• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So the Verizon salesman told me to wait for the iPhone...

For the next generstion of smart phone users, maybe? Who knows what might hit the market in a few years and make all our current phones look like a Nokia 8290.

Like I said, I have had many blackberries (RIM) and a few Palm Treo's when they first came out and again "JUST MY OPINION" I no longer think of as "Smart" phones.

It's like comparing an Atari 2600 to a Playstation 3 (which I own both), Atari did it's job (in it's era) but that era is over.

Again, I am done defending my opinion. That's the great thing about this country I'm allowed to have mine and you can have yours. Have a great day everyone :)
Black berries are dumb and iphones are smart? Wow dude. So being pretty but less functional is"smart" oh well get your iphone and be happy

Upvote 0
Sure, but no matter how good the PS3 is, it will never be the first TV game console. The first of something only happens once. ;)

Agreed, I am a little confused with what he is trying to say. Yes the Iphone changed the way how some things are done, but that doesn't make it the first smart phone. Just because it is better than the first smart phone, does that make it now the first?

Lets say I was the first person to play basketball, now they're are people that are way better at it than me, does that make them the first? No

Upvote 0
Agreed, I am a little confused with what he is trying to say. Yes the Iphone changed the way how some things are done, but that doesn't make it the first smart phone. Just because it is better than the first smart phone, does that make it now the first?

Lets say I was the first person to play basketball, now they're are people that are way better at it than me, does that make them the first? No

Well by his logic they don't even have to be better than you, just prettier.

Upvote 0
There ya go! Messaging is still the best, and the desktop manager makes switching devices a snap. IPhone can't even update latitude on the fly, guess what? Clunky old BB can! There is more but its obvious some folks believe only what they see in commercials.

Again, don't own an iPhone or plan to.

I'll give you that, the Blackberry is very good with corporate email.

And again "My Opinion" all in all a BlackBerry against my Moto Droid does not seems so "Smart".

I guess my whole thing here is when the iPhone came out it kind of redefined the meaning of "Smart" phone....Again My Opinion....

Upvote 0
It did, by giving people something insanely easy to use so they would pay for data when otherwise never would have. I'll give them that, definitely a home run, but as far as 'smart' it really isn't. BB is also a pretty simple OS to learn, and compared to your Droid its ugly and Clunky but live with one for a while and you realize it gets stuff done. If you text email and talk a BB is perfect, and does it better than iPhone, android etc. If you want to play games, music etc, it will leave you wanting. They all have their place, but the iPhone is probably the dumbest of the smartphones, it does work well at what it does but I would take a BB for work anyday, and an android for play. If I had to use only one I guess I would have to make a hard decision.

Upvote 0
Again, don't own an iPhone or plan to.

And again "My Opinion" all in all a BlackBerry against my Moto Droid does not seems so "Smart".

I guess my whole thing here is when the iPhone came out it kind of redefined the meaning of "Smart" phone....Again My Opinion....

Meh not so much though, WinMo's office capabilities have yet to be rivaled, I mean, the windows integration is pretty darn good, although the UI is dated, and that's what most people objected to. It was too "complicated" for them I suppose.

Upvote 0
I want to be clear here that I'm in NO way a fan of the iPhone but to answer your question. It appealed to the masses. A "smart" phone was no longer just something a business person would use.

The iPhone made the normal Joe be able to do more than talk and text.
I want to be clear here that I don't care about your feelings about the iPhone. I'm just puzzled about your assertion that the iPhone was the first "real" smart phone. I find that assertion ludicrous.

Appealing to the masses does not make something smart. The pet rock appealed to the masses.

To sum up, it appears that you don't know how to define a smart phone, so your assertion that the iPhone was the first real smart phone has no validity.

Upvote 0
I want to be clear here that I don't care about your feelings about the iPhone. I'm just puzzled about your assertion that the iPhone was the first "real" smart phone. I find that assertion ludicrous.

Appealing to the masses does not make something smart. The pet rock appealed to the masses.

To sum up, it appears that you don't know how to define a smart phone, so your assertion that the iPhone was the first real smart phone has no validity.

Well I guess since you keep asking a different question every time I answer one to sum it up it looks your not sure what you're asking. In addition I never said that appealing to the masses made something "smart". But thanks and have a great day.

Upvote 0
Well I guess since you keep asking a different question every time I answer one to sum it up it looks your not sure what you're asking. But thanks and have a great day.
Really? I keep trying to get you to tell us what you consider a smart phone to be. So far, the best answer is that the masses bought it. :rolleyes:

I apologize for using different words each time in an attempt to help you understand the question. It appears that you never will.

Upvote 0
Really? I keep trying to get you to tell us what you consider a smart phone to be. So far, the best answer is that the masses bought it. :rolleyes:

I apologize for using different words each time in an attempt to help you understand the question. It appears that you never will.

You have never once asked me what I consider a smart phone to be :rolleyes:

Please point out where you asked me what I consider a smart phone.

Upvote 0
You have never once asked me what I consider a smart phone to be :rolleyes:

Please point out where you asked me what I consider a smart phone.
My first post in this thread:
Define "real smart phone".
Were you confused by the word "real"? I only used it because it was your terminology. I was trying to use words that you, presumably, would understand.

Upvote 0
My first post in this thread:

Were you confused by the word "real"? I only used it because it was your terminology. I was trying to use words that you, presumably, would understand.

Pretty sure I answered that here, but I guess you missed that:

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot

By no means am I an iPhone lover, all I mean is the level we are at. Lets face it when a new phone come out it's compared to what?...I hate to say it but the iPhone, the Droid was the Nexus One was the Inc. was. I also know that WinMo/Symbian/PalmOS were out before the iPhone but the real game changer in phones was the iPhone...IMHO. RIM is another "Smart" phone that I have owned several but no longer think of as a "Smart" phone....just my opinion....and I'm sure we all know what they say about opinions.

Ok I done with this, I own a Droid and would never buy or own an iPhone but I'm not saying it's not a nice phone for the right person.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure I answered that here, but I guess you missed that:

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot

By no means am I an iPhone lover, all I mean is the level we are at. Lets face it when a new phone come out it's compared to what?...I hate to say it but the iPhone, the Droid was the Nexus One was the Inc. was. I also know that WinMo/Symbian/PalmOS were out before the iPhone but the real game changer in phones was the iPhone...IMHO. RIM is another "Smart" phone that I have owned several but no longer think of as a "Smart" phone....just my opinion....and I'm sure we all know what they say about opinions.

Ok I done with this, I own a Droid and would never buy or own an iPhone but I'm not saying it's not a nice phone for the right person.
No, I saw that, but it is nonsense in terms of defining "smart phone". What level are we at? How does that "level" translate into a definition of "smart phone"?

Upvote 0
FWIW, even if it came out in September I'd still wait a bit. Gen 1 products usually have bugs and kinks to work out - let somebody else pay monthly to QA the device. I prefer to catch devices mid-way thru the newness. The flaws are usually fixed, and the new version is far enough away to make sense.

Case in point, I just picked up a Moto Droid on a 1 year contract. By the time the Droid 2 (or Verizon iPhone) hits and the bugs get addressed, I'll be out of contract and ready to pounce !!!

Upvote 0
And to be honest with you dude, I don’t really care what you think about my opinion. That’s the great part of this country I get to have mine and you get to have yours. It’s very clear you don’t understand my point of view and guess what I’m ok with that because I only try to impress one person a week and this is not your week, sorry.

I have answered every “Question” you have asked. Then you post something completely different. This is time I can never get back and I am done debating someone so closed minded especially over this topic. Enjoy

Let's see if this will quiet this down. The definition of a smartphone should be that it can accomplish in one device that would normally require two or more. That's where the term smartphone came into being. It allowed you to not have to carry a PDA or Palm device to get the things you need to get done accomplished. The iPhone was more entertainment oriented, bringing apps and music/video integration. IOWA was right in that it was more of a feature phone compared to what previous smartphones were used for. When they came out you weren't editing documents or getting push emails, the kind of things smartphones were used for up until that point.

If you want to get technical you could say there are now two types of smartphones. Business (BB, WinMo, Symbian, some Android) that allow you to handle business without a separate device (PDA, organizer). Then entertainment/social (some Android & Apple) that allows you to do what you need to do in everyday life like listen to music, watch videos, make reminder notes, & connect with friends, without a separate device (mp3/iPod, laptop).

That's how I would classify the current state of advanced devices. The iPhone was not the first smartphone, but it was the first phone to integrate entertainment and social connections with a phone and release it to the general public not just business users.

Reactions: bp328i
Upvote 0

Can you tell me how you got your Blackberry to push more than the top inbox folder on MS Exchange? Unless you meant something totally different by "corporate email".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones