1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

So Long Crapcast, Hello DISH & Wireless Tether!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gearhead_eng, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Gearhead_eng

Gearhead_eng Newbie

I wanted to share my experiences and get an idea if others might be thinking about, or have done something similar. I'm curious how well this is going to pan out.

Disclaimer:
    [I do not work for DISH and do not receive money from them to talk about their services. Some names have been changed to protect their identities. I apologize in advance if I'm rambling in the coming paragraphs.]

I recently analyzed what I'm paying for Crapcast TV/High Speed Internet and my Sprint Phone Service. Currently I spend around $110 for TV/Internet and $165 for Sprint (four lines on Everthing Data). I got my parents on my plan and they pitch in $50/m. So that is a total of $225/m for TV/Cable & two Smart phones.

I realized that we don't use the high speed internet enough to make it worth keeping. We don't download from P2P sites, itunes, Game, or anything along those lines. Mostly just use it for online shopping, surfing the net, paying bills, and etc.. We do however stream the occasional Netflix movie from the Wii, but I guess we could live with Redbox if I can't run it off Wireless Tether.

I discovered Wireless Tethering (WT) about 6 months ago with My HTC Hero (Rooted and running CM6.1 & OC 768mhz). I use WT quite a bit and it works flawlessly. Only issue is the phone gets up around 110

2. mdizzle99

mdizzle99 Android Enthusiast

Just a note, the 5 gb data cap does not apply to using data on your phone on the sprint network. I believe they do have caps on roaming data use and network internet cards.

I have never had my evo overheat while using wireless tether (i use wired tether more often, though). I canceled my comcast internet a few months back, after our promotion ended, and use tethering as primary internet source. I too don't game, etc. although I do stream television often - I got rid of cable too so i stream onto my tv. I am a student so use internet for school and my wife uses it for shopping, bills, etc. I am very pleased with our current setup. I think you'll be fine.

3. Shawnz

Shawnz Android Enthusiast

Yes, Evo gets toasty too. I've never had it complain though.

I went to Antenna only with my Tivos recording pretty much everything on the big four networks in high def.

I'm still paying $48/mo for high speed Internet but we use the heck out of it between netflix x3-4 at once, kids online games (Roblox etc) and our general surfing. It's worth it to me right now.

Tivos are lifetimed so 3x androids on Sprint + HSI + Off-air/online TV - $200ish /mo.

It would be a major change for me to go tether only. I've done it with my laptop while on vacation but I wouldn't do it full time. We use the Internet connection too much @home.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews