• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So....may be giving this a shot...

I'm shocked at the people angry that they can't make it through a workday. I can't either but that is no reason to avoid a phone altogether. If you have a desk at work then i bet you have a computer too. Buy a usb cable for a couple bucks and leave it at work. Problem solved. Buy a cheap car charger and leave it in the car. I don't think there is ever a circumstance where I'm not near an outlet, laptop, or car.

It's true, there's really no reason you can't charge it at your desk. In fact, I have a charger at my desk, in my car, and in my NYC office. But it sucks if you're running around all day and neglect to plug in. That's when the spare battery is a godsend.

Upvote 0
I'm shocked at the people angry that they can't make it through a workday. I can't either but that is no reason to avoid a phone altogether. If you have a desk at work then i bet you have a computer too. Buy a usb cable for a couple bucks and leave it at work. Problem solved. Buy a cheap car charger and leave it in the car. I don't think there is ever a circumstance where I'm not near an outlet, laptop, or car.

i can. took the train downtown for a ball game. left around 9am, got home around 6pm and the phone was toast. 4g was off, wifi off, gps off. surfed the net a few times on the way there, a little during the game to check stats and a little on the way home as well as a few phone calls.

that said, it was only the 3rd day of owner ship. i think it takes a few days for the battery to break in

your results may vary

Upvote 0
So....I may just bite the bullet and go EVO.

Here's my story. My decrepit old Blackberry Curve needed replacement, and so I figured I'd go Android. Was very excited, and snagged a Samsung Moment from Walmart.

Loved the phone. Worked like a dream, did everything I wanted it to do...but the battery life was incredibly unimpressive, even with task killer, autosync/wifi/gps/etc off. I had it in my desk drawer at work with EVERYTHING off except the actual antenna, and the battery dropped from 100% to 70% in three hours.

Sooo...I took it back to Walmart and just snagged a nice Blackberry Curve 8530, which is neat. I'm a Blackberry fan, and it hasn't failed me yet.

But the siren call of the EVO 4G is calling me...and I'm wondering if the battery issues (which I've read about, of course) are still as prevalent. i.e. if I stick the EVO in my desk drawer at work with similar settings, is it going to batterydrain like my Moment did? :D

If so...I'll stick with my Blackberry and give it another year before I jump to Android. Please don't get me wrong, I very much like the platform. But it seems like the batteries are the weak point. Of course, with any smartphone the battery will ALWAYS be the weak point, but I need a phone that won't batterydrain while doing absolutely nothing except checking for incoming calls. >.<

Thanks!
I know your a Blackberry fan and thats cool, but it's like your in darkness. Step out with the rest of us. With any of the new Android devices you wont look back. You are going to wonder why you stayed in the darkness for so long. Anyone will do. All that finger scrolling is not needed.

Evo 4G
Droid X
Samsung Vibrant or whatever they are called
Droid Incredible

I would even do moto blurr over Blackberry.

Upvote 0
See, that's the thing. My Blackverry (either of them) has never *needed* an extra battery. Granted, its not capable of doing as much as an EVO, but still.

I charge it every night, and I'm totally fine with doing that. But I need a phone that, with light to moderate usage, will make it through a day. And I'm not sure I want to presume on Walmart's generosity even more with my constant phone returning. :D

I'll give it more thought....

you should be fine. If indeed you are a light to moderate user you should have no issue making it through the day. I usually do about 30-40 texts a day with 30-40 minutes of internet with a few phone calls mixed in and it's usually around 65% when I go to bed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones