• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I upgraded to the Epic from the Moment this weekend.

And the Moment cannot be found in the local stores here any more either. A friend of mine tried to buy a Moment from the local Walmart this weekend, and they no longer carried it.

So long Moment. You were a great phone, the best phone I had ever used when I got you last November. It's amazing how fast technology moves and you lasted me less than a year of loyal service.

I'm going to keep my Moment, turned on, in wifi mode, at least for a little while, to continue using some of the apps, email notifications, etc., as a back up at home. And I will never get rid of my Moment. It was my first Android phone, and I will always keep it as a reminder of my very first experience with an incredible platform.

See you on the Epic side.

My wife pulled the plug on her recalcitrant Pre last night and ordered a Epic, it should arrive tomorrow. I suspect that after playing with it for a while, my Moment will feel like a slug and I'll follow her. Since I'm not due a upgrade till next September, I might consider buying an Epic on ebay where new in the box can be found from trusted sellers for ~$100 less than Sprint. If I do go that route, I'll turn and burn my Moment on ebay hopefully for ~$150+ which should leave me out of pocket the same $250 my wifes upgrade cost. I doubt I'll get very much for her phone considering its rough physical condition and its connection problems. And if the Epic doesn't impress as much as I expect? I'll keep the Moment, my $250 and wait for the 3.0 phones to arrive

Upvote 0
See you on the Epic side.

My wife pulled the plug on her recalcitrant Pre last night and ordered a Epic, it should arrive tomorrow. I suspect that after playing with it for a while, my Moment will feel like a slug and I'll follow her. Since I'm not due a upgrade till next September, I might consider buying an Epic on ebay where new in the box can be found from trusted sellers for ~$100 less than Sprint. If I do go that route, I'll turn and burn my Moment on ebay hopefully for ~$150+ which should leave me out of pocket the same $250 my wifes upgrade cost. I doubt I'll get very much for her phone considering its rough physical condition and its connection problems. And if the Epic doesn't impress as much as I expect? I'll keep the Moment, my $250 and wait for the 3.0 phones to arrive
Sprint reset my upgrade sate to a couple weeks ago, and I'm still using my trusty Moment that I haven't had any problems with since I flashed 1.8.7 I'll probably give to my wife when I finally do the upgrade. Think I'll wait around til they get cheaper or maybe 3.0 who knows?

Upvote 0
As a follow up I'm still using my Moment on wifi mode without network connectivity. It actually works superbly as a wifi device to check email, browse website, check facebook, even buy / download Android market app, and send SMS via Google Voice. I just bought the Swiftkey app on sale today via wifi, and it worked perfectly.

The Moment is much more useful via wifi mode than my iPod Touch on wifi or even my iPhone on wifi mode. So I say keep it as a backup and use it on wifi mode or as a loaner to friends if need be. It's a great backup phone if you upgrade to the Evo or Epic. :)

Upvote 0
I was very impressed by the Epic but not ready to double my monthly bill or dish out $300 for a new phone. I just got the Moment and coming from a TP2 I love it. I have high hopes that Sprint releases a decent 3G phone in the next few months as I don't need 4G or it's fee.
There's a rumor of the Sanyo Zio coming to Sprint, and it seems pretty decent, unless Sprint cripples it.

Upvote 0
Not only do I not blame you but I'll be following you over in December. We're obviously not the only ones though, notice how quiet this forum has gotten since the early adopters have reached their upgrade times?

That'd be in November.

People either just realized that this is a dead phone (since Samsung/Sprint said they weren't supporting it anymore), or paid the extra money to buy a new one early.

Upvote 0
Funny, my wife got her Epic yesterday and I've had some extended use time with it. I thought I would be more impressed than I am. Sure, it's bigger/brighter/faster. But for how I use my phone, it doesn't make as big a difference as I thought it would. I know I hate the disappearing capacitive buttons design. It's looking more likely that if the radio issues are fixed in the next update, I might sit tight till the 3.0 devices. The jury's still out for me, but she's happy as a clam. She came to hate her Pre over the last couple of months.

So, you're using 2 phones? Or is one for a SO?

Upvote 0
Funny, my wife got her Epic yesterday and I've had some extended use time with it. I thought I would be more impressed than I am. Sure, it's bigger/brighter/faster. But for how I use my phone, it doesn't make as big a difference as I thought it would. I know I hate the disappearing capacitive buttons design. It's looking more likely that if the radio issues are fixed in the next update, I might sit tight till the 3.0 devices. The jury's still out for me, but she's happy as a clam. She came to hate her Pre over the last couple of months.

So, you're using 2 phones? Or is one for a SO?
I'm using both phones, switching the ESN as desired online.

That way I can do a true comparison, and also have a phone as backup.

I got pretty good deals on both phones so I'm pretty happy.

I was pretty happy with the Moment, running launcher pro, but it became laggier over time. For instance I counted last night how long it took to open the dialer. I counted 4 full seconds before the dialer fully rendered!

On the Evo / Epic it's less than a second, as it should be.

I know I could root the Moment and try to make it faster, but honestly why should I have to waste valuable time just to get a phone to work as expected? Especially considering the small 3.2" screen that is really tough on my eyes.

The Evo / Epic work as a phone really should, without the need for a lot of tweaking if you don't want to or don't have the time / resources.

Upvote 0
So, which do you like best?
I haven't had enough time to play with both yet to tell, so far.

I am really really loving the Evo. I am trying to switch the ESN to the Epic tonight, but Sprint's website is down at the moment... :mad:

I plan to use the Epic for the next couple of days while I apply Phantom Skinz to the Evo and let it dry.

The Epic is nicely skinned and ready to use. As soon as I can log into Sprint.com switch over. :p

Upvote 0
I know I could root the Moment and try to make it faster, but honestly why should I have to waste valuable time just to get a phone to work as expected? Especially considering the small 3.2" screen that is really tough on my eyes.

i think its worth the time rooting the moment. it doesn't take long to to root, install recovery and flash to your rom of your choice. just an hour to do everything. also it shouldn't take 4 secs to bring up the dialer mine is a sec or so on stock 2.1 moment. i do use atk to kill tasks, looks like your system is bogged down with apps using all the system memory. i can't wait to ditch my moment for a epic or evo as soon as i get the cash and can justify another $10 to my data plan. i live in a non 4g area outside of vegas, hopefully when i make my decision we will get 4g. i don't like the idea of paying for something that i don't have access too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones