1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General so, my battery is going tits up. What now?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by A.Nonymous, Aug 19, 2012.

1. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I have an I/O edition Tab and my battery is dieing. It's getting to the point where it no longer holds a charge. I use my tab as a comic book reader mainly in the evening. Used to be it would last 2-3 days with only a couple of hours of use in the evening. Now, I have to charge it on a daily basis. I can grab it in the evening at 100%. It's down to 50% by bed time and when I wake up in the morning it's in the 20-30% range. If I don't charge it, it's dead by the time I get home. I haven't installed any apps at all on it lately so I know it's not an app that's draining it. I fear the battery is simply at the end of it's life span.

Any ideas what to do? Is it feasible at all to replace this battery? Or should I start looking for another tablet?

Advertisement

2. bjtcars

bjtcars Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Mass.
    I would put your money towards a new tablet. I am only guessing but I think a battery replacement would cost $100.00 or more by the time its all said and done. For $200.00 you can get a Nexus 7 if you don't mind the smaller screen. I have both and love the N7.

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    I own an N7 myself which I love. I am an admitted tablet whore. The screen on the 10.1 is far, far better than the screen on the N7. But I don't mind since the N7 is just a secondary device for me. For reading comic books, you can't beat a 10" screen and I love the colors and the way things look on the 10.1.

You're saying it is possible to replace the battery with a new one?

4. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    I don't know where to get a replacement, but this basically shows how to get in there:

Cracking Open the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | TechRepublic

If you can get the battery from Samsung, and you have the tools for the job, I don't see why you can't replace it yourself. If you don't have the tools, then I guess you'll need a handy friend or send it in for replacement.

5. artbytes

artbytes Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2011
    I used to have an iPhone and the battery died in it. Rather than spend $80 and wait 2 weeks for Apple to replace it, I found a place online that sold the batteries for $18. The battery came with a little tool kit and they had a really nice video on how to make the change. It worked out really well. I wonder if they would have something like that for our Tabs.

This is the place: http://http://www.iphonebatteryrepair.com

Unfortunately, they only do iPhone batteries. Let's hope they have a sibling store.

PS - You might check on eBay for batteries. We've found replacement screens there for Androids.