1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support So, just how good or bad is the call quality?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Topshelf, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Topshelf

Topshelf Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hey guys, I could really use some help here. I've had the DInc since launch day and while I enjoy the phone, the call quality is killing me. I thought it was average until I was forced to use my wife's iPhone 3G the other day. I had a 20 minute call on that and immediately went into a rage at my Dinc. It's nothing short of horrible, but I didn't realize it. I spend a good amount of time using my phone for calls, so I really, really need a Verizon Android phone that has exceptional call quality. Can any owners let me know if the X fits this bill?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2010
    I was talking to someone yesterday and they were on a land line....it sounded like I was too. Call quality was THAT good.

Keep in mind that if your calling someone with a not so good phone, call quality probably won't be good.

Kinda of like the saying...only as good as your weakest link.

3. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Call quality has been fantastic, especially using Skype Mobile. I have yet to have any dropped calls or fading in and out.

I only wish the speaker were louder, because as it stands, it's futile to rely on the speakerphone :(

4. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Excellent so far, better than the Droid.

5. Topshelf

Feb 27, 2010
    Thanks. I've been testing my phone with other phones and landlines for 3 days now. The one common thing I've found is that my DInc is the weakest link. :(

6. Agfox

Agfox Active Member

Jun 27, 2010
    Quality has been very good. Leagues better than my BB. I've been pleasantly surprised.

7. Topshelf

Feb 27, 2010
    I really appreciate the comments guys. Just to specify my exact complaint...the incoming voice almost sounds like it's breaking up at times. Outbound quality is OK, I guess, but incoming is just bad. I've been missing a lot of details during conversations due to that. Nobody has noticed this? I'm "this close" to trading my DInc to an X owner.

8. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2009
    i got a few "they can hear me i cant hear them" calls....
    probably a bad phone. i`ll wait a week then try to exchange.
    had this problem with my dinc also...

9. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser

Nov 7, 2009
    Multi-platinum Rapper
    Illinois
    have you guys tried changing the voice codec?

I'm assuming it's the same process as on the original Droid, which is to dial ##PROGRAM

The PW is 000000

Choose option 4, "Vocode", and switch it to EVRC-B (a reboot will ensue)

This should result in better call quality.

10. Topshelf

Feb 27, 2010
    I have changed my settings to EVRC-B. No noticeable improvement. Guess I should get to a store to check one of these phones out before trading for one.

11. Topshelf

Feb 27, 2010
    Got a chance to play with a Droid X tonight for about 30 minutes. Initial impressions are very good. I did some back to back phone calls to test quality, and it wasn't even close. The X is just in a different class when it comes to voice clarity. Strange thing is my buddy with a DInc swears he doesn't have any of the issues I have. And like an idiot, I never thought to make a call from the DInc that was right next to me the entire time to see if it was just mine or all DIncs. Either way, after playing with that X I don't know if I can go without that massive screen now. My God was that nice! So it looks like all I have to do is unload my DInc and I'll be picking up a new X. Thanks for the opinions guys.

12. doctajay

doctajay Well-Known Member

May 14, 2010
    My incoming and outgoing calls have been very very crisp. Even my friends comment on how clear my voice is. The Droid X really does do the phone thing really well, much better than any htc phone I have had (tilt, touch pro, touch pro 2, hd2, nexus one, etc.)

13. dookie1

dookie1 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    i followed the process in the following link as soon as i got the phone...seems to be what you describe. worked fine on the X. call quality is excellent, though i can't offer a comparison to OEM, as i did this mod immediately.

How to Increase Droid X Call Quality

14. Topshelf

Feb 27, 2010
    Just be warned that while this change might show a minor improvement to some people (I don't think the X needs this from my testing), you do open the possibility of losing signal all together if you are in an area that doesn't support EVRC-B. That's why it is not turned on by default.

15. BlakeDC

BlakeDC Active Member

Jul 14, 2010
    I don't believe this to be the case. I've been all over USA with my Droid and I've never had any issues with that. Droid X will be the same :)