• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So most of you are NOT using a pattern lock or other security on your phone?

I agree that the screen lock feature is useful. To those who claim they have nothing of value on their phones, I would suggest that at best, a friend or family member could check out your SMS logs or make embarrassing messages on your behalf. Worst case, someone could download MP3s or other items from the Amazon app(s) on your dime, harass your female contacts on FB, or sign you up for junk mail and scams from the browser. Just because you don't work for a large corporation and manage your stock portfolio from your handset doesn't mean your phone should be unsecured.

I thought the "finger trails" would be a problem too until I gave the phone to a tech-savvy friend, and he was unable to figure out the swipe pattern based on my smudges.

AutoLock: works with 2.0.1 for $.99 -- a deal to be able to have security enabled without having to re-enter every time the screen cuts off! Why do we have no problem paying $1 for a game, but balk at the same $1 spent on a little piece of mind?

WaveSecure: thanks for the tip in this thread. I installed it this morning and it works pretty well*, but don't be like me and try the "lock & alarm" feature while the rest of your family is still in bed. LOL!

*per a previous post, it does seem like the usefulness of this app is limited since the memory card could easily be removed and accessed from the thief's computer. The beta seems to only backup phone numbers and SMS logs on Android, and even then only manually. That might mean a compromise of other valuable info if the phone is stolen and a remote wipe is performed. I would also prefer that a locked phone only show the lock screen rather than the home screen when the home button is pressed.

Upvote 0
Hey folks,
Thanks for trying out WaveSecure and glad most of you liked it. We've just released WaveSecure v3.0.0.41 and it's is now available from Android Market. Remember to update for the bug fixes.

Change log for v3.0.0.41:-
- Full support for Samsung Moment
- Fixed: notification shows up on every restart
- Minor bug fixes related to lock

For the latest on WaveSecure, join us on our Facebook page.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure

Upvote 0
i have used the pattern lock since day one as well.

i got annoyed with unlocking it all the time while i was using it till if found a lil app called ScreenModeWidget.

It changes between 3 settings of: screen on always no lock, screen timeout normal with lock, and screen timeout normal with no lock.....

It has a funky naming system in the app itself but i find it useful for my problem with the lock screen.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the pattern screenlock, but do NOT like the "Emergency" button on the bottom of the locked screen. It is a sure fire way to accidentally call 911, which in the end could be a big waste on both ends. It might not help for the fact that I am a 911 telecommunicator. :)

Anyone know of a way to remove that 911 button, or a better screen lock without one?

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the pattern screenlock, but do NOT like the "Emergency" button on the bottom of the locked screen. It is a sure fire way to accidentally call 911, which in the end could be a big waste on both ends. It might not help for the fact that I am a 911 telecommunicator. :)

Anyone know of a way to remove that 911 button, or a better screen lock without one?

Hitting that button does NOT call 911. It simply brings up a keypad that allows you to make an emergency call if you need to. There'd be no accidental emergency calling.

Upvote 0

the emergency button does not call 911. it just brings up the dial pad in case an emergency call needs to be made. and you can't just dial any number. there are restrictions. i don't know them, but i'm assuming it's only 911 and whatever emergency contacts you have assigned (i don't even know if that's an option, just assuming...)

-Randy

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
DO NOT ENABLE THIS FEATURE YET

There is a known bug that if you fail too many times, it will ask for your google account credentials, and they WILL NOT WORK. You will have to do a factory reset on your phone. (I did not forget my dot pattern, but another individual attempted to get into my phones too many times.)

Issue 4784 - android - Google credentials don't unlock phone after failing too many pattern attempts - Project Hosting on Google Code

been using since day one with no problems. once it didn't recognize my pattern after 5 times...all it did was make me wait 30 secs to try again.

Upvote 0
@square -- correct, but if you go through this sequence enough times (5 tries, 30 second wait, repeat.) it will eventually lock and require your google username/password (and not accept it). (my child did this, otherwise, I never probably would have had this problem)

Cheers

From what I've read this issue doesn't affect all phones, and is rarely going to be encountered. Not a good enough reason to leave your phone unlocked, IMHO. Better to keep better track of what my kids are doing... ;)

Upvote 0
Nope.

Have never lost a phone in my life. Always have it in my pocket or directly in front of me. I might check out WaveSecure. Of course, any thief worth his salt would have pulled the memory card and done a full hard reset within a couple minutes of stealing your phone, which renders any sort of remote software backup useless. But, then again, a lot of criminals aren't very bright, which is why they're in the crime business to begin with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones