1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

So, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by HanSolo, Oct 18, 2011.

1. HanSolo

HanSolo Guest

I'm pretty impressed with it. Until I hear about the bootloader issue, though, I'm not convinced. What do you guys think?

Also, it's a beautiful screen (awesome wallpaper), but it's got a lot of bezel, no?

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

i am VERY interested. One thing is key with me. I need to know if its a global device. Since it says it will launch globally in November with only the US version carrying the Droid name. I need to know if that means all of them are global capable.

In fact if it is global it may sway me from the Nexus no matter what the boot loader situation is on the RAzr

3. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Android Expert

Im not a fan of the awkward shape. I also really don't like SuperAMOLED screens. It drains your battery pretty quickly compared to other screens and it's impossible to see in the sunlight compared to others. The colors are also so over saturated they look fake a lot of the times.

Say what you will about pentile matrix screens, but you can see them in the sunlight without ever having to turn the brightness up. You can see a few pixels here and there. But when youre looking at pictures or watching a video, you'll never even notice.

4. ZachMob

ZachMob Well-Known Member

Best designed Android hardware to date. This is going to be the hottest phone this holiday season.

The Galaxy Nexus better be good, or else I will be tempted to get the RAZR and wait for them to upgrade to ICS. World phone is definitely a plus.

5. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Superamoled is better than other LCD techs on battery unless mainly white screen content. Pentile and Super are about the same (on average, since depends on content).

Superamoled is also decent in light but not as good as pentile (nothing ATM is).

6. droidcallx

droidcallx Member

100% buying this. see ya later droid x <------fs! lol

7. rushmore

Looks like it does and has the new micro sim card design:

[​IMG]

8. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

It is pretty impressive, but I'm not in the thinner-is-better camp. Thin is more difficult to hold onto.

I like that it seems to have a Tasker-like app built in.

I have until March to figure out what I want, so looking forward to the side-by-side comparisons, lots of hands-on discussions, and some significant price drops. Maybe even some even better stuff coming down the line by then.

redraider1 likes this.
  9. trophynuts

yeah i've reached out via Twitter to find out confirmation if in fact it is Global.

10. the7nd

the7nd Member

I love the specs and the thin-ness but I hate the capacitive buttons. They look...small and weird. I might just be used to the larger ones on my Droid.

11. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

This will probably sell more than nexus on Verizon due to Moto's strong tie with them. But globally Nexus will sell more as Samsung has way bigger presence oversea. I just feel bad for Bionic folks as they should have gotten this one after such long wait.

12. trophynuts

i agree and believe me they are pissed!!! lol check some of the threads on their side.

13. treb1797

treb1797 Extreme Android User

Don't like the built in battery. I like the option of getting an extended battery if need be.

redraider1 likes this.
  14. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert

Wow I really didn't know much about this phone until today and let me tell you I'm really really impressed. I was deciding between the Nexus and the Vigor but I think this took the Vigor out of the running and moved in front of the Prime . I'm not up for an upgrade till the end of November so hopefully both will be out and I can play with both but the Razr is looking amazing to me I especially like the easy access sd slot

15. Sandroidfan

Sandroidfan Android Expert

I didn't know that until you mentioned it. Also the size is 1780mAh slightly down from 1800mAh I heard before. Hopefully it gets close to what they claim on battery life.

16. treb1797

treb1797 Extreme Android User

Claims are claims. Before it's release Motorola claimed great battery life w/ the Bionic & it's the same as any other smartphone. Thin phone = Bad battery life

redraider1 likes this.
  17. pm1066

pm1066 Android Enthusiast

I'm very interested. Locked bootloader isn't an issue as long as it can be rooted, I'll be happy. Nobody was ever to explain exactly how much worse my life was with a locked Droid X.

Global is good, built in battery scary. I do a lot of airline travel, and having this thing survive a long flight would be nice. Being able to swap batteries is alot more convenient than the majority of external battery pack/chargers I've seen.

Prime had better be heads and shoulders above this...

18. rushmore

That is because normally thin phones have small batteries. This device does not.

19. Russellmaniakw

Russellmaniakw Well-Known Member

Personally I think it was a big mistake for them to release this phone now. They just released the Bionic and have spent who knows how many millions on advertising for that. The RAZR seems like a great phone, but will probably be overshadowed by the Nexus in just a few hours. They should have just let the Bionic run its course and delay the RAZR a bit so they could put ICS on it.

With that said I'm thinking this might be a good phone for my wife since it's so durable, but she'll probably like the Nexus better anyway.

20. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

One word...Christmas.

Jerzie likes this.
  21. jikhead

jikhead Android Expert

Bionic who? Sure sucks if you bought a Bionic. I would feel I was screwed by both MOTO and VW.

22. fastharryDOTcom

fastharryDOTcom Well-Known Member

no replaceable battery and no ICS...no good for me

tell me what you want, batts start losing capacity in 6-8 months...what then?

23. huskerkate

huskerkate Android Enthusiast

the VZW focus group docs that leaked several months ago (and which clearly are tied to the RAZR) said it would be a global device. i expect it will; altho, i would have expected that to be a topic of the presentation this morning, and it wasn't...

EDIT: DL just posted that the RAZR went thru FCC, and has both LTE and GSM radios: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/1...rives-at-the-fcc-lte-and-gsm-radios-included/

24. Bonez

Bonez Well-Known Member

Who told you that? My battery is between 60%-70% at the end of the day, every single day on my Droid X. It has been that same exact percentage since the day I bought it 15 months ago.

Also, it's the original battery and not an extended one either.

Frisco likes this.
  25. huskerkate

huskerkate Android Enthusiast

you must have been lucky. he's right - the general rule is that batteries are designed to maintain optimal performance for 8+ months. if you haven't had to replace your battery, and are still getting great performance, count yourself lucky. but, don't expect that to continue with your next device...

Motorola Droid RAZR