• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help so many apps running.....

Rangerdavid

Jul 13, 2010
With the froyo update, there are so many apps running, both in my task killer, but also in the running apps section of the settings menu. Like Skype, and several I don't use and don't want running. Anyway with froyo to stop these from starting up and running all the time??

With the froyo update, there are so many apps running, both in my task killer, but also in the running apps section of the settings menu. Like Skype, and several I don't use and don't want running. Anyway with froyo to stop these from starting up and running all the time??

Just ignore them for now. Hopefully a non-root method can be found to get rid of them, but they aren't doing any harm ( they are not actually using the CPU or anything. They also can't really be stopped because they just restart. )

I notice that too, the update seems mostly cosmetic to me. No improvement in speed or battery life. And texting in the forums is a PITA now. And I was waiting on this? Maybe I was expecting too much. Still love my inc though.

Most likely a factory reset would fix that.

Also, install the latest flash ( Download: Official Flash 10.1 (V10.1.92.8) for Any Android 2.2 Phone | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog )

Upvote 0
Task Killers are virtually useless with Froyo. They're not even capable of turning off basic apps like HTC music player or Google Maps Navigation, which I would love to be able to turn off easily when I'm finished using them.

For google navigation just press the back arrow. For HTC music pause the music then press back.

Both are properly coded apps and behave well with Androids method of handling things. You can check in system panel and you will see their CPU time is not going up, because they are not actively running ( instead they are just idle waiting to see if you will return to them. This way they do not need to load up and actually save both time and battery. ) In fact, Navigation was completely shut down before I could even get into system panel:)

Upvote 0
system panel is more than a task killer and it DOES NOT kill tasks unless you want to and you manually do it. It shows whats actually running and whats just sitting there not using any CPU cycles. A task killer just kills it no matter if its actually active or now

that said, even killing several new apps using system panel then come back within seconds sometimes. Most dont appear to be doing anything though

Reactions: rrchoate
Upvote 0
So I went and got SystemPanel and ... it looks like a task killer....

Yep, I can kill tasks with it. So dont use task killers, but use systempanel, a task killer?

Clear this up for me

system panel is more than a task killer and it DOES NOT kill tasks unless you want to and you manually do it. It shows whats actually running and whats just sitting there not using any CPU cycles. A task killer just kills it no matter if its actually active or now

that said, even killing several new apps using system panel then come back within seconds sometimes. Most dont appear to be doing anything though

It does kill tasks, BUT it gets you a wealth of information as well. Cpu usage=battery usage (for the most part)
Can boot phone up and turn screen off a while. then turn on screen, open systempanel and anything that has cpu usage (other than sense and obvious stuff) might be causing phone to stay awake. If something is on there and cpu usage is at zero then it is not hurting anything and can be ignored. Task killers dont tell you that and everytime you kill a app THAT does use cpu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones