• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So now HTC has 1.2 Ghz Dual Core Processors? Why'd they skimp on our TB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be completely wrong, but if history repeats itself, the TB will not be getting 3.0 officially. HTC has never updated a version of sense after the phone was already released. That doesn't mean it won't be ported by one of the awesome developers, though :D

The only thing I really want out of it is that new video gallery

Didn't the Eris get a new version of Sense after it was released?

Upvote 0
the torch was release on August 12th. exactly 8 months to the day. the new torch wont be here til about 1 year after.

VZW did the same with the Incredible. it was HTC flagship for about 1 year and now a new one, same as evo too on sprint. until there is a new HTC device on VZW the TB is still the flagship for VZW and it doesnt matter if HTC released a new phone on every other company until then

The new Torch will be announced at Blackberry world the First week of May. Could start seeing it on at&t's shelves very soon after that. The current Torch is being sold for $50 for a reason, to bleed the inventory dry and make room for the new model. Honestly that's an ok time frame. However RIM is also announcing the Bold Touch, Curve Touch, and the BB Touch...bout time RIM.

Upvote 0
i agree wit u 100 percent sean76 as bad as i wanted the Tb i didnt want to be jealous of a phone far superior. i wanted to b completely satisfied with the one i had..so i held out on the Tb. i kinda blame verizon more then htc though..i said this b4 verizon seems more interested in motorola phones then htc...like when i bought the incredible...sprint came out with the evo right after..thunderbolt JUST came out now the evo 3d and sensation are coming on other carriers...verizon is going to hype the MOTOROLA bionic as their flagship phone and we prolly wont c a htc dual core till q3..but by then other carriers will have superiors one...VERIZON WILL NEVER OWN THE BEST HTC PHONE!! and i hate that..and now we got the iphone which is going to put htc even further down their list!!! if it wasnt for their service and the new lte i woulda been gone!!! because we certainly dont have the best phones in my opinion..

Yes the Bionic commercials will be insane...However, I have been seeing a lot of TB commercials lately.

Upvote 0
As far as Sprint & T-mobile getting an HTC dual core first, they have (along with AT&T) always gotten newer tech before Verizon. T-mobile getting it makes sense since gsm carriers usually get new tech first. But the Sensation is their first 4.3" Android phone (by any manufacturer), so they are behind in other arenas.

With Sprint I wondered when the Evo came out if they had a deal with HTC that gives them exclusivity on newer tech (large screen, dual core, etc.). When I heard about the Evo 3D, that made it seem more credible. I imagine Sprint is shelling out a bit of money to have that exclusivity. They need it because they are currently the third largest carrier (and may be stuck there if the ATT/T-mobile merger goes through).

I guess the point is Verizon is usually behind on the tech curve. Now they are the first to get LTE, but their devices are still about 3-6 months behind the other carriers. But, given the choice I'd rather have older tech that works 98% of the time rather than newer tech that works 85% of the time.

P.S. I like the Sensation, but I'm not loving the Evo 3D. Feature wise it's great, but in the looks department, I'd say butt ugly. The back reminds me of the old ViewMaster I had as a kid. That's just my opinion, a personal preference I guess.

Upvote 0
As far as Sprint & T-mobile getting an HTC dual core first, they have (along with AT&T) always gotten newer tech before Verizon. T-mobile getting it makes sense since gsm carriers usually get new tech first. But the Sensation is their first 4.3" Android phone (by any manufacturer), so they are behind in other arenas.

With Sprint I wondered when the Evo came out if they had a deal with HTC that gives them exclusivity on newer tech (large screen, dual core, etc.). When I heard about the Evo 3D, that made it seem more credible. I imagine Sprint is shelling out a bit of money to have that exclusivity. They need it because they are currently the third largest carrier (and may be stuck there if the ATT/T-mobile merger goes through).

I guess the point is Verizon is usually behind on the tech curve. Now they are the first to get LTE, but their devices are still about 3-6 months behind the other carriers. But, given the choice I'd rather have older tech that works 98% of the time rather than newer tech that works 85% of the time.

P.S. I like the Sensation, but I'm not loving the Evo 3D. Feature wise it's great, but in the looks department, I'd say butt ugly. The back reminds me of the old ViewMaster I had as a kid. That's just my opinion, a personal preference I guess.

I 100% agree on the whole not liking the EVO 3D look...lmaooooo the back really does look like an old View Master. As for the sensation, wow...I'm really liking it! It looks like the original Nexus One, just more modern. Ohh well, like u said, here at VZW were still I lil bit behind in the hardware dept...but we are rocking the most powerful LTE 4G available at the moment...guess that comes with a price..

Upvote 0
I would rather have LTE than dual core but that's just me

THAT seems to be a key point for perspective on the TB. If you have 4G in your area- the TB would rock- even if a dual looms on the horizon. If you do not have 4G, nor any chance of having it for at least a year (probably longer), the 4G is not a factor and the TB comes across for some as an "old tech" device as a result (my perspective too).

I hope to see a refresh of the TB that has:

1. Snap dual core (better battery life than TB's 8655 and even faster than the Tegra 2)
2. 16gb internal (or at least the full 8gb that actually works, rather than half on the current TB)
3. Same sweet display

Ironic though that Tmo used to be the weakest device lin-up and now VZW seems to have taken that position. As long as folks are willing to pay premium prices for older tech chipsets, VZW will happily sell them and make little effort of higher end devices (why would they)?

To some folks without 4G in their area, the TB is older tech.

Upvote 0
hahahaha... Android right for me? The TB just came out 3 weeks ago...does Apple announce a newer better device every few weeks...NO they don't! Does Motorola even do it with Android, no they really don't. What I'm saying is if they had the know how, they could have added in more advanced 2011ish type specs in order to really play hard ball with the rest of the bunch.

If HTC had the know how?!?! I'm willing to bet HTC stockholders are quite happy with the way HTC is releasing phones. Infact, if HTC listened to you, then they might not exist in the fashion they do today. It's all about business. Now you have people only getting 1 year contracts and guess what? They're going to get the newest phone after 10 months. Some may buy HTC and some will not. Whether you like it or not, not having the dual-core in the Thunderbolt actually made HTC more money in the long run. You're not getting the big picture.

Upvote 0
Not sure Apple is a good comparison, since the A4 is a better and faster chipset than the 8655 and the dual core A5 will almost certainly release before VZW has a Snap dual device.

iPhone will probably be the most powerful device, due to VZW dragging their feet with Android devices.

Almost like VZW are doing this on purpose and favoring Apple.

Upvote 0
The development time to get the phone to work without serious issue on the current processor was in full swing by the time another processor (like the one in the 3D and the new 1.2 GHZ) was available to them. Instead of scrapping what they've done already, they just pushed forward. There are going to be newer and greater phones every 1-3 months...sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.

Plus, how much of a difference would that processor do for you? Would it really be so much better that HTC should have stopped production on the TB until these new processors were in their hands to play with?

Upvote 0
Oh they have been talking dual core processors for smart phones for a year already its nothing new really. This is why I went with a one year contract. Next year the Bolt goes straight to the dumpster for the next newest thing! :D

I got a one year contract too. But the sad part is that this is the last time we are going to be able to do a one year on Verizon. The next phone we pick will have to last us for two years.

Upvote 0
I don't really think he does. His complaint is based on a silly sense of entitlement: he feels that he is owed some arbitrary period of exclusivity on owning the best/fastest/biggest/whatever android phone.

Why should HTC hold off on supplying dual core phones? Because the OP wants bragging rights for longer?

The Thunderbolt isn't an obsolete device by any means. His assertion that it's now a cabbage patch doll is absolutely ridiculous. It's not like the Sensation will magically make the Thunderbolt stop working. We'll get Sense 3.0 too, and the video store, and whatever else.

If we don't get those features even though our TBs are more than capable of running them, *then* OP can complain about planned obsolescence. Until then, though, it just smacks of silly entitled whining from a dude who either doesn't understand technology or doesn't understand the market forces that drive its development.

+1. i completely agree with this.

it's like going to the store and buying a loaf of bread, only to return a few days later and see there's a new loaf of bread with a later expiration date than the one you purchased. well, what did you expect? they were going to stop making bread until yours expired?

...and then the op goes on to brag about how he can afford a new phone every week anyway. if money isn't an object then why get riled up when you can buy the next hot new thing anyway?

the op asked the question why did htc skimp on the TB? it was answered very succinctly throughout this thread. they didn't skimp on the TB, vzw skimped on having their network ready to deploy the TB. all the while, HTC kept their wheels turning on their internal roadmap and pushing out new phones.

i'm not convinced the op really 'gets it' or understands how new technology is developed and released. maybe now they do...

Upvote 0
+1. i completely agree with this.

it's like going to the store and buying a loaf of bread, only to return a few days later and see there's a new loaf of bread with a later expiration date than the one you purchased. well, what did you expect? they were going to stop making bread until yours expired?

...and then the op goes on to brag about how he can afford a new phone every week anyway. if money isn't an object then why get riled up when you can buy the next hot new thing anyway?

the op asked the question why did htc skimp on the TB? it was answered very succinctly throughout this thread. they didn't skimp on the TB, vzw skimped on having their network ready to deploy the TB. all the while, HTC kept their wheels turning on their internal roadmap and pushing out new phones.

i'm not convinced the op really 'gets it' or understands how new technology is developed and released. maybe now they do...

Not seeing this at all from the OP. Seems the summary of points is VZW are lagging with phone options compared to most of the competition. If you do not have 4G, the TB is an average device with no real improvement over products a cycle ago and even less space than the Incredible. Well, there IS data/voice at same time, but folks should feel this is an honor to have?

Seems VZW is taking advantage of consumers by pumping out mid-line products at premium prices and using 4G and their far better data coverage as leverage..... I would be doing the same thing if I were them, so I can not be two-faced about it.

Why push the premium stuff for less margin, when they can ship a 4G radio with a cheaper chipset and crippled 8gb internal? ;)

Upvote 0
Not seeing this at all from the OP. Seems the summary of points is VZW are lagging with phone options compared to most of the competition. If you do not have 4G, the TB is an average device with no real improvement over products a cycle ago and even less space than the Incredible. Well, there IS data/voice at same time, but folks should feel this is an honor to have?

Seems VZW is taking advantage of consumers by pumping out mid-line products at premium prices and using 4G and their far better data coverage as leverage..... I would be doing the same thing if I were them, so I can not be two-faced about it.

Why push the premium stuff for less margin, when they can ship a 4G radio with a cheaper chipset and crippled 8gb internal? ;)
Not the summary of points I got from the op. Are we reading the same posts? Lol.

Explain to me how VZW is taking advantage of the consumer? Are they hypnotizing us and removing our free will? People didn't have to buy the TB. And if people are making a big deal about dual core it's also very well known before the TB went on sale that the dual core bionic was also on the way. They could have chosen to wait for that right?

Upvote 0
I said how VZW is leveraging their data coverage. People will be more apt to stick with the mid range offerings at premium prices, rather than change carriers and get weaker coverage. Brilliant strategy, but essentially taking advantage of their customers- using their great coverage as leverage.

Considering all the great devices little Tmo has coming or already out, do you not think VZW would have them if they want? Point is, VZW does not need them, so they are mainly sticking with mid range devices, but at premium prices.

Still, no way VZW does not feel compelled to compete at some point, but I think VZW is becoming too Apple focused. Maybe that is the main problem.....

Upvote 0
If HTC had the know how?!?! I'm willing to bet HTC stockholders are quite happy with the way HTC is releasing phones. Infact, if HTC listened to you, then they might not exist in the fashion they do today. It's all about business. Now you have people only getting 1 year contracts and guess what? They're going to get the newest phone after 10 months. Some may buy HTC and some will not. Whether you like it or not, not having the dual-core in the Thunderbolt actually made HTC more money in the long run. You're not getting the big picture.

I get the BIG picture buddy...And 1 year agreements are OVER IN VZW Land! Maybe you missed the memo.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones