the club! :D

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what does rooting means? =/ can i root my phone too? what does it do and what r d consequences?

I am a NOOD too but I think I have understood what booting means. Booting allows you to get complete access to your ROM.
You can install third-party ROMs like LEEDROID, CM7 et al and take full control of your phone.
But I still dont know, if anything goes wrong, if you canrevert back to your default ROM (2.2 in DHDs Case)

Upvote 0
I am a NOOD too but I think I have understood what booting means. Booting allows you to get complete access to your ROM.
You can install third-party ROMs like LEEDROID, CM7 et al and take full control of your phone.
But I still dont know, if anything goes wrong, if you canrevert back to your default ROM (2.2 in DHDs Case)

Rooting gives you superuser access to your phone and allows you to do things that carriers (Orange/O2) don't want you to do - remove bloatware apps, etc. Basically Android as it should be! It also lets you install custom ROMs like CM& and Leedroid.

If you have any issues and don't want to be rooted any more, then it does appear to be pretty straight forward to put things back to normal, although I don't think I'll be going down that route! :)

Reactions: abhineetkundu
Upvote 0
You can, and I have done it once. Depending on what CID you have you can flash one of the HTC RUUs back onto the phone. I used the RUU for the Gingerbread release to put my phone back to Stock without any problems. Of course you lose root, all your data & customisations by flashing the phone back to stock.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones