• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

so what is a good upgrade to the D1

nightelvesreasy

Oct 24, 2009
Minnesota
I'm headed to the verizon store this week to get my wife's LG Chocolate Touch replaced, and I was going to look into getting a upgrade for myself, I'm looking to get everyones opinion on a phone to upgrade to from the D1. I'm liking the look of the DX, although I'd miss my physical keyboard, the D2 is just a faster version of the D1, then there is the new Fascinate. I guess I just want a new toy, I love my D1, but coming up on a year, and a free upgrade to burn, its like money burning a hole in my pocket.

Completely subjective as the prior post states. A "good upgrade" is whatever suits you best. Smartphones have never been one-size-fits-all. List out what you're looking for and prioritize your list to focus your search. Is a physical keyboard most important? Is the speed of the processor more important? Are you just looking for new whistles and bells? Otherwise you'll be looking all over the place and considering every possible device. It's like shopping for anything else, really.

Personally, I need more significant improvements to upgrade (LTE, 2+ GHz, multiple cores, etc). YMMV, as always.

Upvote 0
I appreciate everyones input, basicly, I want something new and exciting, and the LTE phones seem too far away from release lol, I'll do some searching around, I really like that 8MP camera and HD video on the DX though, as long as it can be rooted and overclocked, ill be happy

Just because its 8 mp doesn't mean its a good camera. A digital camera is as only as good as its lens and the plate that captures light. If its anything like the Evo's camera your just gonna get large grainy images.

I was personally gonna go with the Droid 2. The X is nice but that big screen must be killer on battery life. From what it looks like they have the same processor and same amount of ram. I also like the Droid 2 for the 8gb of internal memory. It'll still be awhile before heavy modding can be accomplished so custom roms and kernels aren't going to be around for a bit.

Upvote 0
there really arent many phones out there that are more customizable than the D1. it is still a great phone, with lots of potential.

but if you must get a new toy, there really isn't a phone on verizon that is bad when talking about the droids and fascinate. all are great. i think the fascinate is the way to go personally simple b/c i LOVE AMOLED displays, and a 4.3" handset is just to big for me, and 3.7 is a nice size, but 4'' is perfect IMO. it will be rooted and custom romed, and OC'd in no time. getting rid of all the negatives it has stock.

Upvote 0
If you want a keyboard you might wait for this. Keyboard and 4" screen possibly dual core processor. Has GSM for traveling abroad as well.

That's the thing...you can wait wait and wait some more and there will always be "that" phone that will be coming out that's newer than what's out now. You'll never win at this game if you play it that way ;)

Get what you like now and enjoy it.

Upvote 0
i would not go with the fascinate, verizon has dumbed it down with forced bing search and you dont get google maps you get bing maps and you dont get google maps navigate you have to get vcast navigation. i caution against it very much. I was all for it untill i heard all the crap verizon was doing to it. but the screen is really nice

Upvote 0
god I hope they change the keyboard by the release date, its even worse than my old LG Voyager
X2 HOLY COW ... how did that keyboard make it through development.

i would not go with the fascinate, verizon has dumbed it down with forced bing search and you dont get google maps you get bing maps and you dont get google maps navigate you have to get vcast navigation. i caution against it very much. I was all for it untill i heard all the crap verizon was doing to it. but the screen is really nice
wouldnt a custom rom after rooting take care of that .. assuming it can be rooted fairly quickly

Upvote 0
X2 HOLY COW ... how did that keyboard make it through development.

wouldnt a custom rom after rooting take care of that .. assuming it can be rooted fairly quickly

Rooting was about having the Google experience and then more. Why does one have to root to get google experience alone now? That just sucks coconuts dude.

I wonder how Moto, HTC and SS feel about android 3.0 wiping away custom UIs.
In you manufacturers faces! Haha

Upvote 0
Rooting was about having the googe experience and then more. Why does one have to root to get google experience alone now? That just sucks coconuts dude.

I wonder how Moto, HTC and SS feel about android 3.0 wiping away custom UIs.
In you manufacturers faces! Haha

Idk, but sounds great to me. I'm sick of phones having bullcrap like SenseUI, which almost immediately eliminates that as a possible choice for a phone for me. Why'd they have to mess up the D2 by giving it "Senseless"UI hahahahahaa... o_O

Upvote 0
Just because its 8 mp doesn't mean its a good camera. A digital camera is as only as good as its lens and the plate that captures light. If its anything like the Evo's camera your just gonna get large grainy images.

I was personally gonna go with the Droid 2. The X is nice but that big screen must be killer on battery life. From what it looks like they have the same processor and same amount of ram. I also like the Droid 2 for the 8gb of internal memory. It'll still be awhile before heavy modding can be accomplished so custom roms and kernels aren't going to be around for a bit.

I do not understand why in the world you would talk about bad photos the EVO takes and then say you will get the D2. The incredible and DX and the EVO all take much better pictures than the D1 and D2 (Same crappy camera) Yes, you are 100 percent right on how the number of MP does not mean much for photo quality and Yes, the Dinc and DX both have 8 MP cameras but they also have better lenses and take awesome pictures

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones