• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So the Verizon salesman told me to wait for the iPhone...

Like i said in another thread:

Can the iphone download torrents in the background while listening to last.fm and browsing the web, and still tell me turn by turn directions?

I think not, why would i want one now?!?!

The one coming out next month will, and you can talk to someone at the same time (only GSM phones have that feature)

Upvote 0
I was at the Verizon store yesterday checking out the Droid Incredible for the first time. I'm a current Curve 8330 user and my NE2 upgrade isn't until July, but I wanted to at least get an early look at the DI because it will likely be my next phone. I was super impressed with the responsiveness and overall features of the phone. Web browsing was a pure pleasure on it. It blows my Curve out of the water in many impressive ways. I've never owned a touchscreen phone before, so texting/typing on it will take a little time to get comfortable with. The only thing I may miss from my Curve is the physical keyboard which is extremely accurate and a joy to use.

After playing with the phone for a bit, a sales guy comes up to me and I explain that I'm just browsing because I won't be upgrading my phone for a few months. He said I should wait for the Moto Droid 2 and the new Droid phone coming out from LG (can't recall the name of it) to compare to the Incredible even though he loved the Incredible (he's a current Moto Droid owner). He also said that if I could hold out a little longer than July, that I should wait for the new iPhone to hit Verizon. I told him that I thought that was all just speculation/rumor at this point. He said no, and that it's been confirmed that the iPhone will be selling in Verizon stores before the end of this year. I kind of just chuckled but he gave me a serious look and said the same thing again. I still have my doubts but I thought I'd pass the info along. Maybe others have been hearing the same thing.

Seriously? More than half of the sales reps didn't even know what the Incredible was until it was launched and this guy says he knows for certainty that the iPhone will be coming to Verizon?? I'm calling BS.

Upvote 0
It's already been said, but the sales reps will know when any device is coming, the day it arrives in their stores. The only time they think they know about future devices is when they read it somewhere, but they never get official pre-release information from corporate until they get their marketing materials. And that typically doesn't happen until the week prior to or the week of (in-store) release.

Prime example: While waiting for the Touch Pro2, I went a Verizon store (knowing they wouldn't know), and asked. The guy I talked to pulled up Engadget to find more information. I bought the Touch Pro2 on telesales release day with Saturday shipping. Went into the Verizon store the following Monday for a vehicle charger (assuming they would have them from the TP1), same guy had no clue it had been released, and asked if he could see it.

Upvote 0
It's already been said, but the sales reps will know when any device is coming, the day it arrives in their stores. The only time they think they know about future devices is when they read it somewhere, but they never get official pre-release information from corporate until they get their marketing materials. And that typically doesn't happen until the week prior to or the week of (in-store) release.

Prime example: While waiting for the Touch Pro2, I went a Verizon store (knowing they wouldn't know), and asked. The guy I talked to pulled up Engadget to find more information. I bought the Touch Pro2 on telesales release day with Saturday shipping. Went into the Verizon store the following Monday for a vehicle charger (assuming they would have them from the TP1), same guy had no clue it had been released, and asked if he could see it.

Yep. Most reps are clueless and I run circles around them. All carriers.

Upvote 0
No one is stalking for apple. I own a moto droid and a blackberry. I just choose not to be a cell phone fanboy and complain about the iphone all day, like in this thread. :rolleyes:

I have no issues with the iPhone, hell it is the first real smart phone. But when it comes to a smart phone I want something that I can change and make my own, my mom has an iPhone. The iPhone is a smart phone for the everyday user, now my rooted and overclocked Droid is another story. Another reason I would never go with Apple is Flash, Apple has said they will never have Flash on their phone.

Android based phones are here to stay and gaining market share on the iPhone.

Upvote 0
I have no issues with the iPhone, hell it is the first real smart phone. But when it comes to a smart phone I want something that I can change and make my own, my mom has an iPhone. The iPhone is a smart phone for the everyday user, now my rooted and overclocked Droid is another story. Another reason I would never go with Apple is Flash, Apple has said they will never have Flash on their phone.

Android based phones are here to stay and gaining market share on the iPhone.

iPhone was not the first smartphone.

Hell, iPhone is not even a smartphone in my book. More of a feature phone.

Upvote 0
Point taken, but why would employees tell any potential customer to wait for anything? Isn't their job to sell phones and plans and accessories as often/quickly as they can? I'd like to think that Verizon employees would be discouraged to give out information that is purely a rumor. I will wait until July when it's my time to upgrade, and then I'll check out what's available at that time. I'm still heavily leaning towards an Android device and 99% sure I'll be leaving my Crackberry behind thanks to all the good reviews and information I've gotten from this site.

You're right, their job is to sell phones and plans. And it was probably pretty clear to the Verizon rep you were going to wait for your upgrade to kick in, which meant the rep was just wasting their time on you. Unfortunately the way pretty much all retail stores are run, a potential sale in July is worthless.

Upvote 0
Define "real smart phone".

By no means am I an iPhone lover, all I mean is the level we are at. Lets face it when a new phone come out it's compared to what?...I hate to say it but the iPhone the Droid was the Nexus One was the Inc. was. I also know that WinMo/Symbian/PalmOS were out before the iPhone but the real game changer in phones was the iPhone...IMHO. RIM is another "Smart" phone that I have owned several but no longer think of as a "Smart" phone....just my opinion....and I'm sure we all know what they say about opinions.

Ok I done with this, I own a Droid and would never buy or own an iPhone but I'm not saying it's not a nice phone for the right person.

Upvote 0
By no means am I an iPhone lover, all I mean is the level we are at. Lets face it when a new phone come out it's compared to what?...I hate to say it but the iPhone the Droid was the Nexus One was the Inc. was. I also know that WinMo/Symbian/PalmOS were out before the iPhone but the real game changer in phones was the iPhone...IMHO. RIM is another "Smart" phone that I have owned several but no longer think of as a "Smart" phone....just my opinion....and I'm sure we all know what they say about opinions.

Ok I done with this, I own a Droid and would never buy or own an iPhone but I'm not saying it's not a nice phone for the right person.
So, when something else comes out that is a "game changer", it will become the "first real smart phone"?

Upvote 0
So, when something else comes out that is a "game changer", it will become the "first real smart phone"?

For the next generstion of smart phone users, maybe? Who knows what might hit the market in a few years and make all our current phones look like a Nokia 8290.

Like I said, I have had many blackberries (RIM) and a few Palm Treo's when they first came out and again "JUST MY OPINION" I no longer think of as "Smart" phones.

It's like comparing an Atari 2600 to a Playstation 3 (which I own both), Atari did it's job (in it's era) but that era is over.

Again, I am done defending my opinion. That's the great thing about this country I'm allowed to have mine and you can have yours. Have a great day everyone :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones