1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General So, we are quickly approaching the Holiday return window...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by redraptor, Jan 7, 2012.

1. redraptor

redraptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    "Fish dude" at PetSmart, Best Buy Mobile Sales Ass
    Much too far from the waves
    Hey guys,

Well here I am sitting on a brand new Razr I bought right before Christmas. I was drawn to it for a few reasons. One, the camera kinda sucked me in with the 8 mega pickles and awesome sound quality. Second, the hardware is unmatched. I LOVE the feel of the device. The thinness is incredible and it feels solid as a rock. Third, expandable memory. Although I havnt used much more than about 20 of the 32 gigs (around 14 being music) I like the option to actually upgrade to more memory if I need too. And lastly, it comes in white, and Im a sucker for white phones,even if it is more storm trooper looking than Audi R8.

Now im a bit torn on what I should do. I have become VERY attached to the device, yet I still feel like Im missing out significantly with a few things. For one, the 8 mega pickle camera is average at best. I was expecting and hoping for more, but Im sorely disappointed and that is a BIG deal for me. The audio quality is amazing, but I have recently acquired a USB mic to help combat my audio woes, thus making the phone obsolete in that factor.

Next is hardware buttons. I am stoked for ICS and even more for the button less interface, so the touch buttons on the Razr already seem outdated and annoying.

And lastly the screen. I LOVE the screen on the Razr, especially when I switched from an Incredible 2. The colors pop amazingly and the over all fidelity is superb. But I want bigger and HD. I dont want something quite Galaxy Note sized, but 4.5+ would be ideal. And obviously HD plays a BIG part in that. After comparing the screens on the GN and Razr, Im still blown away by the GN even 3 weeks after I bought the damn phone!!

So my big question here, should I return the Razr and grab a Nexus? Return the Razr, go back to the Inc 2 and wait it out a month or two for something more "ice cream sandwich-y" but with beefier specs than the GN? or simply keep the Razr? Im leaning more toward going back to my Inc 2 and hoping for something a little closer to the SGSII but revolved around ICS. Essentially a Galaxy Nexus with a better camera and slightly improved processor.

Im not overly concerned about the 35 restocking fee, I just want to make sure Im in the absolute best for the next 2 years. I just feel like im sitting on the cusp of ICS and Gingerbread and going with a more Gingerbread centric device (Like the Razr) would be more of a mistake than a blessing. Perhaps Im simply putting too much thought into this :p

Advertisement

2. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Get the GNex and never look back, especially if you love the Razr.

3. jroc

jroc Android Expert
    None

Apr 10, 2010
    For me...its not so much the on screen buttons I like.... its the menu key in different apps, software for ICS I like. Some stuff I was looking for in Settings is in specific apps now, like call settings is on the Phone app. And I like the task switcher key. ICS is nice. Dont like some of the color choices. And I havent got into much of the developer settings.

For what I think about the two... I posted some stuff recently, probably a few threads down. If you are in a good to great reception area, or spend most of your time in one....I see no problem going with the G Nex.

For me....I have to have the RAZR as my daily driver. I also think the G Nex feels better in the hand. Whoever tries them both and says the RAZR is too wide, they might be thinking its too thin. Cuz it isnt too wide. They are practically the same width. The difference between the RAZR and Droid X1 is bigger than the difference between the G Nex and RAZR for width.

Cant really go wrong with either one. For me, I am more debating should I keep the G Nex rather than debating on keeping the RAZR. The G Nex surprised me in a few areas. Whichever one you pick there will be some trade offs you will have to deal with.

4. redraptor

redraptor Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 6, 2010
    "Fish dude" at PetSmart, Best Buy Mobile Sales Ass
    Much too far from the waves
    Hmmm I'm getting a lot of mixed responses. Its helping and not but its all appreciated. I have another question: if I return the razr and get the gnex, do I have another 14 day return policy? And can I go back to the razr if the gnex or whatever else doesn't resonate with me?

5. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky
    Simple points from my tiny mind:

1. Kernel/rom junky- get the Gnex
    2. Media junky (I am)- keep the Razr, since better storage options
    3. Call quality and reception is critical to you- keep the Razr
    4. If you like having an extended battery option and items 2 & 3 are less important- .....get the Rezound ;) No really, since I prefer the Rezound over the Gnex.
    5. If you need great touch response- keep the Razr, since the fix for the Gnex issues is not confirmed.
    6. If you have ICS now and do not want to wait a few months- get the Gnex
    7. This is a BIGGIE: There will probably always be a better device that makes your current device seem old kit within months, so two years IMO is too broad of scope.

Frankly, the Gnex, Razr and Rezound should hold up great for two years, but all will probably be trumped this summer. The one device that would probably bug me the most though to get rid of is the Gnex, since the storage for me is too limited. Juggling media would get lame and I dislike the cloud, since not always available and streaming drains battery a LOT worse than local media.

jroc likes this.
  6. Szadzik

Szadzik Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2010
    Male
    FAS Admin
    Do not care about what people say if you have the Razr already. If you like the phone, keep using it. If you do not, get something else. Very simple.

jroc likes this.
  7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009

You get one return within the time period. The time doesn't reset with the new phone. (At least that's what I've been told by Verizon Reps).

8. Fred Bassett

Fred Bassett Member
    None

Dec 19, 2011
    no you can't.. one return and thats it.

I'm keeping my razr. The GN is not as good.

9. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    I'm finding two featurs I kind of like on the razr that I don't see on other phones:

smart actions (I suspect there is something in the market for this) but I like it quite a bit - not so much for power saving; but just convenient stuff - like turning on wifi and switching from ringer to vibrate when i get to work and shutting of mail ringer when I go to sleep - extending sleep hours on weekend and stuff like that.
    -
    The other thing is able to group apps in the app list - they shoudl add this to native ICS (even if moto has a patent - they now own moto :) )
    -
    I do think the fine resolution of the rezound/gnexus is a bit better for reading small print and the colour shift on the razr (off angle) is a bit annoying.
    -
    There are a few other basic design changes I would make (add a gasket around the screen so it would be less likely to shatter; increase the thickness 2mm and add alarger batter; make the bezel less slick so you can prop the phone up at an angle and it would be less prone to slide - little stuff like that.
    -
    I have 100% no doubt that in 6 months there will be better phones and in 12 months I'll be ready to upgrade.

While I could care less abuot quad cores - the things that I expect include:
    a) Better battery life per mhw for both processor and lte
    b) Better batteries (more mhw per gram)
    c) larger batteries in phones
    d) higher resolution non-pentile oled
    e) better packaging (I prefer samsung packaging over moto - the phones feel better in the hand and have less bezel - but only if we can get moto quality reception)
    -
    So while I'm keeping the razr; I am in no way afraid to acknowledge it is far from perfect it was just the best trade off today (though the skylark was a very good contender).
    -
    I want to be fair the nexus has issues where it matters to me since I use my cellphone as my primary phone today. The nexus does getter better t-put on lte (not sure about wifi) but to be honest 3g is fast enough for me for basic web; and 4g is plenty fast for videos (I think my 3g speed is around 800Kb/s to 1.2Mb/s in boston with 4g 7Mb/s to 10Mb/s.

jroc likes this.
  10. BubbaNexus

BubbaNexus Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    yes.

as nice as the razr screen is, it doesn't old a candle to the GN's. i much prefer the soft key button on the GN too, because you get feedback that you've pressed them, and they rotate landscape.

also, the fact that you can surf full screen and utilize every inch of the GN's space makes browsing so much more pleasurable.

JMO