• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So what can now be used for Video calling?

Skype is on the way. They currently are stuck in an exclusivity agreement with Verizon. Some time this year is what I heard. They plan to offer it to all Android phones eventually. I have no clue the exact date when the exclusivity contract ends.

Fring is pretty good. I successfully video chatted with my wife's iPhone 3G. I don't get to see her on my screen cause she doens't have the front camera, but she can see me. The smoothness was decent.

Qik is the video chat app that comes with the Evo. They are currently being swamped with all the Evo users trying to video chat, and as a result, their servers are way overloaded. Once they get their infrastructure upgraded, they'd be worth trying. Qik allows you to stream video real time to their web site, so ppl all over can go there and watch. They currently don't support android-to-iphone video chat.

Upvote 0
]

Qik is the video chat app that comes with the Evo.
They are currently being swamped with all the Evo users trying to video chat, and as a result, their servers are way overloaded. Once they get their infrastructure upgraded, they'd be worth trying. Qik allows you to stream video real time to their web site, so ppl all over can go there and watch. They currently don't support android-to-iphone video chat.

Yes, but no Phone to PC chat.

Even the live streaming has a 5-10 second delay at optimal speed.:(

Upvote 0
Sorry, exclusivity on android devices, not full exclusivity.

Skype Mobile with video calling coming to all Androids this year – Android and Me

Skype will let you chat phone-to-pc

Yeah. No.

The only thing that Verizon had was exclusive access to the Skype client.

The Skype protocol is openly available to developers and is obtained by getting the Skype SDK.

Fring has been acting as a Skype client for quite some time.

It wasn't until the iP4 launched that suddenly Skype blocked Fring, and then 2 turnarounds in as many weeks on what their business and profit models would be - all the while hiding behind the claim that Fring was "damaging their image."

At no point did they - or Verizon - initiate any action whatsoever based on any violation of agreements.

It's been all about the Benjamins and the entire "Verizon exclusivity" has been a load of marketing hogwash.

Where's your official AIM client? Yahoo client? MSN client?

Most people use other clients to access the server protocols and everyone's fine with it so long as business models don't get violated.

Skype's last claim is that they've decided to not go after money for carrier time and just make money on Skype minutes. The original model that built their business, the one we used throughout the month of June on our Evos. What a concept.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/118517-fring-now-supports-skype-video-between-evo-iphone-4-a.html

If you want the references to Skype's business model stuff they're in here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/129967-skype-begins-get-clue.html

Maybe as long as we can't get a Skype client, it's a distinction without a difference to some - but - this whole Verizon exclusive thing is just Skype hiding behind Mom's skirts.

Their shortsightedness and bickering with a client maker has only served to screw with their own users and let's say my company is composed of few of them. In fact, I can safely say that there are at least a thousand or more buyers of Skype minutes that we've directly influenced and no telling how those networks branched out.

I'm looking forward to the Adobe Air possibilities.

I'm looking forward to any of these jerks getting a clue.

PS - Your link is from May. Skype changed their minds more times than I can count since that article's come out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones