• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So July 29th came and went..

I'm pretty sure I read an article with VZW CFO saying that 3G would remain untouched and 4G may get tiered pricing.

Plus, if we're on contract, can they switch it up like that? When AT&T did it, they allowed existing customers to keep their unlimited, and I think it was "forever" as long as they continued to renew.

Upvote 0
No, they are slowing integrating it. (I work at a Spa, where I drive one of our Verizon Saleswomen bonkers with questions and such. I also send a boatload of business her way because I show off my phone alot.) ANYWAY - She said that when switching clients that had a $10.00 data plan up to what WOULD be the unlimited $30 plan there was no longer an option this week. This was not for all, and she said anyone that was ALREADY on the $30 plan would be "grandfathered" in, if they wanted, or could change the plan if they felt the need. I'm in PA, so not sure if this is all stores - but she works at the "main business hub" in our area.

Upvote 0
I just went and tried to upgrade my son's phone to a smartphone plan. The $30/mo unlimited data is still available and the $45/mo is also available. No other options are there.
Of course there are no other options, you are required to have an unlimited plan with a smartphone. The multimedia dumb phones are the ones that have the $10 plan.

Upvote 0
I'm calling BS on this. You can go to vzw.com and act like you're creating a new acct with a 3g multimedia phone, and you still get prompted for the 9.99/25MB or 29.99/unlimited plans.

Yeah ONLINE if you do it yourself, I stated it was a Verizon Salesperson who was doing it on their computers. I was just repeating what I was told, no reason to "bullshit" me.

I was talking about already registered people that were trying to change their data plans.

Upvote 0
dunno, but i gave my eris to my brothers girlfriend today. she came from an env touch and had the vpak $15 a month package, and we had to up it to the $30 a month package...what a friccin' ordeal. registering the ESN and activating it online woudln't work; had to call up and talk to them ugh..such a hassle lol

Upvote 0
Yeah ONLINE if you do it yourself, I stated it was a Verizon Salesperson who was doing it on their computers. I was just repeating what I was told, no reason to "bullshit" me.

I was talking about already registered people that were trying to change their data plans.

While it doesn't surprize me that this may be happening, look what they did with the multimedia phones by requiring at least a $9.99 data package, I still have the option to add the 29.99 unlimited package to my GF's LG multimedia phone. She is sticking with her current phone, even though she is due for upgrade, because she refuses to pay for a data package to do what she is currently doing for free. She was livid when I told her about the data package requirement, and even more so when I told her that her current phone would require it if she hadn't already activated it under our current plan. She didn't believe me and went to Verizon and was told the same thing, right before the salesperson tried to sell her a phone. That went over well :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0
Think we'll be allowed to keep the $30/month for unlimited data if/when they decide to switch to tiered data?

I would think such a drastic change would require existing customers to either "re-agree" or require Verizon to negate such contracts. I know the small print probably says V can do what it wants, but I'm not sure that would hold for a drastic change.

Can anyone say "class action lawsuit"? :D

Upvote 0
I'm a little surprised at the number of "they'd better not"/"greedy corporation"/"screwing us" comments I'm seeing (not just in this thread - but in general).

In a day and age of smartphones that can generate huge traffic volumes, cheap unlimited data plans are a money-losing proposition. Why is it so unfair that Verizon or other companies are expecting you to pay for the services you are using?

Fleeing to another carrier won't help - Sprint can't keep up unlimited data forever either.

Watch some of these "what is your data usage?" threads - people are using gigs and gigs of data with torrent clients, tethering, perpetual media streaming, etc.

AT&T caught a lot of flak for what they did, but it was necessary and for a majority of their users, the plans now cost less money - a huge majority of the users now fit in the $15/month plan.

In the near future, you should expect to see "minutes" and "sms" plans done away with - everything will go over IP. Users will be differentiated by data usage. Whether you're a heavy talker or a heavy downloader, you will have to pay for an appropriate data tier. I don't think that's crazy, or bad, or unreasonable at all.

Upvote 0
I know exactly how this is going to work. Like they said, they're not going to touch 3g plans until 4g comes along. But it's gonna be like the old data pay-per-use switch over from $1.99/day to $1.99/MB. Last summer I was on the former plan, and the only way I could get access to the newer multimedia phones when I went through the order process on my account for renewal was to upgrade my plan to the newer one that switched to "per MB" pricing. That being said, us customers right now on the 3g-only phones, I bet we'll be able to keep our umlimited 3g data plans for life if we want, even on newer phones. However, to get access to 4g (or maybe even 4g phones in general) we'll need to upgrade and accept the terms of an updated plan that includes tiered data with no unlimited option. Bottom line, they'll get you one way or another. You don't have to give up unlimited data, but if you want access to newer equipment, they'll force your hand.

Upvote 0
If you guys want to be mad at anybody, be mad at the people who run up 40GB of data usage a month on their phones. It's always a few people who screw stuff up for the rest of us...

Amen !!

I have unlimited data but still use wifi whenever It's available anyway. It's faster and it doesn't draw unnecessary data on the cell phone system.

However, I think Verizon's latest business decisions are quite poor. Most people see all these added charges as a load of crap!!
Verizon needs to have a more level pricing on their plans If they are going to require data on any of their devices.

Upvote 0

So this salesperson is trying to say that existing customers are getting less options than new customers?? Riiiight.

Btw, I called BS on what your friend or whatever said... not on you.

Upvote 0
Last time I went to verizon, june 13th, I asked about this (because I knew AT&T did it) and they said verizon had no plans ever to do this. I live in michigan. westland store.
They won't do it if enough customers complain about it in the future when more people switch from dumbphones to smartphones. Plus, I doubt the rep you talked to has any idea of the pricing of the 4G data plans, so I wouldn't put too much faith into what he told you.

Upvote 0
If you guys want to be mad at anybody, be mad at the people who run up 40GB of data usage a month on their phones. It's always a few people who screw stuff up for the rest of us...

I see your point to an extent and then I think about the $100 A MONTH I ALREADY pay them just for 450min, In network and data.....It's expensive enough and they make a killing.....so it's hard to feel sorry for Verizon for wanting to screw me out of more money. I don't use anywhere close to 40gb but I do usually range around 5-6gb line every month.....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones