• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So let me get this straight.... Unlocker rooting.

So you really just browse to Unlocker in your phone, download that file, run it, and you're rooted? It just cannot be that easy. Going to attempt it tomorrow. Nothing else to download? Nothing else to do? It just cannot be that easy =)

I got my Hero for $100 from a guy at Craigslist because he updated to an Evo so that he could use it as a router lol Perfect condition and screen. Moving on from Windows Deadbile. On 10/1 I get to add Android to my SERO :) But I found I can use the marketplace and do everything but place calls without the phone being activated so I'm going to play with it Wed and Thurs (and I get my Otterbox Defender Wed!! :))

So you really just browse to Unlocker in your phone, download that file, run it, and you're rooted? It just cannot be that easy. Going to attempt it tomorrow. Nothing else to download? Nothing else to do? It just cannot be that easy =)

I got my Hero for $100 from a guy at Craigslist because he updated to an Evo so that he could use it as a router lol Perfect condition and screen. Moving on from Windows Deadbile. On 10/1 I get to add Android to my SERO :) But I found I can use the marketplace and do everything but place calls without the phone being activated so I'm going to play with it Wed and Thurs (and I get my Otterbox Defender Wed!! :))

After you are rooted, download rom manager, flash clockworkmod recovery(make sure it says CDMA Hero), make a nandroid backup in recovery and then you can flash new roms.

Make sure: DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING GSM RELATED:mad:

ONLY CDMA:D

Upvote 0
Curious, once one is rooted, they do not loose anything in there set up, and then once they also use the Rom Manager and flash CWM they still do not loose anything on there phone, correct, then once that is done then they do a Nandroid back up in recovery, then they can flash any Rom from there and and only once they flash a Rom is where they loose there full setup and have to set there phone up all over again and download all there apps again is that correct??. Now once they flash a Rom and decide they want to go back to there stock backup, then there phone would still be rooted but with the stock UI and setup from the backup and there full setup would be back to where they were before they flashed a custom Rom??? I am asking this as this seems to be where the peeps are hesitating to root as they do not want to loose there original setup if they don't like the custom Roms or are having too many issues with the custom Roms and want to go back to stock.

FYI heck I may even root if this is the case, LOL

After you are rooted, download rom manager, flash clockworkmod recovery(make sure it says CDMA Hero), make a nandroid backup in recovery and then you can flash new roms.

Make sure: DO NOT FLASH ANYTHING GSM RELATED:mad:

ONLY CDMA:D

Upvote 0
Curious, once one is rooted, they do not loose anything in there set up, and then once they also use the Rom Manager and flash CWM they still do not loose anything on there phone, correct, then once that is done then they do a Nandroid back up in recovery, then they can flash any Rom from there and and only once they flash a Rom is where they loose there full setup and have to set there phone up all over again and download all there apps again is that correct??. Now once they flash a Rom and decide they want to go back to there stock backup, then there phone would still be rooted but with the stock UI and setup from the backup and there full setup would be back to where they were before they flashed a custom Rom??? I am asking this as this seems to be where the peeps are hesitating to root as they do not want to loose there original setup if they don't like the custom Roms or are having too many issues with the custom Roms and want to go back to stock.

FYI heck I may even root if this is the case, LOL

If you make the nandroid of your stock rom, you can always go back but why would you? Once you get the hang of flashing roms, the only way you can totally screw your phone is by flashing a GSM radio or GSM rom:(

Yep, but after you are rooted on stock, download Titanium Backup and you can use that for market downloads after you flash a rom. You can use TB flashing between roms too. Just make sure to make a nandroid first, then wipe data, davlik cache and cache when flashing a new rom

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
K, I am sure many will be happy to read this, I would not most likely want to go back to stock, but was mainly asking for others as they don't seem to be asking the proper questions, so I figured I would, I myself am happy now with my phone, and have not even download the latest update, LOL, and it was not the concern of screwing the phone, is was the fact that all the Roms have issues anyways just like Stock has issues, so it was just incase someone want to go back to original stock without having to reset the whole phone up again

If you make the nandroid of your stock rom, you can always go back but why would you? Once you get the hang of flashing roms, the only way you can totally screw your phone is by flashing a GSM radio or GSM rom:(

Yep, but after you are rooted on stock, download Titanium Backup and you can use that for market downloads after you flash a rom. You can use TB flashing between roms too. Just make sure to make a nandroid first, then wipe data, davlik cache and cache when flashing a new rom

Upvote 0
Well, not THAT easy but I decided to just wing it (I've modded tons of different electronics before including AppleTV and other phones) and was able to do it without TOO much difficulty. I used 1.6 by mistake and when I used 1.5 it worked since I had 1.5 lol Did Cyanogen but was missing the marketplace and the first couple of gapps download links were broken so I decided the hell with it and did Fresh instead. Love my new phone =) Downloading apps now and widgeting around.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones