• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help So what is the benefit of rooting a Gnex?

So im coming from using an iphone (and honestly it is the best move i have ever made i got bored of my iphone) and i would jailbreak it all the time. After i made the switch to android i soon found out about "rooting" and it seemed a lot more complex then simply jailbreking. Anyways, I got my galaxy nexus launch day and i love it the way it is! i guess my main fear is that i dont want to fck up my phone! lol. So anyways is it worth rooting my galaxy nexus? what are the biggest benifits and also how easy is it to do?

You might want to search for some threads on this since there are always a lot of people asking the same question. Anyways, the Nexus is very easy to root. Search for tutorials and ask questions in the rooting forum. Some phones have very easy one click rooting methods but I'm not sure if the Nexus does yet. You might want to at least unlock the bootloader as soon as you can because that performs a factory reset, but there isn't really any way to break the phone doing that and it's very easy to re-lock the bootloader if you need to for warranty issues.

As for advantages, rooting allows you a lot more customization mostly. Look up a tour of Cyanogenmod or something to see what features are common in a lot of ROMs. I've installed a blue softkey mod with menu and search buttons plus a battery percentage indicator as well as a ROM with a lot of new features. You can install custom radios to improve your signal strength and custom kernels to control the CPU clock speed and voltage. That might sound complicated but they're easy to install and usually drastically improve battery life.

Do some searching on rooting and if you have specific questions ask them in the root forum. I think it's very worth rooting, just make sure you know what you're doing going into it and your phone should be fine.

Upvote 0
i rooted for some specific apps. like the previous poster said, it gives you A LOT more access to your phone. Things that a normal user wont even need, things i wont even need. MOST people root their phone for customization and backup purposes. I did mine for backup I am buying Titanium Backup. It will make a literal copy of everything on your phone, you apps, your saved games and settings for apps, everything. Customization wise if you look at the thread "post your home screen" alot of the people on there with really slick icon's and such have rooted their phone and installed new launchers to help manage more things on the phone like icon's settings etc.. the bad thing about rooting your phone is if you do not know what your doing with apps you can really mess you phone up. Common sense goes a long way because if there is an app asking for "super admin" (which you get from rooting) you can tell it NO. when it doubt, say no... your absolute best bet is to read on these forums go to the ALL THINGS ROOTED page when you ready and fallow scary_aliens rooting guide for GSM and LTE. it takes you by the hand lol. also post in their your rooting questions cause they are very very attentive.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones