• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help So so disappointed

Well its a sad day for me.

I posted recently about an sms problem showing the wrong names, and then, dispite all the latest versions and configurations tried, i still cannot get Kies to do anything with my phone. Just says that it is connecting the whole time.

I find it completely unacceptable how buggy this phone and the related pc software is. It could be so good but falls so short.

I phoned o2 today to try and return it but because i have had it over 28 days they will not do it. they said they could send it to Samsung for a repair but i said that it isnt just my phone, but everyones Galaxy S!!!!

Now considering selling it on ebay just to get something different.

I could go back to iphone which just works although its restricted, but dont really want to. I used my brother in Laws Nokia E72 which felt out of date but worked extremely well.

I need some suggestions, i havent been this disappointed with Tech for a long time....

Thanks

BFM:mad:

I dont have this problem, and from the looks of it, its not a wide spread issue with Galaxy S. Perhaps there is something wrong with the way your contacts are setup :thinking: . Do you sync your contact lists with a social networking site (i.e facebook) ?? If so, remove all those and have only the phone contacts. Maybe there are duplicates or erroneous data in some of those contacts ?? Just an idea though...

Upvote 0
What the hell is MTP mode ? Just asking, cause I just got my SGS last night and previously I've read many comments about how bad Kies is. I asked the Samsung tech from the Samsung store last night about using it and he said something about maybe needing SP3 (Service pack 3) installed in Windows XP. I currently have SP2.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
So far I LOVE MY SGS !
One more question,....is there a way to easily scroll the screen WITHOUT activating whatever my finger just very briefly touches? I keep activating 'things' without wanting to....just because I'm trying to scroll and I momentarily touch on something.
I just want to scroll....not open things.

Thx.

Upvote 0
What the hell is MTP mode ? Just asking, cause I just got my SGS last night and previously I've read many comments about how bad Kies is. I asked the Samsung tech from the Samsung store last night about using it and he said something about maybe needing SP3 (Service pack 3) installed in Windows XP. I currently have SP2.
Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
MTP is a special protocol for transferring media files between devices. I dont think you need that to use Kies, because IIRC the first few days I kept getting MTP driver installation failures but Kies connected. i only used it to fix some errors in my contacts, for copying files I used Mass storage mode. Maybe media features of Kies need MTP driver, but didn't try that.
One more question,....is there a way to easily scroll the screen WITHOUT activating whatever my finger just very briefly touches? I keep activating 'things' without wanting to....just because I'm trying to scroll and I momentarily touch on something.
I just want to scroll....not open things.

Thx.
When scrolling drag your finger across the screen a bit, seems to me like you are lifting your finger too soon. Capacitive screens are very responsive, if you touch even for a brief moment that will register as a click. Are you coming from a resistive touch screen phone ??

Reactions: LateNiteMike
Upvote 0
No problems here either. Running XP and Kies connects fine. However I did not use Kies for my contacts. I exported my contacts from my old blackberry to Outlook. I then exported out of Outlook as a flat file (csv). I then uploaded this to my Google Hotmail account. Whole process took 10 minutes and my contacts are perfect.

I agree- reset the phone and try again. I suspect there's an issue with how the contacts are loaded. With Kies- completely uninstall it and also make sure the folder has gone from Program files. Then reboot and either download Kies from the samsung site or do what I did- installed from CD- fired up Kies without the phone connected and updated Kies. Then plugged the phone in and away it went

I love my Galaxy s- JG8, rooted and rock solid-and my GPS seems fine

Upvote 0
MTP is a special protocol for transferring media files between devices. I dont think you need that to use Kies, because IIRC the first few days I kept getting MTP driver installation failures but Kies connected. i only used it to fix some errors in my contacts, for copying files I used Mass storage mode. Maybe media features of Kies need MTP driver, but didn't try that.

When scrolling drag your finger across the screen a bit, seems to me like you are lifting your finger too soon. Capacitive screens are very responsive, if you touch even for a brief moment that will register as a click. Are you coming from a resistive touch screen phone ??

I sent you a thanks already PhoenixFX.
I'm not going to mess with Kies, it has caused far too many problems for far too many people to date, I don't want to be another one of it's victims. I've heard one reason it causes crashes or refuses to function is that it can't handle files with filenames of 16 characters or greater. It seems as if Samsung is aware of the problem. Also, perhaps FroYo will resolve it.
I'm wondering why we couldn't just use the external micro SD card in a USB card reader and transfer files to and from our PC. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

I haven't used a touchscreen as sensitive as the one on my SGS. I tried your method and it seems to work much better. I just keep my finger in contact with the screen as I scroll and that seems to work pretty well. I do think there should be some sort of scrolling 'bar' on the screen (but that would take up screen space) or perhaps a rocker switch or something. I've never (owned) a device with or used a trackball but that seems to be a good option for scrolling.
Thanks again for the help ! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones